Question What MKX character(s) should I use if I want to improve my fundamentals?

Discussion in 'Fighting Philosophy' started by Boss Savage, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Hey everyone. Title pretty much explains everything. MK11 is out in a few months, and I'd really like to improve my fundamentals before launch. They're pretty horrible at the moment. Truth be told I'm hardly above beginner when it comes to playing fighting games. Basically, I'm looking for a character that stresses the need for good fundamentals in order to get anything done. Doesn't have to be a top tier either. If anything I think a lower tier character would probably be best in this case.

And if people are curious as to what I mean by fundamentals. Basically think of some of the most basic fighting game terminology and basics that would need to be learned if one ever wanted to compete competitively in any fighting game.

I'd also like to thank in advance everyone in the TYM community. The whole site has been amazing when comes to uping your game and leveling up competitively.

2. Badboy Takuma

Badboy Takuma Elder God

i would rather play mk9 but also other good fighting games!

3. leoj89

leoj89 Noob

PSN:
    leoj89
    From my understanding you might want to play IJ2 or SFV if possible instead of MKX while you wait for MK11.

NothingPersonal likes this.
  4. Baconlord

Baconlord HOLD THESE BEAMS SON

Injustice 2. But if you want to stick with mk then probably cyber kano or piercing mileena

gam224, Dankster Morgan and leoj89 like this.
  5. M.D.

M.D. Spammer. Crouch walk hater.

PSN:
    Sw1ngSh0t
    XBL:
    Sw1ngsh0t
    Play variationless that should fix it.

6. Gamer68

Gamer68 *Stares blankly*

Maybe Deceptive/Noxious Reptile? He has a lot of different tools and because of that he usually has something to answer the opponent, but he doesn't really have explosive mix-ups or damage. I feel like you really need to understand your character, the opponent's, and different situations to do well with him but maybe that's just me.

Kano can be very similar to a shoto character from Street Fighter (Ryu, Ken, etc), so that isn't a bad pick either. Because of that he is more of a "traditional" fundamentals character in comparison to Reptile.

Like others said MK11 is nothing like MKX, so you should probably look into learning Injustice 2/MK9 instead.

Boss Savage and Zaccel like this.
  7. Marlow

Marlow Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

I've had similar thoughts, in terms of trying to prepare for MK11. I've heard Ninjitsu Scorpion is a pretty "fundamental" MKX character, but who knows. Fundamental MKX might be very different than fundamental MK11.

One thing you could do is to try and break "Fundamentals" down into their separate parts, and then work on those parts individually in practice mode.

For example, when I think of fundamentals, I think of things like spacing, anti-airs, whiff punishing, punishing after the opponent does an unsafe move, block strings, and frame traps. These are all things you can work on in practice mode, with any character. I'd suggest checking out Gief's Gym on Reddit. He's got a lot of good drills you can do to work on fundamentals. They're obviously for Street Fighter, but you can easily adapt them to any fighting game you'd like.

Baron Greenback and Boss Savage like this.
  8. CrimsonShadow

CrimsonShadow Administrator and Community Engineer
    Administrator

TBH fundaments aren't about what character you play, but rather how you play them. You can work on them with any character.

If you're depending on the character you pick to give you the fundamentals, I'd say you probably looking at this wrong.

Marlow and Spinky like this.
  9. STB Sgt Reed

STB Sgt Reed Online Warrior

Don't play injustice. It'll make you start ducking to block. MK has a block button and thus you should play an MK game to get ready for MK11.

I'd recommend MK9 but there's probably no one playing that online.

I would say characters that rely on good spacing of normals and not too many mixups because they've been toned down in mk11. Look to focus on punishing mistakes and whiffs.

