What's new

What version of UMK3 is the "competitive standard"?

IlluvialCE

Ruler of the Skies
Been wanting to get into UMK3 as I've never really played it before but I'm unsure what version to play. I know of UMK3 arcade, UMK3:TE and UMK3+. I would assume UMK3+ is the version that's most respected and played these days as its just the original with bug fixes, but you can never tell with these things.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Its probably Ultimate Cup. You can always just stick with Rev 1.2 or Juggernaut Hack if you are not sure. Some people are playing Team edition and UMK3+. No one is playing Tournament Edition

IlluvialCE

Ruler of the Skies
Its a shame the community couldn't just stick with a single rom... Even Ultimate Cup has like 4 different versions of itself.

Almost all of these seem to do the same thing so I really don't understand why everyone is so split between them. Part of me does just want to stick with the Rev 1.2 since that's the "official" version of the game being the last arcade release and all, but even then it still has the bugs all the hacks sought to fix in the first place.

Its honestly such a turn off from wanting to play the game

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Any original version that has no balance changes is the tournament/competitive standard. So basically, every version except for TE. Also, as @Biggs said, no one plays TE anymore anyway.

I really liked TE, it was new and fun. It also got rid of A LOT of issues, most notably glitch jabs, infinites, corner jab infinites, and a bunch of other glitches. The balance changes were cool and fun to mess around with, but I personally feel the hacker got a little carried away. I think he should have had TE, and then another version with a bunch of character balance changes. I think the main TE should have just gotten rid of most infinites, most glitches, and the corner jab infinites. I would have been okay with keeping GJ’s, or getting rid of them but keeping KJ’s. I just think all the character balance changes turned a lot of people off.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Its a shame the community couldn't just stick with a single rom... Even Ultimate Cup has like 4 different versions of itself.

Almost all of these seem to do the same thing so I really don't understand why everyone is so split between them. Part of me does just want to stick with the Rev 1.2 since that's the "official" version of the game being the last arcade release and all, but even then it still has the bugs all the hacks sought to fix in the first place.

Its honestly such a turn off from wanting to play the game
I mean just download all the versions, there is only a handful. Then when you play someone, just communicate and ask which version y’all want to use. Like I said, every version is technically the same outside of TE, at least gameplay wise.

I do agree though that it’s a turnoff, I believe MAME/Kaillera is a turnoff in general to a lot of people. Most people don’t want to go through all the trouble just to play a 30 year old game hardly anyone even plays anymore anyway. This is another reason I want a console/steam re-release. It’s just super convenient. Imagine if you could play UMK3 on ALL consoles. Including the Switch, previous gen (PS4/XB1), current gen, PC, etc, with rollback netcode. A man can dream I suppose…

nwo

Noob
I mean just download all the versions, there is only a handful. Then when you play someone, just communicate and ask which version y’all want to use. Like I said, every version is technically the same outside of TE, at least gameplay wise.

I do agree though that it’s a turnoff, I believe MAME/Kaillera is a turnoff in general to a lot of people. Most people don’t want to go through all the trouble just to play a 30 year old game hardly anyone even plays anymore anyway. This is another reason I want a console/steam re-release. It’s just super convenient. Imagine if you could play UMK3 on ALL consoles. Including the Switch, previous gen (PS4/XB1), current gen, PC, etc, with rollback netcode. A man can dream I suppose…
Configuring MAME isnt rocket science though, its 2021. Last night there were 20 UMK3 players at once at the MK WaveNet server. We mostly play Team Edition in the USA, the Russians mostly play Ultimate Cup, and the South Amercians mostly play Team Edition ever since the 60fps version. I'm talking MAME not Fightcade, I don't know much about that. Both versions, including UMK3+ (I believe) have rev 1.2 gameplay.

IlluvialCE

Ruler of the Skies
Wait so the community is split between multiple versions of the game and multiple emulator choices?

Dude that's so stupid lol

I'll probably get everything setup for every possible interaction I could have with someone then. Never seen a scene like that before, kinda wild