What's new

SALTY What does it actually mean to be 'broken'

Are there really that many OP things in the game

• Nah bruh git gud

• Lord Brady was right about it all!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Janitor

Mop Dispensery
In MKXL conversations this word probably gets used more than the actual phrase 'Mortal Kombat', so I figured we'd dive deeper into what it actually means and in it's varying degrees see if certain things belong in the game and if others don't (*cough cough Alien).

Are we all just being salty, or is there some truth to our claims when it comes to moves having too much power? I thought the video below would start as a base for our discussion.

(P.S please don't derail this)

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Usually if there's a character or a move that one can do without fear of beying destroyed, and all you can do is play his game instead of actually doing something of your own to condition him, then it is perceived as broken.

Equo, Grandmaster clone. For more than half the cast, when you don't have meter you just ended up in a 10-0 matchup.

The term "broken" gets thrown out way more than it should.

If something is truly broken, usually it means that it negates aspects of regular game play, or it functions outside of the parameters that every other mechanic of the game abides by.

I take a very literal interpretation; if something doesn't work the way it's supposed to, then it's broken. Other disagree with that interpretation, but whatevs.

llabslb

R1D1_998
I love the videos core a gaming makes. To answer your question broken stuff affectively break and defy the fundamental aspects of fighting games. Theres a difference between being overpowered and being broken. Although there are characters in this game that are practically neutral killers like sonya, she isn't necessarily game breaking.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
To be broken is to have sometimes a lot of whiffs, like Sub Zero's Ice Klone and Kenshi's Astral Projections not hitting the opponent. Another example is Ermac's glitch with the HP bar. Another is Alien's EX skydrop drone being 40% in exchange of Leatherface's EX chainshaw throw, which is 12%.

Those very glitches are the definition of "broken" itself.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
There are not that many tools singularly that are completely broken. It is mostly a multitude of amazing tools in tandom, the only broken as fuck tool right now is ex kunai, which to be honest the only thing they need to change about it is to make it a mid instead of a low

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
for me, in fighting games, the term "broken" means that, some specific gameplay mechanic/technic that, after/along some time that the game exists, people got conclusion that this stuff, it has no counter actions in the game, to avoid or defend against, no matter what you do to fight back. Meaning that blocking, jumping or counter poking have no effective results to stop it or minimize the abusive effect of some confirmed broken thing in the game.

something to be broken, must pass through the proof of time in the game; nor something to be considered early when the game was recently released or not submited yet to a considerable number of tests in major fg events.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Broken: in MK is a tool/move that breaks the meta and at the same time gives advantage to a single character over the entire cast. the problem with alot of people misusing this term is a character can be strong with many tools used together, none of them being broken at all, but at the core the fighter has it all and is able to handle any matchup like Mileena, she doesn't really have any move or tool that is truley broken but because of her data and toolset she has favorable matchups across the board.

Overpowered can be used to describe a character as whole or simply a move that is well Better than all other characters that use something similar. like aliens B3, perfect example would be its the only character that can almost full screen mix up. but what would make a character Broke would be aliens JIP2 which auto corrects, alien jip2's you and wiffs but still has advantage like alien hit you with it. that would be an example of how a move breaks both the meta and breaks game mecanics and at the same time allows alien to have an advantage over the cast, and alien does because has mixups like the rest but at farther range than the rest and can not be punished even if it was negative because of the range, but more so because of the Jip that noone else has.

Certain characters are given tools that other characters do not have to deal with certain situations.

like lets say i am kenshi, and my wakeup has limited option's and im against a Jax/ Alien, well i get knocked down OFC itll happen, and i try this time to Meter burn wakeup, well Jax has a 2 hit normal that breaks armor and at the end of it mixes up the opponent, so not only does that tool he has but i do not have break armor, and one of my only options this character has been given something i do not have, and its not fair for many matchups that don't have that tool to use.

Kenshi would have to use something like Xray to do something like that which cost him all 3 bars, while Jax only has to use a normal for zero bars and can do it freely.

BTW its an Example and im not calling Jax Broken or OP.

but you get the idea. just having that tool does not make them broken, and kenshi is not a character to compare to the top. he kinda does not have what the top tier has so not a good comparison. but a character like Mileena or Alien has plenty of tools to deal with everything, now if Mileena had a JIP that auto corrected like alien and maybe another strong tool that broke the meta she would be Broken. one tools he does have is really broken, and that is her normal Ball roll, the first couple frames has a hitbox, then after she starts rolling toward you she has no hitbox, what makes her diofferent than lets say Cassie and her invulnerable NUTpunch is Mileena along with that BS game breaking no hitbox roll, she has all the tools to be an A+-S tier character.

Perfect examples of Broken from this game would be: Pre patch Tanya and her constant pressur with a teleport that jailed into more pressure and could not be hit out of air, allowing Tanya to loop pressur, and the game was not intended to allow a player to deny other players a turn.

Same concept with Pre patch Quan chi Summoner, when he could jail into Multiple mixups that lead to high damage and could be looped over and over and was very hard to block even by professionals. thats game breaking

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
In MKXL conversations this word probably gets used more than the actual phrase 'Mortal Kombat', so I figured we'd dive deeper into what it actually means and in it's varying degrees see if certain things belong in the game and if others don't (*cough cough Alien).

Are we all just being salty, or is there some truth to our claims when it comes to moves having too much power? I thought the video below would start as a base for our discussion.

(P.S please don't derail this)

"broken". Overused term. ie: exaggerated.
Things in fighting games that are really broken are all of the below:
- Safe
- Advantageous
- Without a counter
- Hard/not possible to react to
So think about a safe, low hitting armoured launcher that also has an overhead mixup option attached. Not many of those.

Now when people say this game is full of retarded shit, it's not as bad as the above, but combination of at least two or three of those properties.
EDIT Mileena's Roll is unsafe on block but a low armoured launcher for example.

Last edited:

AGRxShiroKuma

The White Bear
"broken". Overused term. ie: exaggerated.
Things in fighting games that are really broken are all of the below:
- Safe
- Advantageous
- Without a counter
- Hard/not possible to react to
So think about a safe, low hitting armoured launcher that also has an overhead mixup option attached. Not many of those.

Now when people say this game is full of (soap bar in my mouth) shit, it's not as bad as the above, but combination of at least two or three of those properties.
Mileena's Roll is unsafe on block but a low armoured launcher for example.
I though her ball was a mid? Ex ball roll starts over head then goes into a mid right?