What's new

What if... NRS released a Hyper MK3?

I know people hate when people suggest that MK should do something similar to SF but . . . . .
What if at some point and time Ed & NRS were to release a game in a similar manner to Hyper Street Fighter 2,Alpha, Ultra 4 but with the MK3 series?

Basically a game where you could pick a character and there play style from MK3, UMK3, MKT & MKT-N64?

How would you feel about a game like this? Is it a good idea or bad idea?

I think this would be interesting, but would never happen. Say I'm a Jax player. Say I pick out some of his high-damaging UMK3/MKT combos and use them against someone using a recent configuration. They might get destroyed super fast lol.

MK2 Jax was WAY better than MK3 Jax, of course in their respective games. You pick MK2 Mileena against UMK3 Mileena and UMK3 mileena might get owned due to the simplicity of the damage MK2 would do. However, UMK3 has the run button which adds so many unneeded headaches in the matchup for her.

It would be a good idea however, when HSF2 came out, it was after the hype for ST extended itself for far too long.

I think this would be interesting, but would never happen. Say I'm a Jax player. Say I pick out some of his high-damaging UMK3/MKT combos and use them against someone using a recent configuration. They might get destroyed super fast lol.
Well you may never know because everyone's skill level is different. I just think matches like MK3 Sub-Zero (Strongest Sub in MK3 Series) vs MKT-N64 Scorpion (Best Scorpion in MK3 Series) would be interesting to see played out or MK3 Kabal vs UMK3 Human Smoke.

MK2 Jax was WAY better than MK3 Jax, of course in their respective games. You pick MK2 Mileena against UMK3 Mileena and UMK3 mileena might get owned due to the simplicity of the damage MK2 would do. However, UMK3 has the run button which adds so many unneeded headaches in the matchup for her.

It would be a good idea however, when HSF2 came out, it was after the hype for ST extended itself for far too long.
I was talking about match ups between the various MK3 version (MK3,UMK3,MKT,MKT-N64) But since you brought MK2 in the mix just for fun I'll ask who would win, MK1 Sonya or MK2 Mileena? If Mileena gets caught in the sweep leg grapple trap can she escape?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'd much rather an MKT HD release. Where it would be the N64 version but with updated HD graphics with a fully loaded training mode and online mode. Online would have ranked 1v1, 2v2 and 3v3 and ranked would give you the option to ban Noob Saibot or not as a match making criteria, but the default setting would have him banned. There would also be player match lobbies with up to 6 people being able to join. There would also be team matches where you could partner up with someone and do 2v2 or 3v3's.

I would be able to die happy if this happened.

I'd much rather an MKT HD release. Where it would be the N64 version but with updated HD graphics with a fully loaded training mode and online mode. Online would have ranked 1v1, 2v2 and 3v3 and ranked would give you the option to ban Noob Saibot or not as a match making criteria, but the default setting would have him banned. There would also be player match lobbies with up to 6 people being able to join. There would also be team matches where you could partner up with someone and do 2v2 or 3v3's.

That would be nice. I think I would want the "Hyper" treatment as well since it has more variety too it. It could have all the the features you have.

Side Question: Man Noob is just as bad in the MKT-N64 as he was in MKT? Well if we were to look at the whole MK3 series (MK3, UMK3, MKT, MKT-N64) Which characters would make up a top 5 tier list, Bosses excluded of course.

Example:1.) MKT Noob Saibot, 2.) MK3 Sub-Zero,3.) etc...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
That would be nice. I think I would want the "Hyper" treatment as well since it has more variety too it. It could have all the the features you have.

Side Question: Man Noob is just as bad in the MKT-N64 as he was in MKT? Well if we were to look at the whole MK3 series (MK3, UMK3, MKT, MKT-N64) Which characters would make up a top 5 tier list, Bosses excluded of course.

Example:1.) MKT Noob Saibot, 2.) MK3 Sub-Zero,3.) etc...

Hmm good question. Not really sure as I'm not familiar with regular MK3, oddly enough.

E

Eldriken

What is the difference between MKT on the PS1 versus the N64?

I've played them both, but I can't remember any differences other than I think one had the boss characters and the other didn't.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

I've played them both, but I can't remember any differences other than I think one had the boss characters and the other didn't.
Universally I believe the game speed is faster on the N64 version. Also, the PS1 version has boss characters as well as MK2 characters. MKT has Super Classic Sub-Zero which is basically uSub and C.Sub fused together. There might be more changes, but you'd have to ask someone like @Shock about them.

Universally I believe the game speed is faster on the N64 version. Also, the PS1 version has boss characters as well as MK2 characters. MKT has Super Classic Sub-Zero which is basically uSub and C.Sub fused together. There might be more changes, but you'd have to ask someone like @Shock about them.
Yeah plus some characters where better on N64 than PS1, For example based off the tier list on this site MKT-N64 Scorpion > MKT Scorpion just as an example. Baraka was really high in N64 as well I believe where on PS1 not so much but then again going off memory.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'll try to answer some of these questions tomorrow unless maybe someone like Konqrr or ded_ gets to them first.

I'll try to answer some of these questions tomorrow unless maybe someone like Konqrr or ded_ gets to them first.
You seem to know a bit on MK3 series, Well whom would make up the top 5 in a tier list of the MK3 series between the 4 games? Also which character would be higher between MK3 U.Sub-Zero & MKT-N64 Super Sub-Zero?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You seem to know a bit on MK3 series, Well whom would make up the top 5 in a tier list of the MK3 series between the 4 games? Also which character would be higher between MK3 U.Sub-Zero & MKT-N64 Super Sub-Zero?
I'll sit down and go through this thread this weekend and give some solid answers.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME

One of my dreams before I die is to see this happen, but with the entire MK collective roster.
MUGEN style, but in real life, in the real engine, with real multiplayer capabilities.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Man i would honestly LOVE a re-release of MKT..doesnt matter what version...just release it NRS!!

The over all base of the game is sped up in both versions but some of the graphical quality is better in the PS1 version then in the 64 version. But yea still seems like the N64 version is just a little faster.

Also some differences is there is only 2v2 mode in the PlayStation version and the 64 has 3v3 (this is one of the reasons @9.95 and others use to play that version and i believe phil goes in length on some of the old Kombat Network stream vids as to what the diffs are between versions etc).

Was a very cool stream to listen to, the commentary was mad insightful!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'd always welcome older MK's redone but I still would love to see MKT redone or MK 4 arcade port with net play.

E

Eldriken

I'd always welcome older MK's redone but I still would love to see MKT redone or MK 4 arcade port with net play.
I'd pass on MK4. Wasn't really a fan of it. Trilogy on the other hand would be awesome. That along with Deadly Alliance and Deception.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'd pass on MK4. Wasn't really a fan of it. Trilogy on the other hand would be awesome. That along with Deadly Alliance and Deception.
MK4 definitely isn't the most popular MK no doubt. However I don't think it's quite as bad as some make it out to be. That's just my opinion personally. I'd take either MKT or MK 4 lol. I remember first time playing MK 4 was like MK on speed felt so much faster than any other MK.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
I felt like the gameplay was sluggish on N64 compared to PS1. If we're talking about loading times you can actually speedhack the PS1 version. Set the frame limit in the emulator to max or turn it off, turn on V-Sync on your graphics card. Instant loading times. Makes it almost feel like the arcade.