What's new

When to charge trait

I've started playing around with Captain Cold a bit and I'm curious about what situations you'd spend time charging his trait.

If I get a knock down or am separated from the opponent some, it seems more useful to me to hit BF3 to put up one or two of the damage over time ice bubbles than to hit 4 and charge up the trait a bit to use later. It's slow to charge and doesn't seem to give abilities which add all that much to the game play.

Am I missing something about the usefulness of it?

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Captain Cold becomes more efficient/speedy with his specials the more trait you have charged up.

Hiyomoto

Noob
When I'm getting zoned out, in the middle of my pressure, mid range to bait a jump in, or after a combo. Level 3 is good but don't worry about staying at 2 if you can't go further. Staying at 3 or 2 the whole game makes his zoning a lot better.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
Like previously stated even if you don't go for snow globe shenanigans or armor to close out a game/round, your bf 1 gets speed up for each trait level. So at level 3 you have a very fast moving projectile which helps a lot.

As for trait building, If the opponent isn't techrolling then i go with icicle to end combos otherwise I always go for b23 b232 hold trait for an ender, You can get a decent bit each combo. Also anytime a player gets too spammy I duck and just then tap trait if there is big enough gap. Tapping trait anytime you get a freeze is also helpful. I always just tap trait randomly to see how they react, lots of people get twitchy and you can get a whiff punish. I also will sacrifice a freeze or 2 to build trait if I'm having issues getting trait charge time in in matches where faster projectile is important.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
My go to midscreen charge combo is starter into EX puddle tap 4 f3 d2 tap 4 b232 hold 4. Nets decent damage and the d2 tap 4 leaves them at the perfect height for b232 to connect without much trouble.

You can technically hold trait after puddle a second but being an online warrior I feel it can lead to drops on anything but stellar connections.

Last edited:

Somea2V

Thread Referee
To emphasize, you should be tapping trait, if not charging, every chance you get. If all it did was speed up BF1, you would still want to get it as charged as possible. And the tap method is reliable because you can sneak it in safely between so many things. And for those who don't know, it's five taps to 1 bar, eight more to 2, and ten more to full trait.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
There are a ton of possible situations that you can take advantage of to charge your trait. Those are:

1) After you MB Big Freeze (Ice Trap) him. Works in the same timing like Icicle before F3.
2) When you get zoned by those who can zone only straight like Sub Zero's Iceball, you just duck, and then mash up the button to charge it before your opponent re-zones you. Rinse and repeat.
3) When you put an Ice Trap against a CQC character that has no way to reach you, like Catwoman, Flash, etc.
4) After you end the combo into B232 cancelled into full charge (hold it).
5) (New way that might work, but needs test) You could do F23 cancelled into a tap trait just for the pressure.

Note that each time you tap it, it charges a small amount of the bar. 1 level bar needs only 4 taps, 2 level bar needs 6 taps, and the last needs 10 taps. The full charge can charge only one bar, so be mindful of this bait.