What's new

What's your training routine?

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I've been compiling a practice regimen for myself and I'm kind of curious what all of you do to keep practiced up? I'm currently looking at something like this.

10 hit confirm reps per string
5 reps of every combo
5 reps of plus frame pressure/frame traps

Do those every single day no matter what before I play lately. Than I either

A: Play 10-20 ranked sets.
B: Find someone to do a FT20-50 with, preferably someone who uses a character I need MU exp for.
C: Spend 1-2 hours studying things like optimal punishes and spacing situations in the lab.

What do you guys do? Really curious.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
My only routine, really, involves spending 30-40 minutes practicing execution with my top 3 characters. Combos, blockstrings, instant airs and the like.

I suppose from there, I generally tend to look for someome to play as many games with as possible, and after mental burnout has been achieved, I either take a break or spend some time in the lab.

Everything I do is about staying motivated, and for me that requires breaking things up and not falling into monotonous patterns. My lab time probably does suffer as a result of this, however. The problem is, if I force myself into the lab, I often draw blanks w.r.t. what to practice against, or am not creative enough when looking to stuff things. Where as if I go willingly after some games, I know what I need to practice and am engaged enough to come up with creative solutions to problems.

Great idea for a thread, by the way.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I find myself looking up new stuff and copying homework for my characters in whatever game I'm play more than actually sitting around and practicing stuff I already know how to do.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
My only routine, really, involves spending 30-40 minutes practicing execution with my top 3 characters. Combos, blockstrings, instant airs and the like.

I suppose from there, I generally tend to look for someome to play as many games with as possible, and after mental burnout has been achieved, I either take a break or spend some time in the lab.

Everything I do is about staying motivated, and for me that requires breaking things up and not falling into monotonous patterns. My lab time probably does suffer as a result of this, however. The problem is, if I force myself into the lab, I often draw blanks w.r.t. what to practice against, or am not creative enough when looking to stuff things. Where as if I go willingly after some games, I know what I need to practice and am engaged enough to come up with creative solutions to problems.

Great idea for a thread, by the way.
I suppose with Superman it's hard to really know where to go with that, I feel like Manta requires optimization and thus it's important to try and stay on top of all the shit I know of. Hit confirming though is a skill that never hurts to grind ever, I'm already seeing it paying off and I've only been heavily drilling it for a few days.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
My routine consists of going to work or college, doing homework and then playing Overwatch. Every blue moon or two I go to my local or Youph's house and play for the day - where I pick a new character and leach off of Youphs knowledge by constantly asking "what's that on block? What's the optimal combo? What does this character do?"

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
My routine consists of going to work or college, doing homework and then playing Overwatch. Every blue moon or two I go to my local or Youph's house and play for the day - where I pick a new character and leach off of Youphs knowledge by constantly asking "what's that on block? What's the optimal combo? What does this character do?"
"why did you rage quit tym after getting demodded?"

etc

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I wanna see Cherny play Superman. My man would be rising grab input error and f3 after f23 trait city.
Probably true of most people who complain that Superman is too easy, but don't play him. At the very least, getting the optimal timing after f23 trait cancels can be exceedingly difficult.

That said, can we not let your beef carry over into every thread the two of you start or participate in? Let's all be adults here and judge a thread on its own merits, not your personal feelings towards the person who started it.

Sazbak

Noob
Probably true of most people who complain that Superman is too easy, but don't play him. At the very least, getting the optimal timing after f23 trait cancels can be exceedingly difficult.

That said, can we not let your beef carry over into every thread the two of you start or participate in? Let's all be adults here and judge a thread on its own merits, not your personal feelings towards the person who started it.
I started to practice Superman yesterday and noticed that F234 can be disrespected easily if you mistime it even a little so I tried mashing F2 after the trait cancel and confirm it into F23 breath. This way people have to respect my trait cancel mostly but it wears down my wrist and fingers so I might just opt for learning to time it better.

Tweedy

Noob

I think you're kinda stretching it here. Cherny and I aren't beefing in every thread, or any unless you count statuses? He mentioned Superman in this thread and is talking about training routines so I don't see why my post is a problem. Maybe you're reading too deeply because of our status beefs.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I think you're kinda stretching it here. Cherny and I aren't beefing in every thread, or any unless you count statuses? He mentioned Superman in this thread and is talking about training routines so I don't see why my post is a problem. Maybe you're reading too deeply because of our status beefs.
Possibly, with regard to your post. I recognized the ambiguity as to whether or not your post was intended as an intentional dig at someone you were arguing with previously when I responded.

I'm more concerned about the flurry of posts following my first in this thread randomly attacking the OP, which I can only assume are the result of your previous argument. You are a top player, and people look up to you. Which means that you will pick up lackeys, whether you like it or not, and they will try and fight your battles, whether you like it or not.

My post was directed at them as much, if not more so, than it was at you. My hope was that if you said anything, we could quash it and carry on like adults in this thread.

Last edited:

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Who the hell has that much time to play every day?

It sounds like something that can be done in just a couple of hours. Most people have 2-3 hours of free time a day.

There's no need to go around judging people's lifestyles anyway. Some people's economic situation dictates that they have to work for the entire day, some people have to spend most of their time studying for classes, some people work jobs that still allow for plenty of free time, and some people are unemployed. It's really none of anybody's buisness, and completely irrelevant to the thread.

