What's new

What is your ranked W/L record? Is it a good reflection of your skills?

Elias6999

Mournful Master
I made this thread because I am starting to get really angry when I lose, as my W/L ratio isn’t improving as much I wish it were. Its 75/64 right now, and I’m losing as much as I am winning now, so there’s always a difference between 9-12 in my ratio, but I really do feel like I’m a good player despite my ratio.

Also, what would you consider to be a good ratio? A bad one? Do you take it seriously, or is it just for bragging rights?

To be clear, I’m not aiming to play the game very competitively, probably just gonna be a ranked warrior, although I’m pretty invested in the game and have been making significant strides forward, my ratio doesn’t really reflect that.

Thoughts?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I made this thread because I am starting to get really angry when I lose, as my W/L ratio isn’t improving as much I wish it were. Its 75/64 right now, and I’m losing as much as I am winning now, so there’s always a difference between 9-12 in my ratio, but I really do feel like I’m a good player despite my ratio.

Also, what would you consider to be a good ratio? A bad one? Do you take it seriously, or is it just for bragging rights?

To be clear, I’m not aiming to play the game very competitively, probably just gonna be a ranked warrior, although I’m pretty invested in the game and have been making significant strides forward, my ratio doesn’t really reflect that.

Thoughts?
You are confusing a random-match matchmaking system with a true ranked Elo skill-based matching system. In an Elo system, you are ranked not strictly by wins and losses, but by who you beat and lost to.

The MK11 system makes an effort to match you with people around your skill level each match, which means that you shouldn’t be winning a ton more than you’re losing unless you’re on top of the pile and ranking up. It’s not the way things used to be in older games where you could clean up on 99% scrubs and go 1000/1.

You could have the same W/L ratio in two different areas of the skill curve and it could mean two completely different things. So there is no such thing as “a good ratio” in this system; your rank alone is the measure of your calculated skill.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
You are confusing a random-match matchmaking system with a true ranked Elo skill-based matching system. In an Elo system, you are ranked not strictly by wins and losses, but by who you beat and lost to.

The MK11 system makes an effort to match you with people around your skill level each match, which means that you shouldn’t be winning a ton more than you’re losing unless you’re on top of the pile and ranking up. It’s not the way things used to be in older games where you could clean up on 99% scrubs and go 1000/1.

You could have the same W/L ratio in two different areas of the skill curve and it could mean two completely different things. So there is no such thing as “a good ratio” in this system; your rank alone is the measure of your calculated skill.
Yeah I get what you mean, thanks for explaining this. Makes more sense to me now, and I won’t get as salty as I usually do lol

I think I evened out but it's only cuz I'm not playing online much right now.

My X record is more losses than wins, But there are reasons for that.
I'm the type that's never satisfied with dominating a worse player (sometimes picking tertiary characters even) and when I get stomped by someone better, I want more matches and I don't wanna stop until I learn something about the matchup or the character.

But the record is never serious for me, as long as I get matches I'm good.
Yeah you get angry but most losses in my opinion are good learning experiences.....

...And then you get a laggy ass MK11 Sub-zero doing the mix on you and you're like "what the fuck, is this real?"

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
No.

If a lot of wins is reflective of how good you are, then you are assuming all the best players play ranked, but they don’t.

You only beat the best that enter ranked.

But at an offline event, the best enter.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I do not consider online ranked or kasual W/L a reflection of a players skills.

Most players online either don't understand the basic fundamentals because online is a different game all together.
My biggest problem with online players is they only play till they lose and move on. This Foster's bad habits and poor play when MK11 is a game of adapting quickly and learning from mistakes. The main focus should be FT20 sets to adjust and adapt to your opponent and weed out your bad habits in that particular matchup.
This doesn't happen online and players get away with things they wouldn't locally.

Lag factor:
Things like reactions and reads and fundamentals like the poke war are much harder to do in even 80ms connections let alone 200ms. The close up game is basically non existent online in most connections and with most players being Wi-Fi it's bound to have lag.

