What's new

What's the current state of Captain Cold

omooba

fear the moobs
Just asking cus i know pre viennality he was accepted as bottom tier. Has that opinion changed or nah

haketh

Noob
sooooo which of these are real answers and which ones are basic trolls who that think they're not saying a joke other people have made thousands of times
To give you a serious answer he has problems, but when fighting primarily rushdown characters without projectiles he can keep them locked down & out for a long time. He struggles really hard against Darkseid, Deadshot, & Aquaman but can demolish characters like the Flash or Bane. Personally I think he's in the 20-15 spot on the list of the characters tier wise.

Hiyomoto

Noob
sooooo which of these are real answers and which ones are basic trolls who that think they're not saying a joke other people have made thousands of times
Alright not exactly top 5 but I think he's a really good character that you have to think outside of the box to use viably. I see a lot of downplaying in this section where people make it sound as if it's literally impossible to win any matches with him but I have had fair success with him. I'm calling it now that people will bandwagon once more dirt gets revealed. But to answer, top 15?

omooba

fear the moobs
To give you a serious answer he has problems, but when fighting primarily rushdown characters without projectiles he can keep them locked down & out for a long time. He struggles really hard against Darkseid, Deadshot, & Aquaman but can demolish characters like the Flash or Bane. Personally I think he's in the 20-15 spot on the list of the characters tier wise.
lower mid tier, got it
Alright not exactly top 5 but I think he's a really good character that you have to think outside of the box to use viably. I see a lot of downplaying in this section where people make it sound as if it's literally impossible to win any matches with him but I have had fair success with him. I'm calling it now that people will bandwagon once more dirt gets revealed. But to answer, top 15?
upper mid tier, got it

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Struggles against (IMO):

Deadshot (Shuts down)
Harley Quinn (Shuts down)
Poison Ivy (Shuts down)
Darkseid
Aquaman (But this could have definitely changed post-patch since @SonicFox5000 says he wins this MU now)
Dr. Fate
Black Adam
Firestorm*
Wonder Woman*
Red Hood*

Will probably struggle against Starfire just based on her kit.

There are other characters that are basically just hard 5-5 matchups like Green Arrow/Lantern and even Joker for some reason. He's basically a mid-tier that shuts down certain characters but gets shut down by some as well.

*Up to debate

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
I think a "very even MU." Call me crazy, but based on the matches I've played, he goes even with Darkseid and Fate. Against Fate, he can condition with his own projectile at midrange, shutting down setups. His wakeup baited with icicle is also a full punish. Against Darkseid, he can win a zoning war at half screen and has a ton of time to charge trait. Plus, that amazing d2. Teleport out of globe can be easily full combo punished every time (the startup makes the recovery frames much more obvious). Oki suddenly revolves around crossups and jumps back, so you have to play that differently, but the pressure into bait is still there.
Adam is a hard MU for everyone but I think he still has good options and bullies him in the corner. I also think he does better against Ivy than you might expect by employing the same strategy as Fate, and the payoff in the corner is even better. He gets *destroyed* by Arrow and Deadshot, and Joker can be very difficult in my experience. I would definitely take Firestorm, Hood, or WW in a MU over Joker.
I think he wins the Lantern MU. Lantern can threaten with his laser shtuff, but even lvl 0 trait zones out every other option. I play Scarecrow as well, so it's nice to have Cold for the Batman MU. I think he does really, really well there. I think his other winning MUs are pretty obvious.

snort

Noob
Struggles against (IMO):

Deadshot (Shuts down)
Harley Quinn (Shuts down)
Poison Ivy (Shuts down)
Darkseid
Aquaman (But this could have definitely changed post-patch since @SonicFox5000 says he wins this MU now)
Dr. Fate
Black Adam
Firestorm*
Wonder Woman*
Red Hood*

Will probably struggle against Starfire just based on her kit.

There are other characters that are basically just hard 5-5 matchups like Green Arrow/Lantern and even Joker for some reason. He's basically a mid-tier that shuts down certain characters but gets shut down by some as well.

*Up to debate
Jokers gun shot keeps Cold in check. WW might be even due to ice puddle neutralizing her.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Yeah, basically very even matchups. Best I can describe it is like Liu Kang vs Smoke or Johnny Cage in Mk9. They were considered 5-5 but it's a slug.

I just need to grind the Lantern MU more but it didn't seem too bad. Joker is seriously just a damn pain.

Wonder Woman is also a chore because her projectile is just ridiculous in that mu, and she's so safe up close. It's just really tough for some reason.

snort

Noob
I think a "very even MU." Call me crazy, but based on the matches I've played, he goes even with Darkseid and Fate. Against Fate, he can condition with his own projectile at midrange, shutting down setups. His wakeup baited with icicle is also a full punish. Against Darkseid, he can win a zoning war at half screen and has a ton of time to charge trait. Plus, that amazing d2. Teleport out of globe can be easily full combo punished every time (the startup makes the recovery frames much more obvious). Oki suddenly revolves around crossups and jumps back, so you have to play that differently, but the pressure into bait is still there.
Adam is a hard MU for everyone but I think he still has good options and bullies him in the corner. I also think he does better against Ivy than you might expect by employing the same strategy as Fate, and the payoff in the corner is even better. He gets *destroyed* by Arrow and Deadshot, and Joker can be very difficult in my experience. I would definitely take Firestorm, Hood, or WW in a MU over Joker.
I think he wins the Lantern MU. Lantern can threaten with his laser shtuff, but even lvl 0 trait zones out every other option. I play Scarecrow as well, so it's nice to have Cold for the Batman MU. I think he does really, really well there. I think his other winning MUs are pretty obvious.
Ivy owns Cold, don't fool yourself.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Jokers gun shot keeps Cold in check. WW might be even due to ice puddle neutralizing her.
It INDEED neutralizes her, however, if Cold keeps away from the trap, she can't reach him no matter what, resulting her vulnerable to all kind of zonings.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
Yeah, basically very even matchups. Best I can describe it is like Liu Kang vs Smoke or Johnny Cage in Mk9. They were considered 5-5 but it's a slug.

I just need to grind the Lantern MU more but it didn't seem too bad. Joker is seriously just a damn pain.

Wonder Woman is also a chore because her projectile is just ridiculous in that mu, and she's so safe up close. It's just really tough for some reason.
I totally agree. Unless you can keep enough room to out range shield toss It can be tough. I fell like Cold only fights this MU optimally at pretty much full screen.

Joker is the other MU I have the hardest time with but I think that is more of a lack of knowledge issue as I haven't rally labbed against him much.

Overall I agree that he is MU dependant and not much of an all rounder.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
What would you expect when we already know that Cold gets raped by the whole zoning group? And to answer your question. Top 20?

omooba

fear the moobs
What would you expect when we already know that Cold gets raped by the whole zoning group? And to answer your question. Top 20?
from what i heard there's only like 3 zoners that cold can't counter zone at all and even that some people disagree with.
regardless i still expect a reasonable conversation from reasonable which for the most part is what is happening now