What's new

When/how to use pokes and small combos.

Okay, I need help with when and how to use pokes and small combos. For example, when I'm playing people who are better than me, they always use pokes to open me up, and I end up stuck in a combo. I get the idea behind pokes, they are a quick attack to open/interrupt your oppenent, but how often should you use them? For the experienced players who read this, when you start to do pokes on an opponent, when do you stop? When they open up? I feel like I don't have the reaction to go into a full combo after I hit them with a poke.

Also, when it comes to smaller strings, how do you use those? Sometimes the options you have to lead into a longer, high damage string aren't there, so you can't do them. Is there ever a time you just opt to go into a 3 hit string? For example, my main is scorpion (ninjutsu), and his strings b121, 212, b32f2, and f42 I don't really know when to use. I didnt put this in the scorpion thread because I want to hear what you all do with your characters too, and about this in general, with and without scorpion.

Dinosaur

Data Collecting
hit confirm is life

for smaller strings i cant imagine its ever an advantage to cut a string short unless your going for a hard knockdown setup.

you'll see smaller strings in tourneys but those are meterless combos and they're not cutting them short on purpose, they're squeezing every bit of damage they can out of them without wasting bar.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Poking is a huge part of MKX. Landing a poke does not grant you a full combo unless your opponent decided not to respect your turn and pressed buttons. If you land a poke and your opponent always presses, use a mid attack to keep them in check. This way they will block next time you land a poke, which will open doors for other strings/throws. Try not to mash pokes. If the opponent blocks it will leave you negative, which means it's their turn....unless you're playing on a bad connection.

Poking is a huge part of MKX. Landing a poke does not grant you a full combo unless your opponent decided not to respect your turn and pressed buttons. If you land a poke and your opponent always presses, use a mid attack to keep them in check. This way they will block next time you land a poke, which will open doors for other strings/throws. Try not to mash pokes. If the opponent blocks it will leave you negative, which means it's their turn....unless you're playing on a bad connection.
Sometimes it's good to actually get pokes blocked because you can use armor afterwards, I think this is also called counterpoking not sure though. Make sure not to be predictable it's the key about anything in fighters. Parts of the strings are great but try to use those that are not minus on block, like at least 0. My main is sub zero where I don't have really great choices, but I use normals like standing 1 (which is kinda bad because it's a high), d4, f3, f4, f12 (in cryo), b33, 12 and so on. Not all of those are plus or neutral on block, even if you use smaller strings that are slighty minus, you can still armor on block if your opponent is not ready. If you notice he knows it's his turn, it's always best to block next. This is actually quite hard with certain characters because they can hardly extend they pressure, sub zero is the perfect example. Then you have some characters like LK or CC for example who can blockstring for days because they're plus on almost everything. It's way harder to play those characters with weak blockstrings because you can only get 3 to mostly 4 hits in a blockstring and then you have to block again. If your character has safe 50:50 options always go for those, that's kinda cheap to me, but it's still most effective. However on sub zero case again, only b33 low is really safe up close, so most players will never risk slow startup b2 in point blank range, unless if at great advantage after some hits or if the opponent is already conditioned to blocking. So if your opponent knows the matchup and you're close, he'll mostly block low. When you're a bit away he'll block high because you have safe overhead. You can still throw them or slide at distance to mix them up, but slide is full combo punishable so smart players won't rely on it much.

Well sorry for making this a very confused post, basically you just gotta know your character and his/her plus, neutral normals. And always remember not to poke too much cause opponent will just block low and it will be his turn after every blocked poke. You just gotta be unpredictable, know when it's your turn plus have balls to execute your safe strings. Some begginers (including myself, when I was a begginer) don't have balls to actually play the full blockstrings playstyle because they're afraid to get punished, that's why they poke way too much. Try to avoid that. If you'll know when it's your turn and just have the balls to use 50:50, opponent won't be able to block everything, then it's only important that you do not drop your combos and squeeze as much damage as possible.

Last edited:
hit confirm is life

for smaller strings i cant imagine its ever an advantage to cut a string short unless your going for a hard knockdown setup.

you'll see smaller strings in tourneys but those are meterless combos and they're not cutting them short on purpose, they're squeezing every bit of damage they can out of them without wasting bar.
So there is never a case where you would do a smaller string? What about for a hit confirm, like you said? Maybe do a string that is safe, to see if you hit, then continue the string into a longer one if you did hit, or cut it short if you dont?

