What's new

What is your "I want it but it'll never happen" Mortal Kombat game?

For me it's Mortal Kombat Online

Basically the Konquest mode from MK Deception made much bigger and better, and turned into an mmo of sorts.

The original already had multiple worlds to explore, side quests, an overarching storyline, actual fights (for tutorial, challenges, etc), and pretty much every character from the MK universe up to that point.

I guess the problem is figuring out the multiplayer part but assuming it'd play like traditional 2d MK games rather than the PS2 era 3D ones NRS (or whoever is in charge of the project) could reintroduce Tag Kombat with potentially expanding it to a 3v3. Some of the towers already let you call assists from other players and MK9 did have a 2v2 mode, so in a sense that serves as a base for "raid bosses"

Dragon Ball FighterZ also had a similar approach to special boss battles where it's just you, two other people, and a super strong opponent.

Alternatively I would love to at least see Konquest HD as a single player story driven title set in the MK universe

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
An RPG style MK game would be great for me. I haven't played a JRPG in a while, but an MK themed RPG with multiple endings, a huge roster of characters and parties to create, maybe even a jobs/factions system that influences your path through the story and ultimately your ending. Amazing.

I'm lore before gore guy, so a cool story with lots of team attacks and traversal to through the realm to fight the ultimate boss would be fun a hell to me.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'll give two.

1. Mortal Kombat Alpha. Have a game that takes place during the tournament that the Great Kung Lao wins, and build the roster purely out of characters of that era. You include just a few classic characters, but it'd be an opportunity to have a roster of almost all new characters. I know people love their legacy characters, so a potential MK game without Sub or Scorp or John or Sonya might seem crazy, but I'd just really relish the chance to get a whole new cast of characters, just to see what NRS could do with a blank slate instead of being beholden to old ideas.

2. Mortal Kombat versus Killer Instinct. I think this could be a lot of fun, have it be a tag based MK/KI fighter. Thematically both games would seem to jive together well. Only issue would be how to reconcile some of the game mechanics, with MK having a block button and KI being b2b, as well as figuring out how to incorporate the Combo Breaker mechanic.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
(surprised to see no MKSM2 suggestions)
MKSM2, by this I mean that fire and ice game with scorp and sub. I'd love that shit if done right.

MK9 with GGPO and official modding support.

MK Mythologies remake - I think there was genuine potential in this game, sadly completely unrealized.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Re-release as close to an arcade perfect port as possible for UMK3 and release it on all platforms with rollback netcode. Then have all the standard online modes like ranked, private, public 1v1’s and KoTH’s.
I actually would rather see this with MKT. But, the N64 version which was superior as far as classic competitive 2D MK is concerned. And I really don’t think they’d re-release the N64 version, and instead would release the PlayStation version. Which, I’d still be fine with that. But for me, it goes:
N64 MKT > UMK3 > PSX MKT

¯\(ツ)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, it's baffling that MK Trilogy is available nowhere (legally at least)
Right, it’s one of the only (if not THE only) 2D MK games that has never received any type of actual console/PC release that was legitimate of course & that had online play. It’s the only classic 2D MK game that I haven’t played online against other people. Yeah there’s a crappy emu & port/rom, but they’re all trash imo

REO

Undead
Here's my wish list for the next MK game:

"Complete characters"
Community expectation: A character with 20 special moves or more, and 100 strings or more.
Reality of what we're going to get: A character with six special moves and ten strings.

"Balance"
Community expectation: Cast is full of 5-5 match ups and every character is viable.
Reality of what we're going to get: There will be top tiers dominating and being played constantly, and there will be low tier characters.

"Tons of depth and fun gameplay"
Community expectation: Tekken just-frames, Street Fighter zoning and neutral, Skullgirls movement, KI combo / breaker system, and Smash Melee wake up system.
Reality of what we're going to get: Five combo launching strings per character so we can do big combos masking it as "depth", and a run button.

Also looking forward to all of the monthly game leaks and data mining so we will never be surprised by a new character, upcoming DLC, developers' plans, or announcement for the entirety of MK12.

BlissfulMedusa

Modern Woefare

"Complete characters"
Community expectation: A character with 20 special moves or more, and 100 strings or more.
Reality of what we're going to get: A character with six special moves and ten strings.

"Balance"
Community expectation: Cast is full of 5-5 match ups and every character is viable.
Reality of what we're going to get: There will be top tiers dominating and being played constantly, and there will be low tier characters.

Community expectation: Tekken just-frames, Street Fighter zoning and neutral, Skullgirls movement, KI combo / breaker system, and Smash Melee wake up system.
Reality of what we're going to get: Five combo launching strings per character so we can do big combos masking it as "depth", and a run button.

