What's new

What have you done to improve your game since UMK3's release to XBLA?

Goblin Bones

Graveyard Glow
Well if you're Cwell AKA megalomaniac I'd HONESTLY rate you a 3/10 comparared to everyone else HERE.

Compared to XBL standards i guess I'd give you a 6/10

Cwell/mega is pretty bad man. And I know he makes alot of tags, and I faintly remember something about you being him or conected with him or something.

I dunnoo man im drunk as a skunk, What do I know? fucking UMK3 hahahaha
lol are you kidding man ?? never have been or never will be afiliated with him my only tags were
1. Quazy Bones
2. xAcidxSoulx (after 800ms pts)
3. Goblin51O (after 800ms pts)
so please correct your comment . there are a few people on here that have played me on those names and they will tell you the same
i forgive you for your drunkeness ive been there just fix the comment
(check my myspace in my tag)

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I remeber when i seen Konqrr vs MK OWNS U, and i seen broken get the rh, teleport, spear combo with hs, that amazed me when i saw it. From that day foward thats when i realized that i wanted to learn how to play UMK3. Anways, watching combo videos, reading the strategy guides, looking at match videos, practicing in arcade mode, getting owned, learned some run jabs, learning from other players,and adapting to different playing styles is what got me good at this game.

Play someone good for a good while and watch when you play someone that you use to struggle with and see how easy it is for you.
Constantly playing you. I only enjoy playing people at my level or higher. If I'm not trying my hardest, I do terrible and don't think things through. Usually playing you, I think the clearest because in the back of my mind I know you're not going to make many mistakes at all so I try to prevent mine. [ban incoming] analog is not as much as a handicap no more, we had some gooood fuckin matches tonight. two or three lol

Shaney

Noob
Play people who are better than you. ALOT. And I'm not talking about defensive players, OFFENSIVE ONLY.(EX: CD,DC) When I first started playing, I wasn't that good at all but I slowly THOUGHT I was getting better. Then I started running into people better than me. I got in a room with crazy one night and he simply demolished me, effortlessly I might add. From that point on, I knew I wanted to be that good or close to it. So I started playing with him every day for months. Eventually, the other people i thought were good or the people who used to beat me couldn't touch me anymore.

Konqrr: One thing I notice about you is that you are not a very offensive player. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but you've said it yourself that you tend to crack under high level play. The problem there is that if you're already playing defensive and are not attempting to fight much, it's gonna make your opponent want to rush you more in some cases(because he thinks you won't fight back) and it will be harder to get out of. You really need to play better players and try to learn how to get out of those rushes and learn how to rush your opponent back. IMO, offense is more important in this game. A good rush or offense can make your opponent play defense.

Yea but seriously man if people wanna get better don't be afraid to lose.
This is true. Everytime I play someone I always get the feeling that I have to prove myself. And when I lose I get so frustrated and angry. Especially when I play people who I know think that i'm not good, or players that have no respect for my game (everyone ;)).

But recently I've been trying to change that, so maybe It'll help me in the long run.

XBLA is awesome, but i still gotta get a better controller. i've been playing on DS since that came out, and i love those controls.

i've learned more characters and a lot of strats. there are some really perfect players on Live, so ya, it can be frustrating sometimes to keep up with them, but even if im getting killed, i get better from experience

Goblin Bones

Graveyard Glow
This is true. Everytime I play someone I always get the feeling that I have to prove myself. And when I lose I get so frustrated and angry. Especially when I play people who I know think that i'm not good, or players that have no respect for my game (everyone ;)).

But recently I've been trying to change that, so maybe It'll help me in the long run.
I struggle with the same exact thing man no doubt . and the hardest thing to do is to stay with the change of relaxing .... cause you think your all good until you start messin up and it starts to come back

Constantly playing you. I only enjoy playing people at my level or higher. If I'm not trying my hardest, I do terrible and don't think things through. Usually playing you, I think the clearest because in the back of my mind I know you're not going to make many mistakes at all so I try to prevent mine. [ban incoming] analog is not as much as a handicap no more, we had some gooood fuckin matches tonight. two or three lol
I agree with this 100%.

I'd really like to have someone who was good on this site play with me, so that I could improve my game play.

Derek

Noob
Well Konqrr you basically taught me how to play over a period of beating my ass and I'm really happy that you did that. Over time I basically learned to adapt to situations because almost no one plays the same. There are many people with similar styles that really love to push the pace of the match or sit back and turtle.