How would a poke that lands not lead into a full combo? When you do a poke, do you think "okay, if it hits I'm going into this combo, and if it's blocked, it's their turn, so I'll block, or armor, etc..."

Can you give me a step by step what-you-would-do in certain situations?

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
So there is never a case where you would do a smaller string? What about for a hit confirm, like you said? Maybe do a string that is safe, to see if you hit, then continue the string into a longer one if you did hit, or cut it short if you dont?

How would a poke that lands not lead into a full combo? When you do a poke, do you think "okay, if it hits I'm going into this combo, and if it's blocked, it's their turn, so I'll block, or armor, etc..."

Can you give me a step by step what-you-would-do in certain situations?
If one of your pokes connects, your opponent can simply hold block. You can do a combo string, but it's not a guaranteed full combo unless your opponent lets go of block or gets caught with a 50/50.

Ok. Lets say my opponent tries to poke me and I block it. It is now my turn to poke. If I see my poke connect I immediately do b12 or F2 with my character. If I see him block my poke, I just hold block for a sec. to see if they will counter poke. You have to be patient and pay attention.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Didn't check the video out but I use pokes to begin pressure and to interrupt my opponent. So I can't use Scorpion as much of an example because I dont use any of his pokes.. but Reptile in example..

I may use a string f412 which is the opening to his bnb for best damage and pressure. If my opponent blocks this string he can punish me but because it's special cancelable alot of times they will continue holding block expecting another attack. If I opt not to do that additional attack then I may go for a poke afterwards. Because they're expecting more. So if they take a moment to punish they will get caught pressing buttons... this was much less complicated in my head sorry it got so wordy.

If one of your pokes connects, your opponent can simply hold block. You can do a combo string, but it's not a guaranteed full combo unless your opponent lets go of block or gets caught with a 50/50.

Ok. Lets say my opponent tries to poke me and I block it. It is now my turn to poke. If I see my poke connect I immediately do b12 or F2 with my character. If I see him block my poke, I just hold block for a sec. to see if they will counter poke. You have to be patient and pay attention.
The part I have trouble with is "if I see my poke connect I immediately do...." usually by the time I see it connect, I am too late to do anything about it, I guess it's just a reaction thing. I could also just use a poke that is not that negative on block, but is really good on hit. Scorpions down 4 starts in 8 frames, is -7 on block, and is +18 frames on hit, so I would have 18 frames to do something on hit, right?

Didn't check the video out but I use pokes to begin pressure and to interrupt my opponent. So I can't use Scorpion as much of an example because I dont use any of his pokes.. but Reptile in example..

I may use a string f412 which is the opening to his bnb for best damage and pressure. If my opponent blocks this string he can punish me but because it's special cancelable alot of times they will continue holding block expecting another attack. If I opt not to do that additional attack then I may go for a poke afterwards. Because they're expecting more. So if they take a moment to punish they will get caught pressing buttons... this was much less complicated in my head sorry it got so wordy.
This is a great example. Scorpions string b121, and 212 are both safe (-1 and -4 respectively) and can both be canceled into specials after the second hit. I could use these combos all the way through if the opponent blocks, and if I catch them pressing buttons is full combo punish

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
The part I have trouble with is "if I see my poke connect I immediately do...." usually by the time I see it connect, I am too late to do anything about it, I guess it's just a reaction thing. I could also just use a poke that is not that negative on block, but is really good on hit. Scorpions down 4 starts in 8 frames, is -7 on block, and is +18 frames on hit, so I would have 18 frames to do something on hit, right?
Well, some characters pokes have more hit advantage than others that can help with a reaction issue, but yea you'd have 18 frames to do something. If I'm not mistake, his f2 is guaranteed after landing a d3 or d4. I can't remember for sure.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
When to poke and what to do after you poke stems off what you know about frame data and character knowledge. Study characters frame data so you can know what pokes, strings, specials etc you can do after your opponent is done. When you do that. reacting to the poke you just did will become much easier.

