What's new

What people from other scenes are saying about MK11

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Saw that VesperArcade has posted a review of MK11 with a mind for its competitive play. I found this review interesting as it is not from a "streamer" so to speak but an actual competitive player form the SF scene. I think it is super interesting to hear what scene specific players are saying about MK11. So while people like Max or Aris or w/e have huge sub counts they do to represent scenes, they are generalists, (Aris has links to Tekken but the truth is he plays very few fgc games anymore) but people like Vesper are huge in a single scene of the FGC. So I went looking for other scene specific competitive players talking about MK11. With people like Xian, Go1 and other major Anime and SF players streaming MK11 I think it is interesting to see what they are saying.

Vesper Arcade

Justin Wong

Aris
If you know any other videos, from prominent FGC people, preferably top players I would love to see them.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
So... what did they have to say?
I think it is mixed. The ones I know off seem to all be saying the same thing... that they are surprised at how good it is and that it is the best MK they have played. There is a lot of praise for the speed and the defensive systems and focus on footsies but also most complain about unreactable overheads and stuff. Also Fatal Blow seems to get very little comment which surprised me. Everyone loves the netcode.

So if I was to sum it up, it seems that the general consensus from the other scenes is "this game is a lot better than we expected, but not perfect". Aris is the only massively negative comments that I know of.

I dunno but I just find it really interesting hearing top players from other scenes talk about MK.

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I liked Vesper's breakdown of it alot Ari's had some good points as well. I'm basically a MK only player and have been here since 92.
I like the slow pace of MK11, the focus on footsies and neutral, there are 50/50s but it's been toned down dramatically compared to MKX by making them unsafe or for the most part reactible if you are looking for it. Vortex doesn't play as big of a roll as it did in X and there are counters for literally everything so it is a more fair game design.
What I don't personally like is the very basic feel of Characters and how they are lacking and limited in many ways compared to MKX. It doesn't feel like there is much tech and many characters feel bare or like they are missing something some even Braindead. Erron does have some difficult dial combos but other than that it's very basic once you get the rhythm of the character down and muscle memory.
Combos are way shorter and very limited and I personally don't like that change, I'd be fine with somewhere between MK11 and MKX comboability and damage can be scaled however they please.
I just don't want to get board with characters yet and feel many need more depth but I do enjoy playing with Erron, Kotal despite his problems and Sub Zero (but I feel he is a one trick pony, do the mix) Liu Kang is the same but F43 mix.
I don't know if adding Custom variations will change depth of characters but I'd like it and I feel a few more moves could launch maybe adding depth in that area instead of having cancels like X.
I really hope many characters get much needed adjustments. I'd rather sooner than later so I can use my Kotal in tournaments. Some characters where poorly designed Move/frame wise like: Kotal, Lao, Frost, Shao, Kano, D'Vorah and a few others. Jade is a good keepout character but I feel she could have better combos for once and something to add depth, same with Sub Zero (his comboability needs to be better or give him cancels) some Characters may lose safe mix and I'm fine with that just give them depth. Compensate the characters you Nerf please.

I liked Vesper's breakdown of it alot Ari's had some good points as well. I'm basically a MK only player and have been here since 92.
I like the slow pace of MK11, the focus on footsies and neutral, there are 50/50s but it's been toned down dramatically compared to MKX by making them unsafe or for the most part reactible if you are looking for it. Vortex doesn't play as big of a roll as it did in X and there are counters for literally everything so it is a more fair game design.
What I don't personally like is the very basic feel of Characters and how they are lacking and limited in many ways compared to MKX. It doesn't feel like there is much tech and many characters feel bare or like they are missing something some even Braindead. Erron does have some difficult dial combos but other than that it's very basic once you get the rhythm of the character down and muscle memory.
Combos are way shorter and very limited and I personally don't like that change, I'd be fine with somewhere between MK11 and MKX comboability and damage can be scaled however they please.
I just don't want to get board with characters yet and feel many need more depth but I do enjoy playing with Erron, Kotal despite his problems and Sub Zero (but I feel he is a one trick pony, do the mix) Liu Kang is the same but F43 mix.
I don't know if adding Custom variations will change depth of characters but I'd like it and I feel a few more moves could launch maybe adding depth in that area instead of having cancels like X.
Agree with you, I was ok with preset variations because I had something like MKX in mind, where each one has it's own personality. But based on the results, it completely feels like customs variations but fixed. Nothing special, no synergy in moves, no visual changes to the character, just a created character using the same tool we have.

I really hope many characters get much needed adjustments. I'd rather sooner than later so I can use my Kotal in tournaments. Some characters where poorly designed Move/frame wise like: Kotal, Lao, Frost, Shao, Kano, D'Vorah and a few others. Jade is a good keepout character but I feel she could have better combos for once and something to add depth, same with Sub Zero (his comboability needs to be better or give him cancels) some Characters may lose safe mix and I'm fine with that just give them depth. Compensate the characters you Nerf please.
Problem I find with many characters (low tier like you mentioned) is that many strings are pretty much useless because the range is so bad, or they whiff on crouch blocking. Like every single S1 string will whiff if you want to use it to punish subzero slide. I play Frost, and honestly the only string I use is B22, and occasionally B32. The rest are high starters (crap bc everybody mash pokes against frost). This is wrong, I should be able to punish a move like that with every single button, or do I really need to remember which string is supposed to be used against each character unsafe stuff?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Agree with you, I was ok with preset variations because I had something like MKX in mind, where each one has it's own personality. But based on the results, it completely feels like customs variations but fixed. Nothing special, no synergy in moves, no visual changes to the character, just a created character using the same tool we have.

Problem I find with many characters (low tier like you mentioned) is that many strings are pretty much useless because the range is so bad, or they whiff on crouch blocking. Like every single S1 string will whiff if you want to use it to punish subzero slide. I play Frost, and honestly the only string I use is B22, and occasionally B32. The rest are high starters (crap bc everybody mash pokes against frost). This is wrong, I should be able to punish a move like that with every single button, or do I really need to remember which string is supposed to be used against each character unsafe stuff?
Completely agree and you should be able to use your 7-9 frame high Punishers without them wiffing. You are not the only one having that problem. Kotal, Kollector, Frost and Kung Lao all have that problem. Kotal it's his 122 and 22 the first hit wiffs after pushback from my strings or thier pokes. It's retarded when the game us so heavily focused on mids and punishing highs. Having bottom tier characters means you don't have fast mids and are forced to only use highs from footsie range and find ways to get them out with a character not built to win close up.
I hope they fix the lacking characters.