What's new

What i needed to learn to level up in MK11

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I consider myself a high level player but I wouldn't say I'm as good as top players at all. I have plenty of room for improvement like most. The biggest lesson I needed to learn before I was able to turn bad MU's into easy matchups was accepting other players are better than me. I had this disillusioned view of online players. They make plenty of mistakes and sometimes jump quite often. I mistook this for scrubby gameplay instead of respecting my opponent and went in thinking I could beat most. This hindered my progress as a competitive player and made me make excuses for why I lost (Lag, timing etc) in reality lag does have a factor in some of your loses but 100ms and below that shouldn't be the case.

I noticed after accepting I was the one making the mistakes and stopped making excuses as to why I didn't win. I was able to analyze what I did wrong and work on improving my strategy and worked on being more adaptable in the FT2 environment.

Labbing matchups and knowing the range of my opponents moves and what overrides them with little movement was a huge cornerstone to my overall progress. Finding unsafe habits they do and ways to punish them including gaps in moves that are frequently used was more than useful.
Practice Mode & Working on Reaction Timing:
I do this daily, I set Scorpion or other Top Tiers I know I will face in ranked in practice mode with AI to record & Random Hidden Playback with several moves that facilitate mixup where I have to react in different ways and work on blocking each one until I can block 3/4 consistently but in some situations I can find a universal response that beats 3/4 moves and leaves me safe in the 4th. For Example:
Liu Kang usually uses F43 mix between F43U3,F43xxLowFireball or F43xxParry and F4 Throw. This requires you to respond in different ways to beat it out but does it?
Parry beats D1 & Highs/Mids/Overheads but is beat by lows and D3.
Low Fire Ball beats all normals and pokes.
F43U3 can be interrupted with a 9f move Like s1 into full combo or Pokes.

What I do instead is let them do the F43U3 and only punish it once then let them spam it and only punish the Parry, Throw & Low Fireball. On reaction you can punish every other option besides his plus on block one. See the delay into throw Duck and Uppercut or Combo. See the Fireball hold Block and duck the high for full combo punish. See the Parry and just wait till the end of it and full combo punish with any starter.
I've found this is very effective vs Liu Kang's F4 mix. Other characters can be beat by a single move which counters every option.

Hope this helps any out there struggling with characters, matchups or themselves. My loses are now positive events instead of being salt inducers because it allies me to improve after seeing the replay if what went wrong.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Seeing how you can whiff punish your opponents strings is a great idea. I usually wing it in game unless I know a certain string for sure. But labbing that against most used characters could be beneficial for a lot of players. I’m gonna start implementing that in my training for sure.

LawAbidingCitizen

Seeing how you can whiff punish your opponents strings is a great idea. I usually wing it in game unless I know a certain string for sure. But labbing that against most used characters could be beneficial for a lot of players. I’m gonna start implementing that in my training for sure.
I didn't include it in my OP but I also lab up my spacing for my best moves in the matchup for instance I use Shang and one of his best tools vs characters that counter his zoning is Ground Explosion (DB1 & DB1F) its a move that is very punishable by a good amount of characters at certain ranges and always on certain strings. I practiced my spacing to place it at the front of their feet so the second hit can't be dashed causing it to Wiff. Then later practiced Backdash cancels into it how long I let the dash rock before canceling into Ground Explosion. This made all the difference vs characters like Cassie and Sonya who can give Shang problems up close since it forces them to respect it or get full combo punished and easily causes them to wiff their normals.

I didn't include it in my OP but I also lab up my spacing for my best moves in the matchup for instance I use Shang and one of his best tools vs characters that counter his zoning is Ground Explosion (DB1 & DB1F) its a move that is very punishable by a good amount of characters at certain ranges and always on certain strings. I practiced my spacing to place it at the front of their feet so the second hit can't be dashed causing it to Wiff. Then later practiced Backdash cancels into it how long I let the dash rock before canceling into Ground Explosion. This made all the difference vs characters like Cassie and Sonya who can give Shang problems up close since it forces them to respect it or get full combo punished and easily causes them to wiff their normals.
Hey man love how you philosophize (word?) the fight game... I've spent YEARS training martial arts and fighting and I tend to look at MK the same way... But really never in that specific light until this post got me thinking... I don't win any more than before... But the knowledge I've gained in my losses since applying this mindset is immeasurable!
Would love to run some sets with you sometime man psn: ckillface13

LawAbidingCitizen

Hey man love how you philosophize (word?) the fight game... I've spent YEARS training martial arts and fighting and I tend to look at MK the same way... But really never in that specific light until this post got me thinking... I don't win any more than before... But the knowledge I've gained in my losses since applying this mindset is immeasurable!
Would love to run some sets with you sometime man psn: ckillface13
If you have XB1 I'd be happy too. GT: Somberless

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It's all good dude, honestly even "pro/top" players make mistakes, if someone understands the game to a competitive extent, I think that's all that matters. That being said I think the main difference is I don't see much of a difference between competitive high level online players and tourney players, other than A. Time and B. Money(it costs a lot to travel around, hotel, food, fees all that jazz) so give yourself some credit man. It's all good, I mean if someone is at least Grand Master on here I'd consider them pretty damn good in this game especially if they got there with a mid or lower tier character especially.

