What's new

What skills will be rewarded in Injustice compared to SFV

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Each fighting game caters to a slightly different skill set. For example, Street Fighter V (particularly the initial build with 8 frames of input lag) puts a lower emphasis on reactive play *relative* to past Street Fighter titles (in absolute terms, good reactive play obviously still helps a lot). More broadly, some fighters emphasize reads, some have very high execution barriers, others emphasize the ability to condition opponents, etc.

With that in mind - what skills do you guys think will be emphasized more or less in Injustice 2, compared to SFV?

If I were to start, I'd guess that Injustice will have a higher emphasis on matchup knowledge (lots of looney setups that will blow you up if you don't understand it, even if you have "good defense"). On the other hand, it probably emphasizes mid range footsies less, as the long reaching advancing normals limit how useful walking back and forth is.

Obviously this is speculation, given that the game isn't out yet - just for fun, for those who are interested in thinking about these types of things.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
While it might not be exactly like i1, the skills you need will be mostly the same I feel.

Knowledge: I feel this is one of the bigger things in injustice overall. Knowing what attack hits where, what kinds of setups the opponent can do, what's the best range for each character, where gaps you can armor through are and so on. Injustice has a lot of moves that are not as obvious as games such as SF so you'll need to lab up things to see what your options are against them, especially that in some cases one setup can make you lose a whole life bar which is a brutal punishment for not knowing how to block/avoid 1 setup.

Spacing: Unlike MKX there's no run button so closing in space isn't as easy and it's also a risk as dashes are open if you do them in the wrong time/space. Being aware of the opponent's range as well as yours to capitalize is super important. The mid range game and footsies are more prominent than you think they are, there's not as many advancing strings as you think. Plus characters that do have them will only have one string like Supes' f23. Knowing the range of that string allows you to play around it's range and try to bait it or stuff it with a MB b3 on reads.

Meter management: This is somewhat obvious but the meter in injustice does sooo many things and keeping track of your meter and how to use it efficiently is important in order to do well. There's also trait and how to manage it as a lot of them are essential to maximize the character's potential.

Reactions: This is also obvious but it's important as well. Unlike MKX a lot of the high/low mixups in injustice are either reactable or fuzzy-able, jumps are also easier to anti-air if you have the reactions for it. Grabs are also breakable on reaction.

Execution and awareness:
For combos, setups and where the combo is done. This is in all fighting games really but it's a factor here as well with the transitions and whether you want them to happen or not. Being aware of the interactables, their locations and what they can do is also needed as they are big factor here.

Punishment:
Maximizing every punish is a big deal in injustice because a lot of tools are generally safe so capitalizing on every opening with big damage can be a game changer. If all you punish with is a down 1 into special you're gonna be fighting uphill a lot. Learn what you can punish with for every scenario otherwise you'll get run over.

I feel most of these are generally obvious but it answers your question, I think?
The best thing about injustice imo is that all styles are strong. There is strong pressure, strong mixups and setups, strong defensive options, strong zoning,strong emphasis on neutral and lots of tool to play footsies with. No matter what style you want to play there is a character that can play that way.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
A balanced approach between offense and defense. Street fighter is supposed the be the game designed that way but it looks like inj2 will carry that torch now -_-

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Hopefully the skill of trash talking the game and characters that need to be buffed/nerfed won't be rewarded as highly as SFV.

It was rewarded in MKX tho so I'm not holding my breath.

I think there will be a lot the same, but i'm very curious to see how prominent the evasive roll/air recovery will be.

9_Lives

Noob
I feel like most of the things people have said are also also rewarded in SF with the exception of interactables lol. They're both fgs so a distinction like that is hard to make.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Relative to SF, it seems like the risk/reward on jumping will be less favorable. In SF, most characters get relatively little off a successful antiair.

If injustice 2 is like injustice 1, a successful anti air often yields a juicy combo and for some characters a setup after that.

As such, I think/hope good jumps and anti airs may actually be rewarded more in Injustice 2, contrary to the conventional belief that NRS games are about the mix while SF is about fundamentals.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
lul nrs players crack me up

varied playstyles and defensive options is the only real improvement and i dont mean fundamental concepts like antiairs or reactions thats for sure lul i mean nobody can walk in on you which makes zoning gdlk and things like 1bar pusblock, invincible wakeups, invincible backdashes etc

shouldve made the comparison between mkx and inj 2 that wouldve been better for this site

Last edited:

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
lul nrs players crack me up

varied playstyles and defensive options is the only real improvement and i dont mean fundamental concepts like antiairs or reactions thats for sure lul i mean nobody can walk in on you which makes zoning gdlk and things like 1bar pusblock, invincible wakeups, invincible backdashes etc

shouldve made the comparison between mkx and inj 2 that wouldve been better for this site
IMO the anti air comment is valid, at least for certain characters. Sinestro, Aquaman, etc. rewarded players heavily for having a good antiair game.

Why do you think invincible wakeups, backdashes, and push block are scrubby? The first two are often requested by top SF players and push block def makes games like Marvel deeper.

chores

bad at things
I am only gold in sfv so take it with a grain of salt but with the lack of hard knock downs in sfv i think in inj2 will have a lot more midscreen post knockdown setups. inj1 most characters had dirt after a knockdown which was fun but could get a little heavy on the gimmicks at times.

im also really curious how to balance some of the characters like cheetah with probably the fastest dashes/walk in the game has a command grab that can be meter burned for a 30%+ combo? sfv has nothing like that

i also think with most characters having paths to damage off both lows and overheads that grabs will be less important for opening people up.

i think that midscreen whiff punishing will be more important in inj2 since so many characters have fast advancing normals that lead to dmg

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
One of the things I like a lot about SFV though is that, for the most part, every move is useful. The movesets are very thoughtful. I play Birdie, and I can honestly say that I use (pretty much) every single one of his moves. Meanwhile, NRS movesets are often littered with useless moves and it feels like only half of the buttons/strings/specials actually have a purpose. The others are filler. As a result, I can often learn a few BNBs with a new character and I'm quickly almost as good with that character as my main.

In SFV, a deep understanding of your character really helps. I tried ranking up with Necalli - by all accounts a much better character than my main, Birdie, and didn't get anywhere near my Birdie's rank, despite playing Necalli for a solid two months.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
IMO the anti air comment is valid, at least for certain characters. Sinestro, Aquaman, etc. rewarded players heavily for having a good antiair game.

Why do you think invincible wakeups, backdashes, and push block are scrubby? The first two are often requested by top SF players and push block def makes games like Marvel deeper.
i didnt say theyre scrubby theyre an improvement and defensive mechanics are better but its the same old inj neutral problems, mb roll gimmick aside. 2 or 3 characters maybe having antiairs sometimes doesnt make aas more rewarding lul especially with airdashes still box dashing, still invincible frames too goodluck on those aas my man

i mean you can jab aa with 3f buttons in sfv into a cross under 50/50 what reward am i missing. we both know you cant even think about jumping on gief or cammy. ive never had that feeling in inj 2 or any nrs game for that matter lul

Last edited:

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Comparing sfv to i2 is comparing apples to oranges, but if I have to say anything, I think I2 will benefit defensive play a bit more

-LD50-

In a relationship with Killer Frost
I think there will be a lot the same, but i'm very curious to see how prominent the evasive roll/air recovery will be.
It's obvious air recovery will be stupid prominent. Two bars to break is super high value if someone like supes popped trait for the combo and is about to blow up the rest of your bar. its basically a first round clash