The problem is most characters have dirty mixups. Um I'd say use characters like:

Noxious Reptile
    Pumped up Jax
    Maybe Kenshi to learn good spacing

Boss Savage likes this.
  10. Badboy Takuma

Badboy Takuma Elder God

i heard the pc version is good for online and i am pretty sure it should be no problem to find players here on tym or via discord.

karaokelove likes this.
  11. Badboy Takuma

Badboy Takuma Elder God

"in terms of trying to prepare for MK11"

mk9: nrs fundamentals
    inj2, mkx: online/offline versus

you may also consider to play and explore some good non-nrs games in order to expand your horizon as a player!

all of these available for the ps4:
    street fighter 30th anniversary collection (super turbo, alpha 3, third strike)
    usf4
    guilty gear xrd
    skullgirls
    garou mark of the wolves
    jojo's bizarre adventure
    kof 98

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Boss Savage likes this.
  12. This is actually my viewpoint. I could just pick up any character and learn the game's fundamentals that way. But some characters are pretty brain dead and I don't want to end up relying on a character's crutch that in the end won't help me develop anything meaningful.

I essentially want a character that sucks unless im my fundamentals are on point.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2019
  13. MrWarMachine

MrWarMachine Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020

Honeybee said (and Dragon and Grr agreed) that playing MKX to get ready for MK11 is a bad idea.

I'm in the same boat as you, because I also wanted to try to get back in the swing of MKX things prior to the reveal, I'm probably gonna go back to SF: V and DBFZ for now because more people are playing those. However, MKX is still really fun and worth learning even if all of the things don't transfer over.

Cross Counter Training has a lot of good fundamentals videos worth checking out as well.

Boss Savage likes this.

14. You're the second person to mention reptile and I've been eyeing him for a while now myself. I may just bite the bullet and start practicing my fundamentals with him.

Though I'm starting to think that SFV may be a better place to practice. Tbh I could always eventually do both.

Gamer68 likes this.
  15. CrimsonShadow

CrimsonShadow Administrator and Community Engineer
    Administrator

That's pretty much any character if you're playing against good players. They will expose a lack of fundamentals quickly.

16. karaokelove

karaokelove Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Steam:
    Karaokelove
    I’ve seen @Braindead and @Scott The Scot on the PC version a bit lately, but that’s about it. I’ve been trying to get matches with TYM members for weeks and so far no luck.

Scott The Scot likes this.
  17. Badboy Takuma

Badboy Takuma Elder God

i would make a thread for 2019 mk9 matchmaking.
    discord is the better option though.
    there are multiple servers and even an mk9 one.

karaokelove likes this.
  18. Scott The Scot

Scott The Scot Where there is smoke, there is cancer.

I'm trying to get back into it after like 4 or 5 years. It's a slow progress, but anybody is welcome to fight with me in the preparation phase coming up to MK11.

karaokelove likes this.
  19. karaokelove

karaokelove Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Steam:
    Karaokelove
    Do you play the normal version or the TE version?

Scott The Scot likes this.
  20. methademic

methademic UPR Methademic
    Premium Supporter

Kano

Boss Savage likes this.
  21. Scott The Scot

Scott The Scot Where there is smoke, there is cancer.

Vanilla is my prefered but if people want to play and have the TE version then I will just play that yknow.

karaokelove likes this.
  22. Any specific variation?

23. PapaRegadetho

PapaRegadetho All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!

Variationless Liu Kang is pretty much the best thing,since he has everything a right fundemental character needs in a 2d fighting game. Sagat type of zoning, a good uppercut for anti airing, b2 for spacing and whiff punishing as well as an overhead that splats,fast walkspeed for getting in and out of range for footsies, d3 poke thats plus on block which resembles many other 2d fighting games when it comes to low poking rather than losing your turn after it and aswell some pressure.

Boss Savage likes this.
  24. methademic

methademic UPR Methademic
    Premium Supporter

Cybernetic or Cutthroat, CT may be a 50/50 machine in the corner but he is a pretty footsie based character imo.

Boss Savage likes this.
  25. Thanks for info guys. I'll start looking into these characters to see works best for what I'm trying to do.

PapaRegadetho likes this.