What's new

Question - Smoke What is the Best Playstyle for Smoke?

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
this, plus heavy pressure, he has great ways to apply buttons and keep his turn, mix in a 50/50 when you know it goes thru
What are smokes good ways to keep his turn? I tend to feel like enough of my plus moves get punished or I respect my opponent too much and don't go for them because I'm worried they'll blow me up.

I like smoke and would like to break away from the vortex, except in the corner/vortex + corner = great.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
When do you guys generally phase to punish people. Off of plus frames? Gaps? Before your opponent presses buttons?

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
yeah bunch
What are smokes good ways to keep his turn? I tend to feel like enough of my plus moves get punished or I respect my opponent too much and don't go for them because I'm worried they'll blow me up.

I like smoke and would like to break away from the vortex, except in the corner/vortex + corner = great.
114~regular phase (forward or back) = +4

F43 = +2

21 = +2

mix these in with F131, 1112 string staggers

cancel random strings into phase front and back, if you cancel into back phase and your opponent presses buttons to punish a front phase, you get to punish with b21

cancel into ex smoke bomb to be plus as well

thats just the surface of it, there is a lot of fuckery, but a lot of gaps as well!

just stay mobile and try to keep your opponent wondering when to press buttons, what range buttons to press, and in which direction to press them

the hard part is practicing hitconfirming them when they open someone up, otherwise you aren't capitilising on your hard work

Noob
My playstyle with smoke is the following

Staggering F1, F12
B3 in the neutral, works great if your opponent respects your staggers. Always catches them off guard.

B21 in neutral godlike

Enforcing the fear of guaranteed 111 after F21~fade. Once respect is established, F21~fade on hit into 50/50 city boys. If you think they will armour, cross over jump or 111 into spear/bomb punish.

Some rounds I just cash out for max damage

In the corner I do 50/50 with F21~fade stuff along with gimmicks.

I try to play as unpredictable as possible with Smoke. Always changing my playstyle to not let my opponent adapt.

Noob
B21 phase out
Back phase to whiff punish people who try to run into you.
Regular phase has invincibility like right at the start, so you can use it to dodge projectiles.
Back phase out into B21 punish on an opponent's NJP

Honestly the way I play him and the way you should play smoke in general is by playing footsies in the neutral since he has some of the the best footsie tools, especially b21. In the corner is when you should start mixing or go for pressure. I like playing smoke defensively though.

smoke imo is now a footsie based character with his b2 being his main tool, he can use some plus frames like 114 phase to bait pokes and punish with f4d12.. his s4 is a great anti air and his s1 or s2 are really good anti cross ups and he can do 31% from meterless from each of the anti airs i mentioned.. at this point if u catch the opponent with f13 smoke bomb or 111 smoke bomb as such and u end it in trident, i would suggest u doing f21 phase into 114 phase into f4d1, this is my main tool and its a good way to bait pokes after 114 phase but 114 phase is atleast +5 and ur f4 should beat the opponents poke, use staggers alot such as f1, f4d1, f2 and do f2 or f4 right after to catch the opponent trying to poke after ur stagger, a great whiff punishing tool is his b21 trident, i do not suggest u throwing this move out alot because alot of characters can low profile the second hit by simply ducking and blocking which doesnt make sense since its a mid XD. so just throwing b2 into smoke bomb or ex smoke bomb would be more reliable, his f3 is a good way to go under many projectiles and on hit it is plus and u can make it safe by doing f3 and delaying the f34... in general he is better off used as a footsie character whiff punishing things and baiting pokes than doing mixups since his overhead is completely reactable now... grabs are also very useful especially in the corner since it is +10 on hit.