What's new

Question - Kung Lao What Is His Best Variation Now?

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
After the latest patch Kung Lao has some changes, Buzz Saw is much better now with his Grinder can be converted into combo, he's no longer need to MB Hat in order to convert into combo and his Mix Up is so good, Tempest has no changes but his Pressure with Orbitting Hat is still good along with the biggest damage of all variation. I know it still depends on the match up but in general which vartiation is slightly better?

Last edited:
Reactions: GAV

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
In my opinion Buzzsaw is the best variation. He covers the screen the best, he gets the mixing, he now gets meterless damage as you said, he can zone, he's just as safe as Tempest except he has less gaps, and I like the fact that you don't have to end his combos in 21. The way I play Buzzsaw is ending everything in F14. It's a hard knockdown, it gets more damage, and you get easy to time god like Oki off of it. Everyone getting 2 hits of armor hurt Tempest Oki. Also I like D4 into Low Hat with Buzzsaw. It's a good counterpoke and some characters actually have to hold that. The only thing Tempest has over Buzzsaw to me is meterless damage

Reactions: GAV

TheGangstaFace

Also Buzzsaw's hat comes back faster most of the time. I get a lot less moments where I couldn't get a full combo cuz my hat didn't come back in time

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
Do u think his B122+4 is a good ender? in my opinion it's not a hard knockdown so the opponent can wake up right after being hit and Lao has no advantages

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
IMO buzz saw and tempest are equal good variations. Tempest is good for characters with godlike anti zoning or bad armor. His corner game and staggers are very good and he has damage. Also easy plus frames and meterbuild. Buzz saw has the better mid screen control and he has the mix. They're both good in their own separate ways

TheGangstaFace

Do u think his B122+4 is a good ender? in my opinion it's not a hard knockdown so the opponent can wake up right after being hit and Lao has no advantages
I end my combos accordingly with Buzzsaw.

21 - only in the corner if I want enough hit advantage to backdash and keep my space with B2.

B122+4 - only midscreen if I wanna send the opponent full screen to zone.

F14 - highest damage combo ender and amazing oki setup (the ender I use the most)

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Tempest is good for:
Jacqui (horrible wakeups)
Hunter and HQT Predator (hold that pressure)
Spec Ops Cassie Cage: you can wake up spin punish some of her setups, and Tempest allows you to switch side easily. Also no double armor
Mileena, still a bad matchup but at least Tempest can do better after knocking her down
Kitana, still a bad matchup but F2 hat spin can do better vs Kitana than anything Buzzsaw has, it allows a full combo no matter if F2 hits her in the air or on the ground

TheGangstaFace

Tempest is good for:
Jacqui (horrible wakeups)
Hunter and HQT Predator (hold that pressure)
Spec Ops Cassie Cage: you can wake up spin punish some of her setups, and Tempest allows you to switch side easily. Also no double armor
Mileena, still a bad matchup but at least Tempest can do better after knocking her down
Kitana, still a bad matchup but F2 hat spin can do better vs Kitana than anything Buzzsaw has, it allows a full combo no matter if F2 hits her in the air or on the ground
I actually prefer Buzzsaw in the Kitana mu but I agree with everything else you said

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Not really. Block low then overhead every time
for starters, thats not what htb is, its about the space of the block link it doesnt have to be a 50/50. but even if that wasnt the case, he can use F4 to fuck up low blocks ez and I'm sure there is other ways too

TheGangstaFace

for starters, thats not what htb is, its about the space of the block link it doesnt have to be a 50/50. but even if that wasnt the case, he can use F4 to fuck up low blocks ez and I'm sure there is other ways too
For starters, good htb's there's a tight link and you don't know whether you're gonna get hit by the overhead or the low first (Summoner as one example). If you get hit by Tremors htb for instance, youre bad. That link is tight af and I block it every time. Ask @Marinjuana . And bringing up F4 is pointless lol. If you're tryna end the game against someone with 14-15% or less then sure. Also none of his setups are real

TheGangstaFace

You can cry htb all you want but if you know which hit is always gonna come first then it doesn't really matter. And I'm not spending a bar for a 14-15% non-guaranteed htb lmao. Watch the Foxy Vs Sonic ft 10 on K&M's channel. Literally sonic didn't take a single htb

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
You can just jump out, backdash of a low saw after block, not letting him pressure you. Sometimes his low saws are reactable honestly. So what's the issue?

TheGangstaFace

You can just jump out, backdash of a low saw after block, not letting him pressure you. Sometimes his low saws are reactable honestly. So what's the issue?
You can armor too

Edit: Actually wait, I'm confused lmao. What are you talking about?

