What's new

What type pf player are you?

dc1902

Noob
In an effort to better understand the mindset of you guys I made this thread. I'll list two types of players and you guys tell me which one best discribes you. There are no right answers.

1. This type of player looks for shortcuts to winning. They don't feel like going into practice mode for very long. They find the strongest or highest tier characters/tactics and let them win matches for them. These players just want to get their win and don't want to work hard for it.

2. This type of goes through the tutorial multiple times. They go into practice mode for hours on end learning frames,punishing, combos etc. These players find a balance between playing characters they like and who they can actually get wins with in reality. These type of players value working a little hard for their wins.

Which type of player are you guys?

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm the type of who enjoys my character despite being top or low tier and make discoveries on my own, don't necessarely watch top players unless i want to take a look at how far behind or ahead i am in certain things.

I see fighting games by translating how people plays it, so in general i have a specific archtype for every meta to suit my needs, but in the end its still a game where the most interesting aspect for me its how to read and counter individuals

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I'm not sure if this is a genuine question out of curiosity or fostered from salt?

But I'll answer the question regardless. I believe all players who are professional/competitive are a blend of both 1 & 2. They should be grinding matchups, learning tech, characters and counters to tools in practice for hours on end and also be looking for the edge. Top players always pick the character with the best tools for the win, the character that has the best odds to win in that particular matchup. Just like how we are not seeing Top 8's with Kotal, D'Vorah, Shao, Frost and Kollector by themselves. That is because top tier characters have better toolkits and do what those characters do but better in every way. Why would I choose a hammer when you have a nail gun available that gets the job done faster, precise and out performs the hammer in every way?

Even though characters like Geras, Jacqui, Cassie and Erron are very strong at what they do they are not win buttons and have thier weaknesses and bad matchups. I do agree that using a character like Kotal is definitely challenging to say the least and you definitely have to work harder for that win but until that balance patch comes its your choice to choose the best tool available not the one that makes you work twice as hard.

The most important tool is learning from your loses and realizing where you went wrong and adapting your gameplay, counters, tech and matchup approach to fill in mistakes you made.

I'm the type who picks Scorpion/Sol Badguy/Paul/Ryu/whatever the most badass looking character is the game has, and rolls with it.

I'm a blend of the worst side of both of em. Barely practice, play the chars I like, not giving a fuck about the tiers. I'm no pro, so I really just try to have fun. I think people take recreational games far too serious.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
these 2 player types you've described are definitely real. But when you put them side by side like that it gives off a kinda negative vibe.

I'm the type of player that keeps up with competitive stuff from time to time but doesn't take it that seriously. If im struggling really hard against a character I'll look for info on that character and practice, but typically i just try to enjoy my time and have fun. It's a video game, not a job so why take it so seriously? I play who's gameplay style lines up with mine or whatever character I like narratively. I dont typically enjoy the very top tiers because they arent typically characters I like or fuck with. Although if characters I like such as Johnny, Noob, Kenshi etc. were top tier, best know I'd be all up in that. Ig im more of a character loyalist type of player in a sense.

The way you worded this question it seems like you have something against number 1.
Edit: yeah it’d make more sense if you just said people who prefer only playing top tier vs people who play whoever they like. Just because someone prefers top tier doesn’t mean they aren’t going to practice

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I'm a loyalist. I tend to stick to the character I like until that character is potato. Then I just quit the game.

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
never did tutorials, but i once spent 8 hours straight in the lab with a character, learning optimals and character specific mix, low profiles, and tools. So I guess I'm #2.

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
Type 2 wannabe. The type of player that knows the theory, do some practice, try to learn matchups (to a some extent) and then, when actually in a match...just sucks

Apart from that, I only use characters that I like. I don't care about tiers too much.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You can’t rely on a character to win for you, if you play better, you play better. Type 1 would be someone who’s lazy and relies on playing ‘lame’. But if you can’t beat lame then it says more about you than the other player. If you want to improve you have to look for flaws in your gameplay, don’t try to discredit someone’s style of playing.

If you are not going to contribute anything useful to this thread then please don't make a post,sir.
Thing is though, it's hard to see the thread as useful because of the way you set this up. You may be genuinely curious, but it really feels like a thinly veiled rant against those you perceive as leaning on some cheap mechanic to collect wins. You may as well ask if we like to work hard for an honest living, or if we're welfare hounding freeloaders that cheat people out of a quick buck at every turn.

I'm the second one, but the question is so loaded I'm not sure anyone would admit to being the first.

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
I haven't said it before, but I have to agree with what some of the people here have noted: the question, as it is made, seems a bit biased.
I think that there are many shades between these two options and, probably, most of the people are somewhere inbetween.

Last edited:

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
If you are not going to contribute anything useful to this thread then please don't make a post,sir.
You're making a clear divide between the bad top tier players who "take the easy way out" and players who, I assume, play the game the way you think it should be played. Not throwing it as an insult but look up David Sirlin's write up on Scrub Mentality.

But if you legitimately had that mindset you would already play circles around lazy players who just use easily abused tactics because you labbed it out and developed a strategy and it wouldnt cross your mind. It sounds like you lost to some BS strat and you're irritated. Which happens, and it's annoying, and it makes you feel like crap, but all you can do is identify it and counter it. Saying "they're just lazy and abusing the game" is just an excuse to not hold your loss

I say this as a mid-tier hero who sighs when his opponent picks Sonya btw. This is a mindset I catch myself going to occasionally and I'm trying to stop it

TrumpKingsly

Skarlet Main Since 1992
Fundamentals yes. Combos no.

Zoning and Grappling yes. Rushdown and Balanced no.

Brutalities yes. Fatalities no.

Mind games yes. Set play no.

Speak your mind and talk shit yes. Force pleasantries and feign grace no.