Before UM3 came out on XBL I had no idea how to play and over a period of a year or so my skill increased greatly no where near the top of the food chain but good enough where I can take matches from anyone. When I first got UMK3 I was ignorant when it came to skill. I picked Scorpion and my game consisted of running away and trying to bait a spear.

Soon after I became the standard R. Smoke scrub that everyone on here has played. Teleport, Spear, Autocombo.

It was soon after that I played you for the first time at like 2 AM and I added you. You slowly gave me tips and ideas as to what to do in certain situations. I learned fast and started picking up strategies and started playing with more top tier characters instead of R. Smoke and eventually started to become fairly skilled with H. Smoke or at the least capable.

Now more than ever UMK3 has finally gotten to the point to where it's more of a mental game for me than anything else. If I were to look at myself back then compared to how I play now I realized that I really knew nothing I had no idea what run-jabs were or how to bait someone. Now I do.

I feel that I can still get better but I don't know what I should be doing. DC still makes me feel like I don't know how to play UMK3(DAMN YOU)! But other than that there aren't too many people that are head and shoulders better than me aside from the big names.

Oh and I'm a tier whore.

oBryant

Noob
i cant really tell if i have gotten better just by playing but when i play someone that used to be a challenge and then beat them that inspires me to keep playing.. and i also heard someone say you are only as good as your compotition and that just went straight to me and now i only like to play with people who are better then me.. and when i say better i mean people who dont over use there Toe kicks (down low kick)

I learned what my strengths were and accepted it. i learned how to use characters which fit my playstyle (i guess i'm defensive) and see what other combos and strategies people use. I good portion of what I do are modifications are what others have done on me. Lastly, I'm not afraid to try new things on different kinds of people to find out what works and what doesn't. This often costs me matches but c'mon is it really that serious?

...i also heard someone say you are only as good as your compotition and that just went straight to me and now i only like to play with people who are better then me.. and when i say better i mean people who dont over use there Toe kicks (down low kick)
SWEET! Is this gonna turn into another of those, "I want to get better, I love the game, but people who use <Blocking/Run Jabs/Fireballs/Throws/Toe-Taps/Place Basic Move Here> are newbz," arguments. Cuz, y'know, those kinds of threads are AWESOME.

Papa "OMG! U GOTZ TEH UPPERCUT HACK!!!111!!one!!!" Jester

Like the sunburned ass of a dead cat. But at least I finally have an excuse to sleep 15 hours a day.

The, "Cold," turned out to be strep. But now that I know, the antibiotics should knock it out, thanks for asking.

And I guess since I'm posting in his thread, I should answer the question Konqrr posed. My answer is, not a damned thing. I always played for fun, if I end up improving, it's purely incidental. I occasionally ask people I'm playing with for pointers, or whatever, but I haven't bought a special UMK chair, or a stick, or a case of Red Bull (I hate that shit anyway, wouldn't even drink it if it cured cancer), or anything like that. If I were playing a match I felt I just HAD to win, I'd probably unplug the mic (talking while playing distracts me), turn off the music, and actually play alone using MAME for practice. But I play to have fun, and as much as I enjoy playing UMK for it's own sake, I have much more fun playing with people on my Friends List I can joke around with.

So, long story short, if you want helpful advice, go re-read the posts from DC, Shaney, KM, Sugar, et al. I'm just in it for fun, and because I usually can't sleep at night.

- Papa

I had a guy (KNOWnoGOOD) the other day tell me I'm a loser cause I have a turbo. wtf is a turbo? this ain't the nes

heh, that's probably the funniest hate message I've heard of in a while. Did you reply telling him that the Contra code will give him teh sooper-speed?

EDIT: Wait, DO you have turbo? Is THAT what you've done to improve your game since UMK3's release on XBLA? Confess!

Droopy

Noob
I had a guy (KNOWnoGOOD) the other day tell me I'm a loser cause I have a turbo. wtf is a turbo? this ain't the nes
Its probably a modded controller, my friend has one that he uses to play in fps games but theres no way it will help anyone in UMK3 because all it does is rapid 1 button.

Shaney

Noob
I got accused of using a turbo controller one time, according to the guy I played, not missing a combo means you're using one...

Tim Static

Adminerator
I have a Madcatz 360 pad with turbo on it.

It doesnt even do anything for MK. It would in no way give you an advantage.

"Stop glitching up the game, man" - some dude on XBL