What's new

What were the best and worst buffs/nerfs in MK History?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
With KP2 launching and a completely revamped MK experience, there has been both praise and unrest among some players. People complaining about Tremor, people loving Ferra/Tor etc.

I would like to discuss what you personally think were the best/worst nerfs in MK history?

I want to keep these strictly to MK fighters. It can include any MK fighting title in the past to now.

Here are my nominations based on my personal experience of play:

Best Buff: Mileena's Ex Fade buffs in MKXL. This buff completely made the character useable. When this game first launched, Mileena could not combo off of ANY fades and had no safe way to get off the ground. When NRS buffed the fade it not only completed the variation, it made it completely unique amongst the cast, without being over powered and broken. Well done.

Worst Nerf: Jade's U3 in MK9. Reo came out with one video showcasing how Jade could abuse the U3 string in neutral to keep opponents honest. Apparently NRS caught wind of this and decided to neuter it by making it a high. This left a character who was lacking great mid pressure with virtually none. Opponents could now simply crouch and mitigate almost her entire neutral game. They took a low tier character, and absolutely shoved her in the shitter.

What are your thoughts? What was the best/worse buff/nerf in NRS history?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Best: Giving MK9 Smoke unblockable resets.
Worst: Removing Sub Zero's Ice Puddle restands in MK9 (idk couldn't think of the worst lol)

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Bane is the greatest thing NRS has ever done. And, to think he began his journey as easily the worst character in the game (i.e. pre dash buff, pre-everything) . . . amazing.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Worst: Making Reptile's Elbow Dash punishable on block in MK9. smh why doesn't NRs just let people play the game
13'ers and 15'ers will never learn the joy of playing against online Lord Rektile with his vast arrays of mixups such as Elbow dash into Elbow dash or slide into Elbow dash.

And to answer the question:

Best Buff: The one's given to vanilla Shinnok, the character was complete butt-cheeks until he NRS finally decided to fix him and make him tippy-top of S-tier for a while.

Worst Buff: Any sort of buffs given to a move that was useless and remains useless because there's another move on the same character that outclasses it in every way. Seriously, there's alot of them in NRS history.

Best Nerf: F23 nerfs. Fuck superman.

Worst Nerf: Anything to Cyrax in MK9. Nothing changed

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
13'ers and 15'ers will never learn the joy of playing against online Lord Rektile with his vast arrays of mixups such as Elbow dash into Elbow dash or slide into Elbow dash.

And to answer the question:

Best Buff: The one's given to vanilla Shinnok, the character was complete butt-cheeks until he NRS finally decided to fix him and make him tippy-top of S-tier for a while.

Worst Buff: Any sort of buffs given to a move that was useless and remains useless because there's another move on the same character that outclasses it in every way. Seriously, there's alot of them in NRS history.

Best Nerf: F23 nerfs. Fuck superman.

Worst Nerf: Anything to Cyrax in MK9. Nothing changed
Elbow Dash into Elbow dash is the most beautiful thing in MK that we'll never witness ever again

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
I only got a best, my Takeda getting the love he deserved back a couple patches ago <3 thank the elder gods.