What's new

What if Mortal Kombat was real? BY LifesBiggestQuestions

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Dumb, but short and fun little video about what our chances would be if the NetherRealm invaded our Earth. Created by the channel LifesBiggestQuestions, which is popular for theorizing about all types of questions that cross nerds minds.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Kano used a single micro nuke to wipe out most of King Gorbak's army in the Outworld Civil War in the comics. There's a reason MK9 showed Shang Tsung buying rocket launchers from the Black Dragon, it's because Outworld doesn't stand a fucking chance against Earthrealm unless they're fighting us in a 1v1 tournament. They're basically vikings with a bit of magic thrown in.

So if MK was real, just send 10 goobers in to die in the tournament, and then annihilate whatever realm tries to invade immediately after. That'll shut the other realms up pretty quick.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Kano used a single micro nuke to wipe out most of King Gorbak's army in the Outworld Civil War in the comics. There's a reason MK9 showed Shang Tsung buying rocket launchers from the Black Dragon, it's because Outworld doesn't stand a fucking chance against Earthrealm unless they're fighting us in a 1v1 tournament. They're basically vikings with a bit of magic thrown in.

So if MK was real, just send 10 goobers in to die in the tournament, and then annihilate whatever realm tries to invade immediately after. That'll shut the other realms up pretty quick.
Oh yeah I can see it now. Outworld invades half the major countries cant agree on what to do, the other half think its the rapture or some shit & say its supposed to happen & march to their deaths. lol

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Like Pure said... doesn't atter how good your acid spit is vs napalm and guided missiles.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
[QUOTE="pure.Wasted, post: 2457369 Outworld doesn't stand a fucking chance against Earthrealm unless they're fighting us in a 1v1 tournament. They're basically vikings with a bit of magic thrown in.

I’m not so sure about that. Shao Kahn’s sorcery could probably wipe out large swaths of the US marine corps

Reactions: Zev

Jynks

[QUOTE="pure.Wasted, post: 2457369 Outworld doesn't stand a fucking chance against Earthrealm unless they're fighting us in a 1v1 tournament. They're basically vikings with a bit of magic thrown in.

I’m not so sure about that. Shao Kahn’s sorcery could probably wipe out large swaths of the US marine corps
why? It can't even wipe out a single fighter, sometimes.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I always thought that power levels in the Mortal Kombat universe were a little bit iffy. I remember a discussion years back, where MKF30 was arguing that Raiden could stand a chance against Thor from Marvel comics. Which I and 99.99% of other people deemed ridiculous. Powerlevel-wise Thor can crack planets and destroy smaller ones with his Mjolnir smites. Raiden on the other hand... Yeah, there is not much physical power behind him, if you ask me. He -like most other "power houses" in the MK universe still compete with regular humans with magical abilities. Okay, not regular humans, since ripping out spines takes strength regular humans don't have... but you get my point. MK characters have low tier super strength. Their durability is probably even lower, since their bodies usually give in much quicker than the damage output is.

I think the closest to which we could get to a "realistic" character in the MK universe would be Stryker, right? And that guy took out Shokans with his weapons. How strong and durable is someone like Kintaro? The strength and durability of two bulls? Three maybe? Four to line it up with his arms? Give person XYZ a shotgun and a rocket launcher and who is going to win the fight?

I'm not hating Earths chances to be honest. I think the biggest obstacle would be invisibility and shape shifting:

Jynks

power levels, what if it is real.... would suprman beat hulk... can you kill a vampire with garlic.....

“Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”
― Grant Morrison

pure.Wasted

power levels, what if it is real.... would suprman beat hulk... can you kill a vampire with garlic.....

“Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”
― Grant Morrison
With respect to Mr. Morrison, I'm not sure he would say that in this context.

Suspension of disbelief is very important in fiction, but only insofar as it takes you on a journey to something real and meaningful. In a universe like MK, tier lists are important because they help us derive meaning from the conflict we see.

When Sub-Zero defeats all four Kombat Kids in a row without breaking a sweat, fights Scorpion to a standstill while also saving him from Frost, and then casually freezes half of Kotal's army and saunters over like it ain't no thang, I'm not demanding to know how his magical powers work. I'm on board with the magical powers. What I want to know is why the fuck anyone else even bothers to get out of bed in the MK universe, because it seems like Sub-Zero could solve pretty much every crisis single-handed.

If I don't understand his power level in relation to other characters, then I don't understand the dramatic stakes of any scene he's in. If I don't understand the dramatic stakes, then I don't give a fuck what happens. If I don't give a fuck what happens... then why watch the story at all?

And to be clear, I'm not saying that MK needs some kind of rigid tier list that goes from #1 to #80, and #2 will NEVER EVER beat #1 under any circumstances. That would be ridiculous. But the writers should treat their characters with integrity. Yes, it's a comic book story, but it doesn't have to be a BAD comic book story.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I always thought that power levels in the Mortal Kombat universe were a little bit iffy. I remember a discussion years back, where MKF30 was arguing that Raiden could stand a chance against Thor from Marvel comics. Which I and 99.99% of other people deemed ridiculous. Powerlevel-wise Thor can crack planets and destroy smaller ones with his Mjolnir smites. Raiden on the other hand... Yeah, there is not much physical power behind him, if you ask me. He -like most other "power houses" in the MK universe still compete with regular humans with magical abilities. Okay, not regular humans, since ripping out spines takes strength regular humans don't have... but you get my point. MK characters have low tier super strength. Their durability is probably even lower, since their bodies usually give in much quicker than the damage output is.