Possibly, with regard to your post. I recognized the ambiguity as to whether or not your post was intended as an intentional dig at someone you were arguing with previously when I responded.

I'm more concerned about the flurry of posts following my first in this thread randomly attacking the OP, which I can only assume are the result of your previous argument. You are a top player, and people look up to you. Which means that you will pick up lackeys, whether you like it or not, and they will try and fight your battles, whether you like it or not.

My post was directed at them as much, if not more so, than it was at you. My hope was that if you said anything, we could quash it and carry on like adults in this thread.
why do u talk like this? pls stop

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
What the.. hell?

What's with the spite and judgement in here? So, we talk about and praise the sheer amount of work and time required to become a pro level player, and the time and effort required to MAINTAIN that status.. but when someone is putting in the time and effort to be as good as they possibly can be.. we insult them? So if Sonic Fox spends hundreds of hours grinding and preparing and practicing, its fine. But if I, or some other 'regular' player do it to try and get good at our hobby of choice, we're judged negatively?

That's about six shades of bullshit right there. Like Underground said, most people have a few hours of free time a day, and if you dont, that's fine, that doesn't mean someone who does is somehow in the wrong, or inferior or in any way deserving of your judgement and derision.

What the shit? I'm sorry if you dont have any free time, or very little, or choose to spend that time in a different way.. I could be insulting here but I wont, there's enough of that in this thread - a thread that should be quite a nice and interesting one - already. Some of the responses here are pretty damn immature.

Jesus.

Any way, to the topic a hand.

I usually have a little notebook that I jot things down in, and my practice is based on that.. I always run through my BnB stuff, but rarely a set number of times. I just run through until I feel like Im warmed up. Then I like to switch to some execution that's difficult, or giving me trouble. I keep this up for 10-20m, longer if my mind starts to wander., then I'll usually practice basic hit confirms for about the same amount of time. Then I'll move over to spacing. I'll try to get used to the ranges of very important moves and such - using Beetle as an example, the absolute tip range of f23, or shield bash, or whatever. I'll try to dash and jump around and then sort of lock back into those important ranges. Usually only do this for a few minutes.

The above training and practice stuff I also tend to sort of garble all together.. I dont really do a block of this, then a block of that and so on, but kind of flow through it. I might do a few reps of a combo, then mess with spacing, then roll back into another combo, then hitconfirms, and so on. I just kind of roll through it all until I get bored.

Finally, if there is something in my notes I had trouble with, or feel I need to work on, I'll do so now. Maybe practicing a specific whiff punish, or my options vs something I ran in to that gave me trouble.

Then I jump on and play. I'll just hunt out sets and play a bit vs whoever I can find.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
why do u talk like this? pls stop
Id much prefer you stop - as would most people I assume. I know, I know, non-trolling posts made by adults in an attempt to be mature and reasonable about something are scary and hard to understand. Its the internet after all, and everything should be written in text message shorthand with an attempt to be edgy and trolly and "funny", because HAH OMG LOOK HOW LOL-ABLE THAT GUY SAID A THING USING REAL WORDS AND IS TRYING TO BE MATURE AND HAVE A DISCUSSION ON A DISCUSSION FORUM LOL LOOK AHHA..

I'll just block you. You arent worth what Ive already typed.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Normally when I pick up a new character I just spend a day, sometimes 2-3 labbing them. Training muscle memory for bnbs, AAs, air to airs, stray hit conversions, bgb combos, looking into pressure possibilities, as well as checking out all their weaknesses and gaps, and what I could do to establish a meta there if the gaps are big enough for concern.

After that, I look into their oki game and what the cast's answers are for said oki so I can be prepared to counter. When I feel I've got a good grasp, then I'll jump into matches and usually won't visit the lab again until I come across something that gives me trouble or I notice a specific combo (intractable combos for example) is lacking optimization.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It sounds like something that can be done in just a couple of hours. Most people have 2-3 hours of free time a day.

There's no need to go around judging people's lifestyles anyway. Some people's economic situation dictates that they have to work for the entire day, some people have to spend most of their time studying for classes, some people work jobs that still allow for plenty of free time, and some people are unemployed. It's really none of anybody's buisness, and completely irrelevant to the thread.
You’re reading way too much into it, I’m not trying to offend anyone. Christ lol

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
You’re reading way too much into it, I’m not trying to offend anyone. Christ lol
It wasn't just you that I was addressing. There were already a handful of similar posts in this thread and I felt the need to address the fallacy.

If my post came across as overly harsh or critical of you personally, it was completely unintentional and I apologize.

Last edited:
THE CYBORG LEG DAY TRAINING REGEMENT

Hit BNBs 10X
Hit BNB setups 10X
NB fireballs 10X
Walk back NB fireballs 10X
IAFB on left side X10
IAFB on right side X10
Walk forward IAFB X5
Walk back IAFB X5
NB into TA X5
Grapple back X10
Grapple forward X10
d1 PF buffering X10
NB cancel out of every normal and string X3
1NBXX2NBXX3NBXX11NBXX12NB....
RUN 10K
100 pushups
100 situps

REPEAT 3 TIMES A DAY ON SUPERGIRL FOR MAXIMUM RESULTS!!!!