1000ms/60fps= 16ms = 1 frame of input lag.

100ms connection wired assuming it's constant has 6.25 frames of lag! This is absurd and eliminates high level play in the poke war, reversals, flawless block, reactions ect.
200ms connection has 12.5 frames of lag.

Imagine trying to do a D1 jailed into a high starter that has a 1 frame link to do so on many characters with lag that is fluctuating between 4f and 12f input lag. That is impossible. Apply this to anti airs, reversals, cancels, flawless block(3f window), dash cancel combos (2-5f link) and you start to understand why I don't like online.

But there are definitely good players online but the record isn't reflecting that. They should add a FT10 and FT20 option and a way to weed out WiFi players from ranked

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
On switch it’s 5-0
On XB1 it’s like 35-7 or something like that.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I haven't played ranked yet. Only kasual matches with kompetitive mode turned on. I'm at the age where I do not care about my online record anymore, I use to, a lot. Now, I just wanna learn how the game works and learn new characters.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Im 20/0 in Ranked but 477/476 in Kasual. The ranked system is garbage so that 20/0 means nothing.

The only reason I have a "Bad Ratio" in Kasual is because I only play people who have higher win odds in lol So Im gettin beat by top 100s and pros in long sets and I main Shao Kahn .

You can never get angry if you go into a match with the right mindset. Whenever I fight in a match i dont play to win I play to learn, we are not pros wer bound to lose a match . Playing the game gets alot more fun when you think this way, if I lose I record that match and figure out where I went wrong and try my best to improve.

Usually when people go into a match expecting to win against a "weaker" player they tend to get mad when that player beats them. But you gotta take everyone seriously, no matter what the W/L is.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
72/64 now I think, and it does reflect how I improved since MKX and IJ2, but again, it's just a record and doesn't hold much meaning, to me anyways. You learn something for every loss, and every win shows that you applied what you learned.

in ranked im like 204/184 but thats cuz im stubborn and when im learning a game i just have to jump online even if im not ready. I have the bad habit of wanting to learn through playing ranked as opposed to in practice mode. I started casual and im like 54/4 there. I know eventually if i kept playing itd eventually balance out as well but i dont think my win loss would be as close as in ranked.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Just gonna repeat that your win ratio in this game is useless, since a lot of people seemed to have missed that matchmaking in this game is not like it was in previous titles.

The only thing that means anything in Ranked is your rank.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I’m 0/0 in ranked, because I love custom variations too much. I feel like that’s the way the game was built to be played. So I’m strictly “kasual” online, and always will be, until they allow customs in ranked. But my ratio in casual is roughly even I think. Haven’t played online much yet but I think I’m around 80/80 or so. I racked up quite a few losses in the first TYM KOTH, attempting to use tournament variations that I never used before, haha. But I don’t care much either way. I just play to have fun.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I agree with Crimson and Vslayer.
  • The matchmaking system is whack.
  • having zero losses means you learned nothing or didn't play better opponents.
  • online is laggy ranging from 60ms to 200ms on averag so 4-12 frames of lag that fluctuates. Why I prefer offline locals.
  • most players don't stay when they get beat so they don't adapt and adjust thier game to improve and win. So you are not forced to adapt and play better or overcome strategy's. This is why I prefer sets.
Everyone should have Vslayers mindset. Play to improve not to always win. Don't play bad players who don't learn from thier mistakes, play better players who you can barley open up who challenge you to mix it up and develop new tech just to get a win. Play players who adjust thier gameplay based on what you do in FT3 who come back and body you.
I like to play skilled players who are not predictable and highlight my flaws and bad habits or areas for me to improve on so I can grow stronger as a player.

I think my ranked record is around 300/250 but it's very inaccurate for a few reasons:
  • matchmaking has a weird climb ratio putting you to high up vs certain characters while only dropping you after twice the losses.
  • most competitive players loss to learn so they can improve.
  • I have two other people playing on my account, a 10yo and a 37yo besides me so it's not just my record.
  • most the players I encountered on Kasual only played till they lost and most are selective of who they play. So when I change up my gameplay based on thier bad habits they just leave once I adjust for it and beat thier one game plan.
When I play high level sets we go back and forth finding ways to beat each other with tiny adjustments so it's not noticable and we grow stronger for it. This doesn't happen online kasual.

