What's new

What mechanic do you miss from previous titles?

So, each new MK game seems to change or introduce new mechanics to 'freshen the gameplay' (e.g. flawless block).

But what mechanics in previous games would you like to come back? For me, its the run mechanic.

Or what new mechanic would you like to see?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Maybe it's just because I'm picking up Virtua Fighter, but I wonder how MK would do incorporating 2 things:

1. Have different hit advantage or crumple states based on normal hit vs counter hit
  2. Play around with stances more using the stance switch button. Give each character a special stance or two or three they can transition into with new moves or follow up attacks.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
So, each new MK game seems to change or introduce new mechanics to 'freshen the gameplay' (e.g. flawless block).

But what mechanics in previous games would you like to come back? For me, its the run mechanic.

Or what new mechanic would you like to see?
First hit bonus. In MK11's case, I'd love for both players to start with only 1 bar of each meter. First hit gives 1 of each. It'd encourage more offensive play to start as getting first hit would mean the opponent doesnt have 2x defensive bars yet to breakaway.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
First hit bonus. In MK11's case, I'd love for both players to start with only 1 bar of each meter. First hit gives 1 of each. It'd encourage more offensive play to start as getting first hit would mean the opponent doesnt have 2x defensive bars yet to breakaway.
I really like this idea. My fear is that the defensive player then it severely at disadvantage for making a mistake or being outplayed when the offensive player will have a chance to break away if they make a mistake. Then again, it might be really good I don't know it's hard to say without trying it out. I think this has potential though.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
While the run mechanic was fun in MKX, it kills footsies and neutral so I am glad they didn't include it in MK11.

I want to have some sort of combo extension tool, like canceling certain moves to extend combos. Some characters like Sonya have it, but I'd like it to be hard(er) in execution and not be a scrub-friendly tool, if that makes any sense.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I really like this idea. My fear is that the defensive player then it severely at disadvantage for making a mistake or being outplayed when the offensive player will have a chance to break away if they make a mistake. Then again, it might be really good I don't know it's hard to say without trying it out. I think this has potential though.
I do see the concern about the big advantage. First hit could just give offensive meter instead of both. However, I feel that wouldn't do a whole lot as most combos are 1-bar only in this game. Maybe first hit grants the player increased meter regeneration speed for like 5-10 seconds?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I do see the concern about the big advantage. First hit could just give offensive meter instead of both. However, I feel that wouldn't do a whole lot as most combos are 1-bar only in this game. Maybe first hit grants the player increased meter regeneration speed for like 5-10 seconds?
That could definitely work. Since meter is gained over time in this game, increased regeneration would make sense.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I actually miss the older MK stage transitions like being able to uppercut your opponent through the ceiling and stuff like that. I liked how they were really fast, and changed the scenery. I would really like to see some stage transitions again, but without the long Injustice cutscenes.

Quick and short Hara Kiri’s could be useful to prevent long ass fatality Cinematics from playing out come to think of it. Would be like quitalities....but you are not actually quitting.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
as long as run never comes back I'm good with anything. only other mechanic I really don't like is breakers but everything else I'd welcome back

Hara Kiri's and Death Traps. Death Traps would more than likely have to be turned off for competitive play but could you imagine how fucking hype a Hara Kiri would be in a grand finals? It hurts that they only ever did them in Deception, it's such a rad concept

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
lmfao acting like combos are missing. You people kill me XD

MK9 style Xrays as the super/fatal. You need your entire meter to use them. Use once, regardless of outcome, gone for the match.
MK9 combo breakers.
Injustice thing that was one bar and let you knock ppl off you. I never really used it, but I feel it could be fun in MK

Ice Clone :p

SOULWARRIOR 71K

XBL: SOULWARRIOR 71K PSN: SOULWARRIOR71K
The one about more combo routes gets me every time I see someone say this. In every MK game people used either the optimal or near optimal combos ( changes usually due to gravity/male vs female). MK11 is the same way.

The other idea I don't want to see is tying fatal blows to additional meter. It's like people are forgetting that it's already tied to the most important meter you have... your life bar meter.