What's new

What do you think of differing health values next time?

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Just a thought, do you think it would be good or bad and can you present a couple reasons why?

By differing health values I mean some characters having more or less than 100% health by a small margin (up to around ten percent) Attacks deal the same amoutn of damage, but some characters can take a bit more.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
it doesn't seem like it would be so bad. Kabal/Kenshi/Cage with 70-75% health? seems fair

Briyen

Noob
i dont see why thats so bad, maybe give sheeva some more health, it's done in SFiv and might be in Injustice

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Differing health could work in any game, really, and it usually makes a huge difference.

The only reason Noob in UMK3J wasn't any lower was due to the extra health he had alongside the male ninja base. Sagat having 1100 health in vanilla SFIV was a controversial aspect because it was too much.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Give Jade the opportunity to die the second round with 3 bars of meter, she comes back as Dark Jade.
GFTO lol

This is one of two reason why I say no...because we would have a character(s) like Dark Phoenix and would make the game rediculous

2. Let's give NRS a chance to make a game a fully functioning game first before we ask for more variables.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
No. The only purpose this serves, imo, is another way to imbalance the game. Nothing good can come of differing health values.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
How could it Unbalance the game? This game, maybe, but not a game with that in mind, i.e. MK10

i dont see why thats so bad, maybe give sheeva some more health, it's done in SFiv and might be in Injustice
I was thinking about that and was why I had made this actually :p

Give Jade the opportunity to die the second round with 3 bars of meter, she comes back as Dark Jade.
Hmmm, can she control this?

Tolkeen

/wrists
You can't have differing health values when damage is calculated in percentages. 35% of 100 is 35. 35% of 75 is 26.25. See how it doesn't balance?

And also, a smoke player saying that people need less health than the character that takes 75% with one bar? You're spending too much time with REO, all I seem to see out of you is TROLL after TROLL.

RoGE

Noob
Theres no reason, as Mike Z said, it really doesn't change match ups that much. Look at BBCT Nu vs Tager, even if they gave Tager DOUBLE health, it'd still be a really bad match up if the Nu player knew what they were doing, the problem isn't health, its the fact that Tager doesn't have the proper tools to fight Nu.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I'd rather they focus on balancing the characters better, the differing health values I've never been a fan of that set up.

If anything a slow character like Sheeva should have the highest damage output to compensate her for her weakness, while a speedy character like Cage should have a lower damage output, that's simple things to do to help with balance, nothing too complex.

GambitTheFirst

Just some bees, please.
Nothing good can come of differing health values.
Blazblue, SF, UMvC3, all good games in their own right. Unless of course you meant nothing good for MK specifically.

This is one of two reason why I say no...because we would have a character(s) like Dark Phoenix and would make the game rediculous
Why would differing health values guarantee a character like Dark Phoenix? Just because it makes it easier to make and balance a character with resurection style super doesn't mean you have to have a character like that. Also I don't play UMvC3 but I'm pretty sure they successfully balanced her out after the mess up in vanilla, so water under the bridge.

I personally think it would be cool, characters like Kabal can be more justified to have ridiculous amounts of tools because they have less life, characters like Sheeva need a bit more on their side to compensate for slow as fuck normals.

But as said, MK has always been damage in percentages, not actual values, so they'd have to change that. So even though I think differing health does add depth to characters, I don't trust NRS with too many changes so I agree with:

Let's give NRS a chance to make a game a fully functioning game first before we ask for more variables.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
No. The only purpose this serves, imo, is another way to imbalance the game. Nothing good can come of differing health values.
Actually, the concept of differing health values was implemented in other games to increase balance in a game. Look at Seth in SF4. If he had the same health as everyone else, he would probably be banned in tournaments. It may be able to work in MK, but they've never done it so I don't expect them to start now.

In MK9, some characters do have more "stamina" as opposed to others but not in the way you would think. Characters with low hitboxes in this MK9 is like having more stamina as opposed to something like street fighter. A character like Mileena who has the smallest hitbox won't take as many hits as someone like Sheeva who has the biggest hitbox (croching and crouch block are hugely different for these two characters, chip damage inflicted to Sheeva is potentially damage Mileena never has to take). There also exist "Sheeva" combos while Mileena will fall out of certain combos because of her small hitbox. In this sense, characters with smaller hitboxes extend the use of their health bars as opposed to large hitbox characters. In a game like street fighter, character's with smaller hitboxes typically had less hitpoints. You would think it would be the other way around, but not in this game.

Personally I don't think it would work too well. At most characters like Sheeva could have 10% or so more than the likes of Kabal. But yeah, too mus risk of it going badly.