What's new

What made Batman so good in injustice 2?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Overall solid in a lot of areas of the game, and with bats out it game him a good pressure threat which let him move pretty freely.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
he was good at everything. Could zone, could mix, the bats kept him safe or let him confirm off anything. He built meter effectively for batarange explosion safety/conversions and had an easy-bake cross-up with J2.
Kinda crazy, but I guess Batman's whole thing is that he's prepared for any situation.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
he was good at everything. Could zone, could mix, the bats kept him safe or let him confirm off anything. He built meter effectively for batarange explosion safety/conversions and had an easy-bake cross-up with J2.
Kinda crazy, but I guess Batman's whole thing is that he's prepared for any situation.
Wasn't reversal trait also like a 3 frame punish?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thanks to his zoning, he built meter incredibly quickly and safely. He could burn this meter to create a giant explosion in front of him that covered the air as well as hit crouching opponents, launched for a kombo, and was +45 or some shit on block. By the time you got through his zoning, he almost always had plenty of meter to blow on this nonsense.

His trait allowed him to punish a lot of gaps and otherwise safe attacks. Some characters simply couldn't attack Batman while he had access to trait or he would full-kombo punish their gaps. And, since his trait could be used up to 3 times, he almost always had access to at least 1 bat, which is all he needed.

If that wasn't enough, he was also just a very solid rushdown character with nice buttons.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I like it. Having some characters just be better at meter building than others is just something else to make them feel different each other.
I think both ways of doing things have their merits. I played Cyborg in Injustice 2, and I thought it made sense for him to be able to build more meter since he depended a lot more on meter for his zoning, and having meter for defense was more important for him since his wakeup option wasn't quite as good compared to others in the cast.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Thanks to his zoning, he built meter incredibly quickly and safely. He could burn this meter to create a giant explosion in front of him that covered the air as well as hit crouching opponents, launched for a kombo, and was +45 or some shit on block. By the time you got through his zoning, he almost always had plenty of meter to blow on this nonsense.

His trait allowd him to punish a lot of gaps and otherwise safe attacks. Some characters simply couldn't attack Batman while he had access to trait or he would full-kombo punish their gaps. And, since his trait could be used up to 3 times, he almost always had access to at least 1 bat, which is all he needed.

If that wasn't enough, he was also just a very solid rushdown character with nice buttons.
Most of that was pre patch.

Post patch, Bats couldn’t build enough meter zoning as he could pressuring you. It took 27 batarangs to build 1 bar and that’s on whiff compared to other characters which took an average 13. He also couldn’t jail f3/b3 after up bat though it was still +20 ish.

Post patch, Bats couldn’t build enough meter zoning as he could pressuring you. It took 27 batarangs to build 1 bar and that’s on whiff compared to other characters which took an average 13. He also couldn’t jail f3/b3 after up bat though it was still +20 ish.

Batman’s greatest strength was his trait and his vortex, the former was a complete fuck-neutral tool and couple punish things that are even -2 or less. Remember bats have no blockstun but the fear of eating a bat into full combo far outweighed the reward of countering.

Bear in mind I fucking hate Batman

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Forever King's Batman vs Scar's Brainiac at CEO 2018

@6:57:00

This is post meter nerf IIRC. In the second match, Batman got 9 bars of meter(plus one from first hit) which is the same amount of meter that Brainiac built up, except that Batman was still on his first health bar...

Last edited:

colby4898

I think both ways of doing things have their merits. I played Cyborg in Injustice 2, and I thought it made sense for him to be able to build more meter since he depended a lot more on meter for his zoning, and having meter for defense was more important for him since his wakeup option wasn't quite as good compared to others in the cast.
Exactly. Each character having different meter management, effieciacy of building it and how/when to use it etc. I think the meter build in MK11 is awful, feels like you dont really have to manage it cos it comes back over time and different actions use different meter. That's just me though. I also mained Cyborg :)

Crusty

This is post meter nerf IIRC. In the second match, Batman got 9 bars of meter(plus one from first hit) which is the same amount of meter that Brainiac built up, except that Batman was still on his first health bar...

Dunno if this was a response to me. Watched the match and King only built more meter getting hit and pressure vs zoning. King had at most 1 bar before he got hit and gray bared.

DeftMonk

Noob

Who was it that played scarecrow in that one major vs forever king? That was so boring to watch on one hand because of the sheer amount of batarangs flying. On the other hand it was pretty hype when scarecrow finally got in on batman and put the wood to him.

Marinjuana

Dunno if this was a response to me. Watched the match and King only built more meter getting hit and pressure vs zoning. King had at most 1 bar before he got hit and gray bared.
I saw your post but it was a general response cause I think this set highlights what made the character cheap, but I also think that projectile meter game from Batman was still a big factor. People also mentioning the merits of MK11's meter system and this character kinda highlighted some of NRS's struggles with meter.

Most of the meter comes from getting hit and sure pressure but even after a meter build nerf, you can still see Batman building meter faster than Brainiac in three matches. Some characters really had to eat his projectile game and that allowed him to get the meter advantage on top of controlling that pace. It was a smart nerf by NRS but that was still an issue.

