What's new

What is the best defensive style characters?

I use to play Street Fighter, and I loved using Guile. Which characters in this game are really defensive and passive?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You can try out Blood Drive variation for Skarlet. You can use AMP Blood ball as a slow trailing ball for more zoning or for a projectile as you approach. Similar to a slow Sonic Boom. She can do medium and fast speeds also. She has long range pokes, sweeps, and normals. Has to be played well to maximize her tools.

As far as defensive characters you'd have to be more specific about what type of defense. There are a good amount to pick from.

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
I use to play Street Fighter, and I loved using Guile. Which characters in this game are really defensive and passive?
Jade and Noob Saibot
Noob Saibot has decent zoning and long range normals. If opponents over extend he gets a 40-50% combo punish, if opponents try to zone him out he gets an approximate 30% combo punish off of a teleport.
Jade has very good zoning and the ability to be immune to most zoning moves. She also has great whiff punish tools (fast+long normals) and decent combo damage if you get a good hit.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Jade and Noob Saibot
Noob Saibot has decent zoning and long range normals. If opponents over extend he gets a 40-50% combo punish, if opponents try to zone him out he gets an approximate 30% combo punish off of a teleport.
Jade has very good zoning and the ability to be immune to most zoning moves. She also has great whiff punish tools (fast+long normals) and decent combo damage if you get a good hit.
I wouldn't recommend noob.

Noob has to chase in quite a few matchups, and the way he's designed, if he has to chase anyone, it's hell for him with his mobility and situational mid.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I will look into these choices. Thank you. I don't like aggressive characters. No rushing enemy down or things like that.
Ah yes, I am the same. I would highly recommend Skarlet, Cetrion, and Shang Tsung in that order being that you previously played Guile and you're looking for a highly defense oriented character.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Dude I would try Shang Tsung. His Warlock tool kit is all about keeping your opponent out and making them work their way in like Guile, and every time they screw up they are going to get sent back across the screen and they have to start all over lol

Plus his combos are not difficult at all, he gets respectable damage off of them and he has some mix ups too. I haven't touched Cetrion so I can't speak on her but based on my experience playing as Shang and fighting against him I think he is perfect for you if you like hanging back and making the opponent come to you.

Gaxkang

Banned
Dude I would try Shang Tsung. His Warlock tool kit is all about keeping your opponent out and making them work their way in like Guile, and every time they screw up they are going to get sent back across the screen and they have to start all over lol

Plus his combos are not difficult at all, he gets respectable damage off of them and he has some mix ups too. I haven't touched Cetrion so I can't speak on her but based on my experience playing as Shang and fighting against him I think he is perfect for you if you like hanging back and making the opponent come to you.
Shang's soul switch ability is also handy for switching positions with the opponent on the screen.

Defensive character so far in this thread has been defined by zoning or keepaway, another angle is who can do the best on block (outside of obvious things like punishing a teleport). But I'm not sure if there's a character that really excels over others there....like say, punishing strings where other characters couldn't.

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Raiden can play defensive, those who can't don't know how to play him but ask anyone who's played me. Though I would say of the two, his Raijin is more defensive than Thunder Wave but Thunderwave can be played defensive and counter offensive. I've also seen quite a few Shang players play defensive. But besides him, would say Jade, Sub-Zero, Erron Black, Scorpion(let's face it this guy can play ANY style he wants in this game lol)

In a way zoning and keep away is a defensive strategy because your mission is to keep people FAR from you and keep them far while also chipping away at them. I would also say characters that are very parry heavy can be defensive obviously depending how you play them.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I have to say Shang Tsung who is a zoner in every way. His moves are built around keep out and space control and is a momentum character.
Other good choices are:
Scarlet and Cetrion which have Teleports to stay away and escape corner pressure. Cetrion is the better if the Two but Scarlet is very good. Shang is easily top 15.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
2 chars that can really slow down the game imo

• Shang Tsung
  • Noob (although against hard zoners like cetrion he struggles and has to rush in)

People like jade and cetrion I wouldn't say are defensive as they actively have to run away(guile doesn't run). Defense to me = sitting put and waiting for a hot minute because you are allowed to.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Skarlet emphasizes space control through very safe buttons, long normals, lots of projectiles with one of them giving pushback on block when canceled into. She plays very fundamentally and his throw KBs to support the playstyle

Cetrion is the premier zoner, top tier zoning and keepaway, best anti airs, fullscreen frame traps. Defensive powerhouse

Jade is sort of a discount Cetrion. She lacks damage but is a lot more annoying in other aspects due to her mobility and versatile playstyle. She capitalizes on opponents mistakes, and due to how she's safer than Cetrion, they WILL fuck up.

Sub Zero (Thin Ice) is also a very defensive character albeit with some good offense as well. You have one of the best advancing specials in slide, iceball wins all trades and air axes make the approach annoying. He also has some excellent whiff punishing indag b1.

Kabal also gets a shoutout. He fits the defensive archetype, but does incredibly well on offense and zoning as well. He's a Jack of all trades except a master of all.

Cassie is the footsie queen. THE best buttons, has a mid projectile in First variation which also low profiles. She turtles excellently and has insane anti airs preventing any jumpin rather easily.

Erron is fucking lame dont play this broken piece of shit