I'm also a Kotal Kahn main and I honestly think he has mostly bad matchups because of his lack of options close and far and hitbox issues.
All I know is when I use Cassie, Erron, Sub Zero, Jacqui, Sonya, Basically anyone else it's monumentally easier to get those wins than with Kotal.

Gaxkang

Banned
Lag factor:
Things like reactions and reads and fundamentals like the poke war are much harder to do in even 80ms connections let alone 200ms. The close up game is basically non existent online in most connections and with most players being Wi-Fi it's bound to have lag.

1000ms/60fps= 16ms = 1 frame of input lag.

100ms connection wired assuming it's constant has 6.25 frames of lag! This is absurd and eliminates high level play in the poke war, reversals, flawless block, reactions ect.
200ms connection has 12.5 frames of lag.

Imagine trying to do a D1 jailed into a high starter that has a 1 frame link to do so on many characters with lag that is fluctuating between 4f and 12f input lag. That is impossible. Apply this to anti airs, reversals, cancels, flawless block(3f window), dash cancel combos (2-5f link) and you start to understand why I don't like online.

But there are definitely good players online but the record isn't reflecting that. They should add a FT10 and FT20 option and a way to weed out WiFi players from ranked
The lag factor is why I'd say the online is more novelty like.

Average MS online one run into will be 200. It could rise to 300...I've seen it rise to 500 in one fight. But even at 150, 100, or below...I feel like there are probs yeah.

Suntory

Suntory
I'm 13/27 in ranked sets, and in kasual it's 7/36. I only play ppl in kasual with wired connections and that I know from here. That said, yea I'm losing a lot, but I am learning from ppl who know what they're doing. I play to learn, no so much to win.

Last edited:
in MKX ranked it was like 1200/250, 80% wins
but most of the games were against complete newbies so that doesnt mean anything to me

MK11, i mostly play Kasual Kompetitive, my record is like 200/100 and I much prefer longer sets
I played 9 ranked sets and won all of them, dunno how the matchmaking works there but i haven't lost a set yet

All in all, this means absolutely nothing. I'm still gonna get MOPPED at any serious tournament lol

Jhob5

Noob
Hm It seems like mk11 has better matchmaking than mkx or I might just be imagining things, because in mkx sometimes in ranked youd get a guy literally mashing attacks full screen but everyone ive fought in ranked after the first 20 games or so isn't like that. I would play casual matches and find someone I have a good game with and play 10-30 games with them but I wanna use tournament variations

ranked in fighting games will always be shit, unless the devs start to copy every aspect of starcraft 2 ranked system.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
1-0. I played a lot of casual competitive matches and realized they're not worth my time. 99% of the time it's someone far worse than you, and you learn sloppy playstyle.

I mostly play against my friend who takes the game seriously and is as good or better than me with some characters.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
17-5 as of tonight. Longest ranked session I've done so far (11 games straight), and my hands hate me for it. I typically stick to KOTH games as being dethroned gives me some time for my hands to relax and prevent seizing up. Kasual Match is 42-17, but a lot of those were people who honestly didn't know what they were doing.

I don't think win ratios are indicative of skill. At all. What makes a person a better player is dedication (lots of time spent in the lab), learning from mistakes (reviewing your losses in replays), and the mental fortitude to not get shaken (don't get pissed, don't get frustrated, don't wig out when things aren't going your way). Everyone reaches a point where they feel they're not improving. Like they've plateaued. That's when things get hard and it's important to keep your focus and grind, grind, grind those matches.

I've long accepted I'll never be the best player, or even as good as I was when I was younger, but my love for fighting games is what drives me to continual improvement. Being the best isn't the goal. Being the best that I can be, is.