Poor Whiteboi, character was downplay city when he had that J2 and pre nerf meter

Last edited:

Crusty

I saw your post but it was a general response cause I think this set highlights what made the character cheap, but I also think that projectile meter game from Batman was still a big factor. People also mentioning the merits of MK11's meter system and this character kinda highlighted some of NRS's struggles with meter.

Most of the meter comes from getting hit and sure pressure but even after a meter build nerf, you can still see Batman building meter faster than Brainiac in three matches. Some characters really had to eat his projectile game and that allowed him to get the meter advantage on top of controlling that pace. It was a smart nerf by NRS but that was still an issue.

Poor Whiteboi, character was downplay city when he had that J2 and pre nerf meter
I feel the set more highlights just how much Brainiac struggles vs Batman as he is his worse mu more than anything else. Brainiac builds a lot of meter vs most of the cast once you know what you're doing, the problem is vs Batman the way he's gonna go about it - he's gonna get clapped. Batman just keeps Brainiac in check, that character is just nuts. Watch Mason's Brainiac play, you'll see what I mean.

Marinjuana

I feel the set more highlights just how much Brainiac struggles vs Batman as he is his worse mu more than anything else. Brainiac builds a lot of meter vs most of the cast once you know what you're doing, the problem is vs Batman the way he's gonna go about it - he's gonna get clapped. Batman just keeps Brainiac in check, that character is just nuts. Watch Mason's Brainiac play, you'll see what I mean.
It's not about Brainiacs mb against rest of cast, it's about Batman

Crusty

It's not about Brainiacs mb against rest of cast, it's about Batman
The meter build problem on hit is less of a Batman problem and more of a general one as there have often been circumstances that the opponent just gets 3/4ths of a bar over just eating an entire string on hit. The meter system was just extremely disproportionate to not just those who controlled neutral more but also hit vs block; it’s like you’re rewarding mashers at this point.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
As soon as they switched his batrang animation it was over. Ultimate rushdown character and with just enough zoning to play keep away.

Up rang MB is crazy, 0 whiff recovery, plus on block, blast radius is ridiculous.

And trait of course

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies

Painful to watch

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think the meter build in MK11 is awful, feels like you dont really have to manage it cos it comes back over time and different actions use different meter.
To me it's just a different way of managing meter. It comes back over time, but it's independent of your actions. So choosing to use offensive meter means you're guaranteed to not have that bar for a set amount of time. Still some decision making to be done. For example, a lot of characters need meter to launch, and also have high projectiles that add a mid follow up on meter burn. So a Barakka or Sonya player can choose to spend both bars for some zoning pressure, but then they're without meter and unable to do a strong punish until they get at least 1 bar back.

I also kind of like how different meter does different things, it feels more intuitive to me. I'm curious to see if they go back to building meter through actions if they'll still separate the meter. That way you could tie different actions to building different meter. For example doing block strings builds or special moves builds offensive meter, while blocking or taking damage builds defensive meter.

colby4898

To me it's just a different way of managing meter. It comes back over time, but it's independent of your actions. So choosing to use offensive meter means you're guaranteed to not have that bar for a set amount of time. Still some decision making to be done. For example, a lot of characters need meter to launch, and also have high projectiles that add a mid follow up on meter burn. So a Barakka or Sonya player can choose to spend both bars for some zoning pressure, but then they're without meter and unable to do a strong punish until they get at least 1 bar back.

I also kind of like how different meter does different things, it feels more intuitive to me. I'm curious to see if they go back to building meter through actions if they'll still separate the meter. That way you could tie different actions to building different meter. For example doing block strings builds or special moves builds offensive meter, while blocking or taking damage builds defensive meter.
The fact that it comes back just overtime means each character manages it in the same way. In that it's basically managed for them by the game. Makes each character feel more copy and paste. Obviously you have to decide when to spend it and what on but that's it. And the fact that you have two bars, which both come back over time separately takes away even more meter management. In X for example you have to think, do I use these 2 bars for breaker or take the combo and save the bar to use for my launchers to make a comeback, or armour etc. Here it's like yeah I may as well breakaway cos I'll still have my offensive bars to combo anyway so fuck it. There's a little bit because obviously you have wakeup options, but no where near as much I think. Especially as fatal blow is another fuck it move which isn't tied to meter, and also regenerates on it's own over time if you fuck it up. Idk I just fucking hated most the mechanics of this game tbh. Dont even get me started on the absolute dog shite "custom" variations which somehow feel more limited than the MKX system... Literally the most disappointing game of my life lol

Marinjuana

I think there's more management then people give credit for, whiffing a wakeup hurts, bad breakaways can lose a match, some characters play with defensive meter for cancels... But it's definitely less of a factor then in games like Inj2 or MKX.

But I also think there's nothing inherently interesting about meter that you gain from taking damage, maybe just that it creates a comeback factor.

Idk if auto meter regen is the answer but I hope they keep innovating with it