What's new

What the crap does 'Fuzzy Guard' actually mean?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
So, everyone here has seen this term over the years. I've heard it and read it in threads for multiple fighting games, for years now, but it seems like if you ask 4 people what it actually means, you get 4 answers back, all of them as fuzzy and non-descript as the terms name suggests.

What the hell does it mean? Is it as simple as when you crouch or stand your hurtbox laggs behind you a frame or two, allowing you to get tagged with an OH while effectively standing? (or vice-versa?) cause that doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps it just happens too fast to see, but I dont recall ever seeing someone block an OH crouching, or a low standing and even if its a 1-2frame thing, it would be partially visible I'd think. I get hit by OHs all the time, and every time I do, its cause I stood too slow and got hit in the animation or of course just crouching like an idiot watching the hammer fall. Ive googled it and not gotten any hard results either.. Lots of different descriptions. The main one is the hurtbox thing I listed below.

I know this has been covered in topics, but again, so many different answers.. As it pertains to MKX, what does it mean to say something can be fuzzy guarded, and how does one do it?

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
So, everyone here has seen this term over the years. I've heard it and read it in threads for multiple fighting games, for years now, but it seems like if you ask 4 people what it actually means, you get 4 answers back, all of them as fuzzy and non-descript as the terms name suggests.

What the hell does it mean? Is it as simple as when you crouch or stand your hurtbox laggs behind you a frame or two, allowing you to get tagged with an OH while effectively standing? (or vice-versa?) cause that doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps it just happens too fast to see, but I dont recall ever seeing someone block an OH crouching, or a low standing and even if its a 1-2frame thing, it would be partially visible I'd think. I get hit by OHs all the time, and every time I do, its cause I stood too slow and got hit in the animation or of course just crouching like an idiot watching the hammer fall. Ive googled it and not gotten any hard results either.. Lots of different descriptions. The main one is the hurtbox thing I listed below.

I know this has been covered in topics, but again, so many different answers.. As it pertains to MKX, what does it mean to say something can be fuzzy guarded, and how does one do it?
A fuzzy guard is when you , for example if kenshi is doing his f421 string into his low or overhead, you block overhead first then low, because the overhead is faster, or if shinnok is doing his mixup, you block low first than overhead because its faster. Basically you block a mixup by blocking the faster move first and the slower move second. Also its a bit different than reacting.

Tweedy

Noob
You can't fuzzy b2 low hat and b22.

Like at all. Low hat is 18 frames, the 2nd hit in the B22 string, along with the first hit, are 18 frames as well.

Either you're a jedi night and can react to 18 frames in real matches, or you're holding that mix.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
It's when there exists a high low mixup such that one of those options come out faster than the other, it involves blocking one way then reacting to the slower animation of the second option.

Perfect example of this is Tremor's

2,1 mixup

He can do 2,1,d4 (a low option) or 2,1,2 (an overhead option). The low comes out faster than the overhead such that you can,in theory, block correctly every time.

However, fuzzying is hard to do in the heat of the moment such that it becomes a read.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Literally, it's what the A.I. does in training, when in Auto block mode. Knowing the opponents combo strings is where you know WHERE to block.

d3v

SRK

The confusion probably stems from the fact that there are two definitions of fuzzy guarding.

The traditional 2D definition is a technique to land instant overheads with normals that don't usually hit crouch blocking opponents. The more appropriate term for this is "fuzzy guard break" but people tend not to use that.

The method you're likely looking for in MX is the one that was previously explained to you. Dream Cancel has a handy, frame by frame graphic to show how you should be doing this. Granted it's for KoF, but the principle applies to all fighting games.

Basically, after the first frame (or two) where the faster attack would hit, you switch blocking immediately, in this case, from standing to crouching (as indicated by the directional arrows).