What's new

What If Shang Tsung Was In MKX

DJ SLICE 500

its time to confess those SinzZ!
So i had a random thought the other day like what if mkt or umk3 shang tsung was in mkx like how would they balance him i mean like if m
Umk3 came out and mkx came out right after and they had to add him what would his variations be like one to morph maybe into variationless characters like how could they balance that lol thats pretty much what i go over the video

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Isn't Shinnok's design pretty similar to Shang Tsung? Impostor has mimicry, all variations share hell Sparks, bone shaper has the projectile? His moveset has its similarities too?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Isn't Shinnok's design pretty similar to Shang Tsung? Impostor has mimicry, all variations share hell Sparks, bone shaper has the projectile? His moveset has its similarities too?
Somehow the ability to morph into multiple characters got downgraded once consoles started to use disks and was narrowed down to morph only into the character Shang is fighting.

Shinnok's morth also got downgraded as the technology went up, in MK4 Shinnok could mimic the entire character moveset.
in MKX he can only steal one signature move.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
Somehow the ability to morph into multiple characters got downgraded once consoles started to use disks and was narrowed down to morph only into the character Shang is fighting.

Shinnok's morth also got downgraded as the technology went up, in MK4 Shinnok could mimic the entire character moveset.
So what would happen if you made a Mortal Kombat game on the Atari 2600? How would Shang Tsung and Shinnok's morph abilities be affected?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So what would happen if you made a Mortal Kombat game on the Atari 2600? How would Shang Tsung and Shinnok's morph abilities be affected?
Apparently, since before Playstation consoles used cartridges, it worked in favor of the mechanic since you could basically add state controlers to every Shang Tsung morph without load times.

In Theory, i think every character was Shang Tsung back then, and his states were all scattered through the select screen as characters, but when shang is fighting, you could use command do access other states controlers for a limited time.

i.e : state 3100 = Jax, State 1200 = Scorpion, State 2010 = Cyrax, etc etc

when Shang performs:
B,F,D+LP Triggers = state 3100
BL, BL, BL Triggers = State 2010
F, F, D + LP Triggers = 1200

While in morph state when times => 10 secs once shang returns to default stance he morphs back to default shang.

They probably went with the same tech again in Trilogy but since the disk space were 700 MB back then, to access other parts of the disk it costed load times, this has hurt the PS version of Shang Tsung since to morph into anyone it would freeze the game to access the data, they even had an option named "limited" where you could limit his morphs to 4 different characters, or only to pallete swaps since these were easier to load.

My guess the way UMK3, MKT and MK2 were codded was:

Shang ()
Every Other character that is not shang stays coded inside Shang so he can access their states later()

They used this same tech in the arcade for MK4, but since they used 3D models and motion captures skeletons, they used to make Shinnok, instead of morphing into the characters, he could access their skeletons states while using his own sounds.

DJ SLICE 500

Damn good to know i never played mk9 the last mk i played was like armageddon(if thats how you spell it) lol and im assuming since mk started getting competitive thry toned down a lot of thr broken things they used to have remember mk3 classic sub with his ground ice that was unblockable lol

DJ SLICE 500

Apparently, since before Playstation consoles used cartridges, it worked in favor of the mechanic since you could basically add state controlers to every Shang Tsung morph without load times.

In Theory, i think every character was Shang Tsung back then, and his states were all scattered through the select screen as characters, but when shang is fighting, you could use command do access other states controlers for a limited time.

i.e : state 3100 = Jax, State 1200 = Scorpion, State 2010 = Cyrax, etc etc

when Shang performs:
B,F,D+LP Triggers = state 3100
BL, BL, BL Triggers = State 2010
F, F, D + LP Triggers = 1200

While in morph state when times => 10 secs once shang returns to default stance he morphs back to default shang.

They probably went with the same tech again in Trilogy but since the disk space were 700 MB back then, to access other parts of the disk it costed load times, this has hurt the PS version of Shang Tsung since to morph into anyone it would freeze the game to access the data, they even had an option named "limited" where you could limit his morphs to 4 different characters, or only to pallete swaps since these were easier to load.

My guess the way UMK3, MKT and MK2 were codded was:

Shang ()
Every Other character that is not shang stays coded inside Shang so he can access their states later()

They used this same tech in the arcade for MK4, but since they used 3D models and motion captures skeletons, they used to make Shinnok, instead of morphing into the characters, he could access their skeletons states while using his own sounds.

This is extremly informational i never knew all this its still a bit weird that it would become harder to keep the mechanic on a more powerful system

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Shang Tsung would be perfect for the variation system like few others, I'd like to have him.

Still hate that intro though.

I think the variation system is why Shang was never attempted for the roster
why do you say that?

I would main him just like I always did. If he was in the game I wouldn't care if he was trash, he's one of three characters in any fighting game I will go loyalist for.
same here

MK9 Shung had very unique fighting style. I loved him. I do hope he makes it back into next MK game.
he will, hopefully in MK11 with the remake of the deadly alliance

He would be perfect like always, and would make me like mkx. Shang's variations could be very innovative like: 1. Which would revolve around a command grab (maybe having several levels like Kotals: first level stealing opponents meter and inflicting minor damage, second level stealing meter and life like Ermacs push and doing more damage, and the third level doing everything the 2 previous ones do plus morphing Shang into the opponent with the damage boost for 10 seconds)
2. Revolving around zoning with fire (a variety of projectiles) and stolen souls (several types of summoned minions)
3. Revolving around morphing: having all variation specific moves substituted with inputs for morphing ( maybe 3 of them). And either being able to choose three characters(and variations) he will morph into on the select screen (which will be super hard to balance in some cases) or having Shang morph for a limited time into 3 characters that didn't make it into the game with drastically different fighting styles (like heavy zoner Sindel, heavy rushdown Rain, and evasive anti zoner Fujin)

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Shang Tsung would be perfect for the variation system like few others, I'd like to have him.

Still hate that intro though.

why do you say that?
I think the reason he was only able to morph into his opponent in 9 was due to memory constraints. Shinnoks imposter variation may have been the closest they would have gone to having a mimic move in the game or possibly the closest they could have gone, he may have been redundant if added.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I think Impostor Shinnok replaces Shang Tsung as the whole character. He has Shang's hellsparks and his ability to mimic his opponents.

BTW, I want the old man Shang Tsung from MK1.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
if NRS put shang in KP3 or MK 11 , probably mk 11 will be no variation system , so Shang will be like mk 9
maybe morph in random char to make things very hard and more balanced ....

if they put Shang , pls bring back Chameleon both male and female...

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I think the reason he was only able to morph into his opponent in 9 was due to memory constraints. Shinnoks imposter variation may have been the closest they would have gone to having a mimic move in the game or possibly the closest they could have gone, he may have been redundant if added.
to be honest with you I think Shang was only able to morph into his opponent in MK9 to simplify the gameplay and nothing else, even if you were right though, MKX came out some time later and for a new system.