But yeah man, I'd love to play you sometimes. You are Somberless ? Cool, I'm MKF30.

LawAbidingCitizen

It's all good dude, honestly even "pro/top" players make mistakes, if someone understands the game I don't see much of a difference between competitive high level players and tourney players, other than A. Time and B. Money(it costs a lot to travel around, hotel, food, fees all that jazz) so give yourself some credit man. It's all good, I mean if someone is at least Grand Master on here I'd consider them pretty damn good in this game especially if they got there with a mid or lower tier character especially.

But yeah man, I'd love to play you sometimes. You are Somberless ? Cool, I'm MKF30.
Let's do a few sets this week. I think we will be playing TYM League soon and it will be nice to get MU experience, I can always use more MU XP.
Yeah add me up if you haven't and I'm positive we will run into each other in the upcoming tournament. You are on XB1 right?
Oh and my bro is PreNerfTheSmurf

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
did u just quoted the same post 3 times and then replied different to each of them? i must be fucking trpping lol

I just always go into the matches with the mindset that my opponent is good. I never get salty and mostly realize what I'm doing wrong inside the matches.

What hinders my growth specifically is being too lazy to iron out my combos and labbing specific counters. Most of the time I go online, play like 30 matches, then go into ToT to grind out fucking costumes instead of learning to fuzzy Erron/Geras or flawless blocks+ wakeup attack OS.
I did that a lot at the start of the game and whenever I meet a Kitana or Liu that go for their full b2 or f4 string I flawless block that shit effortlessly and full combo it.
Likewise my Searing Rage combos are optimal as fuck, but since I switched to Reborn I'm missing at least 40 damage on every single hit I land, in some cases fucking the combo up completely.

Damn laziness. I'm gonna need to lab more, then fuck people up to get into God/Elder God ranking to be able to play against great players.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
I consider myself a high level player but I wouldn't say I'm as good as top players at all. I have plenty of room for improvement like most. The biggest lesson I needed to learn before I was able to turn bad MU's into easy matchups was accepting other players are better than me. I had this disillusioned view of online players. They make plenty of mistakes and sometimes jump quite often. I mistook this for scrubby gameplay instead of respecting my opponent and went in thinking I could beat most. This hindered my progress as a competitive player and made me make excuses for why I lost (Lag, timing etc) in reality lag does have a factor in some of your loses but 100ms and below that shouldn't be the case.

I noticed after accepting I was the one making the mistakes and stopped making excuses as to why I didn't win. I was able to analyze what I did wrong and work on improving my strategy and worked on being more adaptable in the FT2 environment.

Labbing matchups and knowing the range of my opponents moves and what overrides them with little movement was a huge cornerstone to my overall progress. Finding unsafe habits they do and ways to punish them including gaps in moves that are frequently used was more than useful.
I do this daily, I set Scorpion or other Top Tiers I know I will face in ranked in practice mode with AI to record & Random Hidden Playback with several moves that facilitate mixup where I have to react in different ways and work on blocking each one until I can block 3/4 consistently but in some situations I can find a universal response that beats 3/4 moves and leaves me safe in the 4th. For Example:
Liu Kang usually uses F43 mix between F43U3,F43xxLowFireball or F43xxParry and F4 Throw. This requires you to respond in different ways to beat it out but does it?

What I do instead is let them do the F43U3 and only punish it once then let them spam it and only punish the Parry, Throw & Low Fireball. On reaction you can punish every other option besides his plus on block one. See the delay into throw Duck and Uppercut or Combo. See the Fireball hold Block and duck the high for full combo punish. See the Parry and just wait till the end of it and full combo punish with any starter.
I've found this is very effective vs Liu Kang's F4 mix. Other characters can be beat by a single move which counters every option.

Hope this helps any out there struggling with characters, matchups or themselves. My loses are now positive events instead of being salt inducers because it allies me to improve after seeing the replay if what went wrong.
EASY .

I actually had too low my level to level up lol This game has so many scrub and Noob mechanics that i realize you dont even need a game plan or use baits to win in this game .
like one Great Master said once " you must unlearn what you have learn " lol
MK 11 in a nutshell .