Also looking forward to all of the monthly game leaks and data mining so we will never be surprised by a new character, upcoming DLC, developers' plans, or announcement for the entirety of MK12.
What a hilarious attempt at completely exaggerating community expectations. Though, having listened to you on podcasts, it seems par for the course.

MK9 and the Injustice games had complete characters. 20+ moves must be what you’re confusing MKX and MK11 for.

No one is expecting 5-5 matchups across the board. That’s absurd and unrealistic. However, luck should not grant players a 50%+ combo because they ducked at the right time with this character, meanwhile, another character can’t even combo without it being broken before the damage even begins.

You were a figurehead of this community, at least try to act as such without resorting to such formulaic and obvious attempts at satire.

REO

Undead
What a hilarious attempt at completely exaggerating community expectations. Though, having listened to you on podcasts, it seems par for the course.

MK9 and the Injustice games had complete characters. 20+ moves must be what you’re confusing MKX and MK11 for.

No one is expecting 5-5 matchups across the board. That’s absurd and unrealistic. However, luck should not grant players a 50%+ combo because they ducked at the right time with this character, meanwhile, another character can’t even combo without it being broken before the damage even begins.

You were a figurehead of this community, at least try to act as such without resorting to such formulaic and obvious attempts at satire.
Lol @ thinking any of the characters in MK9 or Injustice 1 that weren't top ten were "complete" characters. They had severe issues that go beyond your nostalgic memory loss.

But yes, do go on and tell me how "CoMpLeTe" Mileena and the 15 or so characters below her were in MK9 playing those unwinnable 2-8's match ups that anyone off the street could beat you in.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★

"Complete characters"

"Balance"

So you want Mortal Kombat to turn into a 2D Virtua Fighter? Honestly, as someone who has competed in Virtua Fighter, I get it & could get behind that. It could potentially kill the casual scene, force certain veteran MK players to either get good or drown due to the depth & complexity that they haven’t experienced before also it would piss nearly everyone off except for players who have an understanding of fighting games made outside of NRS & Capcom especially Sega & SNK.

I want every single male ninja and cyborg, plus NoobSmoke. Motaro, Cyber Motaro, and Blaze.

the four earthrealm kids from MKX should all die in the opening scene of mk12 and never seen again.
Sindel should have a nude skin

back to tech throws, run button, hyperrealistic aesthetic that legitimately disturbs people. It is healthier for children to see the full consequences of violence than censor gore and keep a light vibe. Show the children what violence does, and it wont be so appealing

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Shaolin Monks 2. Shaolin Monks was an absolute GEM and I know Boon has made comments about it before. Imagining a modern 3D beat-em-up MK game with a bunch of character options makes me giddy.

Re-release as close to an arcade perfect port as possible for UMK3 and release it on all platforms with rollback netcode. Then have all the standard online modes like ranked, private, public 1v1’s and KoTH’s.
While I would love to play UMK3 online again, I'm unsure how long most people would care about it. Might be my lack of knowledge, but it really looks like the meta gets rather samey quickly with run/punch/mid kick pressure and glitch jabs. At least that's what I remember from playing it during the Xbox Live Arcade days forever ago.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Shaolin Monks 2. Shaolin Monks was an absolute GEM and I know Boon has made comments about it before. Imagining a modern 3D beat-em-up MK game with a bunch of character options makes me giddy.

While I would love to play UMK3 online again, I'm unsure how long most people would care about it. Might be my lack of knowledge, but it really looks like the meta gets rather samey quickly with run/punch/mid kick pressure and glitch jabs. At least that's what I remember from playing it during the Xbox Live Arcade days forever ago.
I’m sure people felt similarly before it was released back in 2006 on XBLA. But the game exploded and the interest was at an all time high. And there’s people who got into it off of that who still play it today.

The game is super old so of course the meta is going to look figured out, because it essentially is for the most part. But it has a lot of depth at all levels, even at the highest levels.

Regardless of any of that, that’s not a good enough reason to not re-release it on all platforms with rollback netcode.

MRIGOTBASS

with rollback netcode.
UMK3 Console Version without Rollbizzi

The Rollback may work for these new games but the UMK3 or at least the FC rollback one ruins the game, Nothing like beating someone and "Finish Him" appears and then boom, rewound back into the game, or the moonwalking glitchjabs lol, its ugly. The XBLA 06 aka that 06 was a Masterpiece people moaned but it was a complete masterpiece now its gone forever.

This would lowkey be an improvement over mk11....

For real tho your posts are so insanely sarcastic and cynical I no longer understand your point. Its just you shitting on the games and shitting on anyone who complains about the games....? Which is also you lol.