What's new

What is something or things you wish will NOT be in MK12?

I hope they don't keep hop attacks. I feel like hops were meant to be the universal overhead equivalent of pokes but they just don't work out that way. Having an actual overhead button was always better.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Forcing weapons on every character.
Less millitary focus, more martial arts focus.
This is important, MK feels like MK when its focus is martial arts and over the top, silly gore. Even Cassie in MKX felt more like a martial arts character than pretty much any character in MK11. Really hope they go back to what makes people love this franchise. There's a lot of martial arts in the military as well, they just need to focus on that instead of giving guns to everyone.

Imo, out of all of them, Sonya should have the most brutal hand to hand fighting style. One can only dream.

This is important, MK feels like MK when its focus is martial arts and over the top, silly gore. Even Cassie in MKX felt more like a martial arts character than pretty much any character in MK11. Really hope they go back to what makes people love this franchise. There's a lot of martial arts in the military as well, they just need to focus on that instead of giving guns to everyone.

Imo, out of all of them, Sonya should have the most brutal hand to hand fighting style. One can only dream.
Kombat Kids could be 1000 times better and funnier if they all took the martial arts route.

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
If you play a game a lot, you should not miss stuff, I hate that.
I still miss one taunt (nice detail, I like) for Shao Kahn in MK11 - not a single idea how to get it.
(I think I have all brutals for every fighter in the game unlocked, just so you know, I played the game a bit. I love brutals. :laughing:)
---
Locked Brutalities - just let me pay $20 or whatever to have access to them all, don't lock them behind towers, ranked play, timed events, etc.
Yes, I also want to add here tournaments. I like watching tournaments and as you guessed it, I love brutals. So me as a spectator, I already know, I won't see brutals because in no chance this "console" has all the unlocks (many brutals in KL too) ...

... but with WB in the back and me following the industries, I have bad dreams about MK12 getting crazy microtransaction greed tactics ... while in MK11 it was random and stupid. MK12 is not random, unlock a specific brutal? 5$. Unlock all, not in the game but buy all separated, so you spend over 1000$ ...

... greed greed greed, all I see these days ...
(Gotham Knights 30fps? "As long as it looks good on pictures, no one will notice hihihi ..." That was a easy skip. Doesn't even look "special" #LAZY ...
Now look how they delay that stupid greedy suicide game - microshit killing this great amazing Arkham Games legacy ... thank you gaming community to fight this! Fuck you whale hunter industries!
Wrath will follow your afterlife! - Shao Kahn)

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Run button. There are other things I don’t like but running is MK12 is the only automatic deal breaker.

Also my buddy won’t buy it without Reptile or Ermac.
So after playing some MK11 (Frost <3) I gotta say I absolutely hate the flawless block system and I will be very hesitant to buy 12 if it comes back.

I’ve always disliked these “Perfect Block” style mechanics in FGs because in order to make these mechanics worth using devs always put in attacks that are difficult to counter unless you instant block/parry/flawless etc. But what really grinds my gears is that when you play these games online (like the overwhelming majority of us) in anything less that a perfect connection hitting these small windows becomes unreliable, but the moves that you need to flawless just continue to be dumb.

Inb4 “online play doesn’t matter it’s all about locals/tournaments”

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
if you watch pretty much any competitive event stream ... you see flawless block all the time in online play. Just saying... .

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
"Waiting on SF6"

MK11: Flawless block 3 frames
SF6: Perfect parry 2 frames

Did you know that?
Very hard core-mechanic
If you know me you know I absolutely hate parries. I think SF3 is by far the worst game in the franchise, and I hate the implementation of parries in SF6 too. If I feel it becomes an overbearing mechanic I will 100% stop playing it. I’m too busy these days to play games I don’t enjoy.