Well, some characters pokes have more hit advantage than others that can help with a reaction issue, but yea you'd have 18 frames to do something. If I'm not mistake, his f2 is guaranteed after landing a d3 or d4. I can't remember for sure.
What's weird is, I set the ai to auto block in practice, and no matter what attack I do after a d3 or d4, he always blocks it. I tried doing a standing 1 after a d4 and he blocks it

oaoo94

What's weird is, I set the ai to auto block in practice, and no matter what attack I do after a d3 or d4, he always blocks it. I tried doing a standing 1 after a d4 and he blocks it
Pokes arent meant to start combos lol. the hit advantage property is to stop your opponents momentum

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
What I meant to say is you're guaranteed block pressure. Record yourself doing a d3 or d4 and follow up with a string. Now, let the poke connect and try to counter poke. You'll get hit by the string if it starts with a mid. Its hard to explain this stuff via text lol.

Pokes arent meant to start combos lol. the hit advantage property is to stop your opponents momentum
This is what I need to know lol.... there are probably many fighting game players who aren't too experienced with fighting games who don't know this, but are afraid to ask

What I meant to say is you're guaranteed block pressure. Record yourself doing a d3 or d4 and follow up with a string. Now, let the poke connect and try to counter poke. You'll get hit by the string if it starts with a mid. Its hard to explain this stuff via text lol.
OK, I get it now. A landed poke basically makes it my turn, and a blocked poke gives the turn to the opponent. If I land a poke, what i do during my turn is up to me, but I need to be careful because the opponent might use armor, if the have it. This is because the hit advantage from a an enemy poke, plus the start up of an attack in use if I press buttons, will not be able to beat out the frames of the follow up attack from the enemy

oaoo94

This is what I need to know lol.... there are probably many fighting game players who aren't too experienced with fighting games who don't know this, but are afraid to ask

OK, I get it now. A landed poke basically makes it my turn, and a blocked poke gives the turn to the opponent. If I land a poke, what i do during my turn is up to me, but I need to be careful because the opponent might use armor, if the have it. This is because the hit advantage from a an enemy poke, plus the start up of an attack in use if I press buttons, will not be able to beat out the frames of the follow up attack from the enemy
Its all good man. But yeah read my reply on frame data and just practice it. you'll be fine bro.

Its all good man. But yeah read my reply on frame data and just practice it. you'll be fine bro.
Just so I understand it more, can you explain this too me? Scorpions d4 is +18 frames on hit. If I get 18 frames to do something, and his standing 1 is only a 9 frame start up, how come the opponent is able to block it?

oaoo94

Just so I understand it more, can you explain this too me? Scorpions d4 is +18 frames on hit. If I get 18 frames to do something, and his standing 1 is only a 9 frame start up, how come the opponent is able to block it?
To be honest thats how the game is designed lol. Games like Street Fighter, pokes can lead in to combos. a poke in MK leads more into block pressure and basically makes it your turn. Pokes arent combo starters in MK they are to start or end momentum.

Because during those frames the opponent is allowed to block but nothing else.

One way to practice confirming pokes is to set the dummy to 'block random combo' and poke. If the dummy doesn't block, do a string (so 21 or 11), if the dummy blocks, hold block yourself. Start slow and focus on getting the right answer. This will train your brain to react in the correct way to either situation, but don't expect a few ten minute sessions to last a life time. Build it into your practice routine every day and keep working on it until you're doing in matches instinctually (and even then I'd still do a few minutes a day to keep you sharp).

Because during those frames the opponent is allowed to block but nothing else.

One way to practice confirming pokes is to set the dummy to 'block random combo' and poke. If the dummy doesn't block, do a string (so 21 or 11), if the dummy blocks, hold block yourself. Start slow and focus on getting the right answer. This will train your brain to react in the correct way to either situation, but don't expect a few ten minute sessions to last a life time. Build it into your practice routine every day and keep working on it until you're doing in matches instinctually (and even then I'd still do a few minutes a day to keep you sharp).
This is a really good tip, I will definitely do this. And this makes sense, at first it seemed like there were frames I wasnt counting or something, but it's just how mortal combat works I guess. After a while I won't get bombarded online by everyone else's pokes lmao