God Confirm

You can cry htb all you want but if you know which hit is always gonna come first then it doesn't really matter.
I'm not crying about shit, I main Cyrax you muppet, I'm just correcting your misinformation. By your logic Cyrax and CSZ don't have ANY htbs at all between them, because the overhead always comes first. Your definition of HTB is completely different to everyone elses, and seems like you've added a bunch of arbitary conditions just to say that Buzzsaw doesn't have any. If you have to block overhead into low within a couple of frames or vice versa, thats a HTB. Whether or not the order can be mixed up is never what HTB was about - that's just 50/50 part of it, which may or may not be part of it, and is for the most part, irrelevant to a true HTB which is borderline unblockable anyway.

For starters, good htb's there's a tight link and you don't know whether you're gonna get hit by the overhead or the low first (Summoner as one example). If you get hit by Tremors htb for instance, youre bad. That link is tight af and I block it every time. Ask @Marinjuana .
what? Tremor has exactly what it is you say that Buzzsaw doesn't - a HTB where the low can come first or second and be made within a frame of the overhead. Where is the consistency here?

regardless, if it IS easy to block it and there is enough frames between both hits to make it so, and you're bad for missing it, then it's not a "Hard-to-Block" is it. It's just an easy to block.

TheGangstaFace

I'm not crying about shit, I main Cyrax you muppet, I'm just correcting your misinformation. By your logic Cyrax and CSZ don't have ANY htbs at all between them, because the overhead always comes first. Your definition of HTB is completely different to everyone elses, and seems like you've added a bunch of arbitary conditions just to say that Buzzsaw doesn't have any. If you have to block overhead into low within a couple of frames or vice versa, thats a HTB. Whether or not the order can be mixed up is never what HTB was about - that's just 50/50 part of it, which may or may not be part of it, and is for the most part, irrelevant to a true HTB which is borderline unblockable anyway.

what? Tremor has exactly what it is you say that Buzzsaw doesn't - a HTB where the low can come first or second and be made within a frame of the overhead. Where is the consistency here?

regardless, if it IS easy to block it and there is enough frames between both hits to make it so, and you're bad for missing it, then it's not a "Hard-to-Block" is it. It's just an easy to block.
My bad, I know what a htb is, I just don't think there's relevance to it if you just lab the shit. The only way it's essentially an unblockable is online in bad connection. Also like I said they're not even real setups. None of them. Also you confused the fuck out of me with the Tremor thing lmao. Point is you block low then overhead. Also when you get angry about video game talk there's no need to call another person names like "puppet" :) Oh and I didn't direct the "you" part at anybody (Hint: That's why I didn't @ you or anyone else or quote you).

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You know Hat Trick is the worst when its not even part of the topic discussion
#Buffhattrick

Now on topic, i prefer buzzsaw more, dive kick conversion gets 26% everytime meterless, easy midscreen damage, corner mixups, can zone, low hat can cover his holes in string and ppl have to hold that.

Tempest just the same as he has always been, nothing changed much aside from a b12~hat spin has a 7f punish which gives him more damage.

God Confirm

My bad, I know what a htb is, I just don't think there's relevance to it if you just lab the shit. The only way it's essentially an unblockable is online in bad connection. Also like I said they're not even real setups. None of them. Also you confused the fuck out of me with the Tremor thing lmao. Point is you block low then overhead. Also when you get angry about video game talk there's no need to call another person names like "puppet" :) Oh and I didn't direct the "you" part at anybody (Hint: That's why I didn't @ you or anyone else or quote you).
I called you a muppet not a puppet, because its a pretty low damage insult for when someone isn't really being that bad but just getting a little carried away, dont think nothin of it lol

Tremor can time his for the low to come first bro

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You can cry htb all you want but if you know which hit is always gonna come first then it doesn't really matter. And I'm not spending a bar for a 14-15% non-guaranteed htb lmao. Watch the Foxy Vs Sonic ft 10 on K&M's channel. Literally sonic didn't take a single htb
To be fair, Hat Trick has unblockable setups out of his hard to blockables that lead to over 40% damage.

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
You can armor too

Edit: Actually wait, I'm confused lmao. What are you talking about?
You can armor, backdash, jump after low saw hit or block correctly and start your turn. So what's really good about buzzsaw?

TheGangstaFace

I called you a muppet not a puppet, because its a pretty low damage insult for when someone isn't really being that bad but just getting a little carried away, dont think nothin of it lol

Tremor can time his for the low to come first bro
Lol alright and I know I was saying there really isn't a mixup. Tremors htb you always block low then overhead. Idk how to explain it. Cuz when Tremor does his htb starting with the low he has to do it like immediately on oki. That's how I block it anyways and it always works. When I get opened up is when he does the slow ass overhead cuz sometimes I'm just trash and not ready for it

TheGangstaFace

You can armor, backdash, jump after low saw hit or block correctly and start your turn. So what's really good about buzzsaw?
Tbh I'm sorry if I'm stupid, it's late lol. Are you saying the opponent can move after they get hit or block a low hat?