That being said I like SF a lot more than Mortal Kombat, so the bar for me to not play the latter is much lower than the former.

if you watch pretty much any competitive event stream ... you see flawless block all the time in online play. Just saying... .
Which doesn’t change what I said at all, since I specifically mentioned sup-bar connections, but pat yourself on the back for being a smartass.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
  1. Break-away: It's stupid and no one liked it. The old combo breakers were fine.
  2. Variation system. : the variation system has had 2 games and with mixed results each time. Give characters full move sets again and balance the game around what characters can definitely do and have 100% instead of what they might be able to do.
  3. Last but not least the switch stance button. It does nothing. It's just there doing nothing. Why is it still here?
  4. Flawless blocking frame traps:. It just doesn't make sense that the reward for me being positive is you being able to stop my pressure. Flawless block is fine but there should be like a 3f a window where it is not possible. That way offensive or vortex pressure is still rewarded for the set-up and can't just be stopped by an instant block.
  5. A reduction in invulnerable frames on wake-up roll: I can't really say taking out the wake-up system mechanics in mk11 bc they aren't bad but the amount of invulnerability during roll is silly imo. Also idk it's just me but delayed wake-up should be vulnerable to overheads that way the defense also has an rps to deal with.
I would like to see actual anti-air moves that can have like guard points that can take some of the power out of jumping but still represent skill through timing the moves active frames.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I guess I'll go against the grain here and say that I think there's a lot to like about breakaways, especially vs traditional combo breakers.

Although I think it's wrong that characters can be punished by a defender breaking at the right time in a combo, I do like the idea of encouraging strategic breaking. On top of that, I like the added strategy of anti-breakaway moves creating a meta where there are ideal spots to break out of a combo, but if your break is read, you get extra punished for it. It's all very reminiscent of KI.

I think the biggest issue with the breakaway system (and all systems in MK11 really)) is that it's simply improperly balanced/implemented. There should be ideal spots to break, but no character should be punished for landing a combo. All characters should have access to a useful anti-breaker move instead of only some. I do believe that, had they been implemented properly, breakaways would be hands-down superior to classic breakers which really ruin the flow of combat. Like most every other aspect of MK11, breakaways are an interesting idea, that feels rushed and unfinished.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Using my two bars of meter that I want for offense just to break a combo with no basically no counterplay or strategy past meter management is lame. Might as well just make combos do less damage. It was fine in MK9/X but not ideal or interesting

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Using my two bars of meter that I want for offense just to break a combo with no basically no counterplay or strategy past meter management is lame. Might as well just make combos do less damage. It was fine in MK9/X but not ideal or interesting
didn't the two bar system in MK12 deal with that very issue?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
didn't the two bar system in MK12 deal with that very issue?
True that, they could have implemented it in MK11 but I figured they thought it would be too strong so they made breakaway instead where the defender is still in a bad spot. But no reason that couldn't work with the right adjustments to meter or whatever.

But people tout MK9/X breaker as a really good system and I wanted to contend that a bit.

Another system I think is worth considering is the 3D era's( or perhaps just Deception?) three breakers per match. Just a straight number of breakers you get where you could us it any time.

Also they could just not have a breaker. Just some thoughts

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
True that, they could have implemented it in MK11 but I figured they thought it would be too strong so they made breakaway instead where the defender is still in a bad spot. But no reason that couldn't work with the right adjustments to meter or whatever.

But people tout MK9/X breaker as a really good system and I wanted to contend that a bit.

Another system I think is worth considering is the 3D era's( or perhaps just Deception?) three breakers per match. Just a straight number of breakers you get where you could us it any time.

Also they could just not have a breaker. Just some thoughts
I absolutely do NOT understand how people liked the MK9/X meter system. I get that its simplicity is nice; but it inherently has no room for growth, nuance, or good balancing. I know I'm setting myself up to be miffed whenever MK12 inevitably goes back to that system.

Also, just gunna shamelessly self promote with a link over here real quick.

Seems like an easy out. Basically 1 breaker per round, or 2 in round, 1 in the other. It's effectively just another form of meter management.

Having it tied to meter i think is a more elegant solution, and the 2 bar setup in 11 added another level to keep on top of, which i quite liked. You may have burned all your offensive, but you've still got defensive options due to your other meter. Compared to being completely empty and you have no options apart from trying to gain it again.

The single meter of previous games was probably simpler, but with a little less nuance to that of MK11 - solely due to the number of options you had in 11 with what you could do. Seems that having the meters auto-fill was one of the biggest concerns, if they can tweak that (autofill first block, gain on the 2nd?) so you can't just wait constantly to have it fill up.

WRT to the main topic:
Focus on the SF/pew pew characters.
Grind in game modes i don't care about (eg. towers)