Phenomenal post. I don't have much to add other than I think we all (as players) stand to benefit a great deal from exercising a bit of humility in our approach and respecting our opponents no matter the perceived 'skill level.' You stand to learn from every match you play, and the more you make excuses for why you lost the more you hinder your progress.

Everybody gets salty. We're competitors and we don't like to lose. That's the nature of the thing. But not keeping it in check just clouds the issue and makes it that much easier to throw out excuses. It never helps. It's not your opponent's problem that you didn't or couldn't adapt, it's yours.

Every man is responsible for his own destiny, yes? Well said, Liu Kang.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Great post. I already know most people are better than me so that doesn’t help. I win 2 out 5 matches online consistently. I don’t win many matches with people from here but I have won a few before they warmed up lol. It made me better at blocking if nothing else. My problem is turning those successful blocks into damage and that’s what I need to work on. I’m going to take your advice about labbing particular strings that I always lose from. I always fight the same 4 characters so it shouldn’t be a problem.

LawAbidingCitizen

did u just quoted the same post 3 times and then replied different to each of them? i must be fucking trpping lol
Your not tripping. TYM was wigging out last night and both of us couldn't see when it posted so kept trying to post while it showed nothing. At least that was my problem

LawAbidingCitizen

Great post. I already know most people are better than me so that doesn’t help. I win 2 out 5 matches online consistently. I don’t win many matches with people from here but I have won a few before they warmed up lol. It made me better at blocking if nothing else. My problem is turning those successful blocks into damage and that’s what I need to work on. I’m going to take your advice about labbing particular strings that I always lose from. I always fight the same 4 characters so it shouldn’t be a problem.
Don't sell yourself short man. The only things that separate ok players from excellent ones is practice and learning from loses. If you turn loses into constructive criticism of your own gameplay you will eventually be able to look at the replays and figure out what beat you and change that later on. If you are on XB1 I can lab stuff up with ya. At least show ya Shang, Cassie, Sonya, Jacqui, Erron, Sub Zero.

That doesn't mean that the game is not full with bullshit, but I agree that whinning does not help.

In my case, I do not have talent and good reflexes, so, I have to practice a lot in order to counter act the bullshit. But the problem is....I do not have to much time to practice and when I play I want to have fun online....and I get screwed.

When the game was released I was doing well....but now that the kids that I play against use to play on...monday afternoon and practice almost everyday....when I play on aunday against them the results are not good for me.

But that is the life of an adult.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Don't sell yourself short man. The only things that separate ok players from excellent ones is practice and learning from loses. If you turn loses into constructive criticism of your own gameplay you will eventually be able to look at the replays and figure out what beat you and change that later on. If you are on XB1 I can lab stuff up with ya. At least show ya Shang, Cassie, Sonya, Jacqui, Erron, Sub Zero.
Nah ps4 but I appreciate it. I’m not fishing for sympathy, I’m just a realist lol. I am still better than I have ever been because I’m starting to understand the basics. Stuff like “taking turns” was a new concept to me so I have a long way to go. I’m learning though.

When I labbed I was just trying to learn combos with a still dummy. I have never even thought about how push block helps my particular character and how to build off of that so thanks lol.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
Phenomenal post. I don't have much to add other than I think we all (as players) stand to benefit a great deal from exercising a bit of humility in our approach and respecting our opponents no matter the perceived 'skill level.' You stand to learn from every match you play, and the more you make excuses for why you lost the more you hinder your progress.

Everybody gets salty. We're competitors and we don't like to lose. That's the nature of the thing. But not keeping it in check just clouds the issue and makes it that much easier to throw out excuses. It never helps. It's not your opponent's problem that you didn't or couldn't adapt, it's yours.

Every man is responsible for his own destiny, yes? Well said, Liu Kang.
yes , but not every character has Srub easy Noob Krushing Blows like Scorpion or Baraka loool Thats has nothing to do with Destiny .
Thats just some dumb Mechanic development lol

I take my losses like a man though i will get salty sometimes. I dont say dumb shit in voice chat or anything, ill just vent to myself lol.

My biggest problem is i try and play way too many characters. Then i dont specialize enough and my muscle memory gets jacked up lol. Im gonna try and limit myself to 2 or 3 characters

LawAbidingCitizen

I take my losses like a man though i will get salty sometimes. I dont say dumb shit in voice chat or anything, ill just vent to myself lol.

My biggest problem is i try and play way too many characters. Then i dont specialize enough and my muscle memory gets jacked up lol. Im gonna try and limit myself to 2 or 3 characters
My biggest problem is that I get salty from lag. I've been working on saying GGs and looking over the replay to see what I could have done wrong. Its that I'm a offline player and really don't like WiFi matches.

Bigzo

Noob
Thanks for the post.

I’ve hit a plateau and don’t do better than 500 online. Got bodied at CEO. I think this mindset will help with that so I’ll try.