What's new

What's the best way to find/learn Gaps in combos, and how to punish them?

Gamer68

Fujin!
I'm a some-what above average player who's trying to get better, and today I played someone who was WAY above my skill level. He was playing Shinnok and was giving me some pointers while playing (and after too). He mentioned that some of the combos he was doing actually had gaps in them and I could punish him when he did them. The issue is that I don't know where all the gaps are and even if I did, it would only know Shinnok's. What about the other 30+ fighters in the game? On top of that, I don't know exactly HOW to punish them (or rather, the best way).

So my question: What's the best way to find gaps in combos and/or the best resources to learn about them. And what should I be doing to punish them?

9_Lives

Noob
Pick the character you're having trouble with, select another character and set them to use an armored reversal. (not all special ex moves have armor, so make sure to take that into account.) The AI will reversal on the first available frame, thereby exposing the gap.

If you want to practice getting out of them, set the AI to record, then do the block string in question and try backdashing or armoring to get a hang of the timing. Good luck!

Gamer68

Fujin!
Pick the character you're having trouble with, select another character and set them to use an armored reversal. (not all special ex moves have armor, so make sure to take that into account.) The AI will reversal on the first available frame, thereby exposing the gap.

If you want to practice getting out of them, set the AI to record, then do the block string in question and try backdashing or armoring to get a hang of the timing. Good luck!
To find gaps: Use kung Lao as CPU and have him reversal everything on block.
To find punishes: Use your character to test out the best punishes
Thanks! But I was also wondering if maybe there is some sort of "list" or other resource that lists combos that have Gaps?

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Go to practice mode and set the dummy to reverse backdash. Then do a string and if the dummy backdashes thers a gap. You can do this with anything. Like shinnoks f224 hellsparks theres a gap. Now backdashing just lets you kno there is a gap. Armor is the easiest way to punish a gap. Will you be in tonight? We can get games in if you like?

Gamer68

Fujin!
Go to practice mode and set the dummy to reverse backdash. Then do a string and if the dummy backdashes thers a gap. You can do this with anything. Like shinnoks f224 hellsparks theres a gap. Now backdashing just lets you kno there is a gap. Armor is the easiest way to punish a gap. Will you be in tonight? We can get games in if you like?
Thanks! And I'm pretty sure that F224xxHellsparks was the combo he mentioned that had Gaps. I guess I'll practice punishing that. As for me playing tonight, I don't think I will be able to. I will send you a message if I can, though.