I think the closest to which we could get to a "realistic" character in the MK universe would be Stryker, right? And that guy took out Shokans with his weapons. How strong and durable is someone like Kintaro? The strength and durability of two bulls? Three maybe? Four to line it up with his arms? Give person XYZ a shotgun and a rocket launcher and who is going to win the fight?

I'm not hating Earths chances to be honest. I think the biggest obstacle would be invisibility and shape shifting:

I LOVE THIS GIF!

An Mk tournament we would get smoked. A full on invasion we would stand a better chance. If there's one think we are good at as a species it's finding out new ways to kill each other. We are a highly adaptable species. You would think we are all idiots by watching the news but when shit hits the fan and it gets primal then things change.

Last edited:

Lun

proud TERF!

OBJECTION!!

I strongly disagree.

MKX ruined it all by making it look like Outworld people are poor illegal immigrants.
But let's ignore MKX, whose plot totally sucked anyway.

I remember the other games. I also remember MK3 with the whole Outworld vs Earthrealm.

And here's my take: Outworld and Earthrealm are about equal in power, but the first uses science/technology and the latter uses magic/monsters.

Oh sure, we have nukes. But the Outworld clearly as the magic version of something with the same destructive power.
Why would someone who craves power and is from Earth, like Shang Tsung, go live in Outworld if Outworld was weaker? I always assumed Shang Tsung long time ago was a Chinese doctor, and he became an Outworld sorcerer because magic could do what science couldn't.

pure.Wasted

OBJECTION!!

I strongly disagree.

MKX ruined it all by making it look like Outworld people are poor illegal immigrants.
But let's ignore MKX, whose plot totally sucked anyway.

I remember the other games. I also remember MK3 with the whole Outworld vs Earthrealm.
OVERRULED.

Pre-MK9 games might as well not exist, for all the relevance they have to the story now. Remember purple Outworld? Yeah...

Oh sure, we have nukes. But the Outworld clearly as the magic version of something with the same destructive power.
Then why have we never seen it? Outworld was literally invading Earthrealm in MK9, the scariest thing we saw was dragons.

So what do you make of Outworld forces wreaking havoc in Earthrealm at the end of MK9?

Ya, when Outworld actually invaded Earthrealm, they had a bunch of people running around stabbing us with swords in their arms. That doesn't sound like a particularly dangerous invasion.
If it actually happened in the real world, by the time anyone in authority got notified that there was an alien invasion happening, all the aliens would already be dead because random people shot them.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I think we'd stand a pretty good chance with our current weaponry.

MK definitely takes a lot of liberties, but no one has mentioned the cyborgs yet. You're telling me a group of assassins has enough money/technology to turn humans into robotic cyborgs that can use their technology to teleport uppercut you?

I think we'd struggle a lot more with assassin trained murder machines than we would with tarkatans.

The Mortal Kombat universe has always been quite the stretch in the story it tells, but it's incredibly fun and fantastic and I find I've been able to suspend my disbelief often with it simply because I enjoy it so much.

At the end of the day, the franchise is really like a male soap opera where all the story and dialogue boils down to:

Character 1: "Hey you, let's fight."
Character 2: "Them's fightin' words."

And they fight.

Having said all of that, if it were real and our actual world was invaded by Outworld, I think some countries (mostly first world) would their own just fine, others would have a much tougher time of it or completely fall.

If Shao Kahn and Outworld were able to step through the gate and immediately steal the souls of everyone from the planet like he did in Mortal Kombat 3, different story. That'd be the biggest threat from Outworld, honestly, and something we'd have no defence against because of magic.

While there's some of you saying the original time line doesn't matter, that's 100% incorrect as the original timeline happened, and it resulted in creating the current timeline we have now, which from what we've seen, is going to have elements from the original timeline brought back thanks to Kronika's time manipulation powers.

Both timelines matter and both are possible. It's also interesting to see that even though there's large variations between the timelines, overall plot and character arcs still seem to occur, i.e. Dark Raiden, heroes being killed and raised from the dead to serve a key villain, the overall wars and tone of them still occurring, etc.

In terms of the NetherRealm, I think we'd loose there because infinite spawning demons, magic, and turning our own dead against us. Simple war of attrition over time. Edenia is part of Outworld in this scenario, and the other two realms are part of the 3D era proper that no one wants to remember or think about, so they immediately loose for sucking ;).

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Dude would trump go thru the portal and MOGA, they wouldn’t be able to handle that shit

pure.Wasted

While there's some of you saying the original time line doesn't matter, that's 100% incorrect as the original timeline happened, and it resulted in creating the current timeline we have now, which from what we've seen, is going to have elements from the original timeline brought back thanks to Kronika's time manipulation powers.
First of all, we don't actually know that the original timeline is in any way relevant to MK11 (other than Kronika possibly preferring it).

But more importantly, it's not just that the first timeline "didn't happen," it's more like those games are so ancient, and everything about them has been retconned so heavily, that even if they did happen, they certainly did not happen the way MK1/2/3/4/etc portrayed it back in the day.

So IMO relying on them as evidence of anything at this point is pretty shaky.