What's new

What do you think MK12 should play like?

I'm all for the slower speed of MK 11, but whatever they do, fucking bring back character identity. Too many characters play basically the same because their unique and iconic tools are nerfed to boredom.

I don't mind that there's a build for sub zero that lets him do safe damage with lots of + frames, but I do mind that we don't have a corner trap ice clone option, and the closest thing we do have is "sometimes" worth the gimmick. That's a failure of design on a critical level.

time for some necroposting I guess

• raise the game speed back to MKX levels
  • keep Krushing Blows but either remove the xray closeups entirely or have them on a toggle, they break the pace too much. Counterhits are perfectly fine however
  • change Fatal Blows to being once-per-round again, having them regenerate upon whiff is just silly. No comeback mechanic should operate like this
  • change Perfect Block to have a more prominent role. Tighter window but bigger pushback, more recovery for easier punishes, and meter reward
  • unify the Offensive/Defensive meters
  • leave Wakeup Rolls in but instead of costing meter just make them throw-punishable
  • give everybody (or at least most of the cast) an invincible reversal
  • make projectiles clash with each other instead of passing through. Fireball wars are more hype than two people throwing an ice ball at each other and standing there frozen for several seconds
  • make d1 and d3 chain/link into either each other or into standing normals, or cancellable into specials. D1 into Throw looks dumb and clunky and I can't believe NRS are okay with this being a thing
  • make EX moves an input alongside the main move command, the current "meter burn" timings for various specials are very unintuitive
  • bring back running (but at a slower speed) or make dash blocking an actual mechanic so people have mobility options
  • change Breakaway to be like Guilty Gear's burst where it has its own gauge. Alternatively make it like the 3D MK titles so you have a limit number of uses per round/per match and introduce an element of strategy whether you want to escape being juggled
  • give everybody a proper frontflip/backflip animation (except for the bigger body characters obviously), the jumps look very stupid in recent NRS titles. This also changes everyone's hurtboxes mid-air
  • keep the dial-a-kombo system, it's been a staple for MK games since MK3
  • change all inputs to be quarter/half/full circles instead of the awkward directional taps
  • add a universal superjump command to help characters with poor mobility or help matchups against oppressive zoners to get in easier since right now you sometimes have to rely on Interactables that prop your character out of the corner/forward through the stage
finally here's the most controversial one - REMOVE THE VARIATION SYSTEM. In MKX it was a very interesting concept where character playstyles straight up changed significantly based on the variation you chose (though of course due to questionable balancing some variations were simply superior to others). In MK11 all they do is gimp characters by removing certain specials from their movelists, which players have then to fix themselves through the custom variations (which arrived too late and should've been there from day one). That's not to mention that up until a certain patch, everyone only had two tournament legal variations whereas X had three.
If NRS don't want to put as much effort into making characters truly unique then get rid of variations entirely and instead expand the movelists across the board

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
I hope MK12 has some legacy and is a neutral/grounded based fighter(that MK11 kinda was but had poor execution) even tho MKX has my favorite gameplay. The combo system should be like MK9/MKX. The wakeup system is like MKX but you can also backwards roll for 1 bar. No variations but characters will have big movesets to compensate, like MK9. The 3 bar meter system is back with manual meter building. You can still gain meter by special moves or taking damage but whiffed special moves will not gain meter. Blocked moves will though. Although projectiles will not gain meter unless you actually land them. D2s and D1s are - 8 and are punishable and D1s have pushback on hit to prevent spamming. Krushing Blows are still here but are only granted on counters/punishes and are only combo extenders. Each character only has 3. You can save KBs after meeting the requirements so you can extend combos. Fatal Blows are still here but they only come after BOTH players get under 40% and after 10 seconds. They have no armor, no pushback, and are -60 on block. If whiffed or blocked, they do not come back. Combine this with a good roster, story, and singleplayer content and you've got the greatest MK ever. What do you guys think? Sorry if this was long.
About the specials building meter, maybe after three of the same consecutively the meter stops building to avoid being rewarded for spamming.

I’d like the next MK to be less arcadey and silly feeling and more practically brutal if that makes sense. It’s kinda become a pet peeve that a game built around violence doesn’t have any real impact in that regard to the gameplay. Fatal blows just seem stupid now where you can literally mutilate someone by shattering bones or crushing organs and they pop right back up for more.

Basically I’d love to see them go crazy with realistic animation quality and more dynamic physical damage systems that mean something. Every character would have normals and specials but on top of that there would be advanced versions, kinda like metered ones but more difficult to pull off. They could be called Criticals Kriticals and would involved breaking limbs or damaging internal organs/head, etc. These would put your character into a desperation state which would prompt a retaliation opportunity that would give them a unique, more damaging move set for a limited time; possibly metered itself.

Fatal blows could still exist but would be more like brutalities that would end the match, although they would not require a combo and instead be more conditional in some way, be it a specific damage type to your opponent and/or possibly also a reward for performing certain challenges (punishes, reversals, combos, etc.).

Last edited:

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
What I would like:
Stop being a string-based fighting game, where every character plays exactly the same and has no identity.
What will happen:
It will play just like MK11, but with an added mechanic.

BSJeebus

Future Karate Expert
I honestly would like them to do away with the meter system and bring back the 'Promove' system from MKvsDC. Basically: Each character had EX versions of specific specials. But, instead of being tied to a meter, the player had to input a button combo at a specific point during the special to activate it.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Stop being a string-based fighting game, where every character plays exactly the same and has no identity
That'd be quite the change. I feel like the string based system has kind of been what NRS has been known for since MK9.

What would they replace it with?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I honestly would like them to do away with the meter system and bring back the 'Promove' system from MKvsDC. Basically: Each character had EX versions of specific specials. But, instead of being tied to a meter, the player had to input a button combo at a specific point during the special to activate it.
That would mean an infinite supply of EX moves day one.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Was there some kind of resource tied to this, or was it just an execution thing?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Execution: There was a 4 frame (I believe) window at VERY specific points in certain specials and (some combos).
I think that could be interesting, only concern is that like @Cobainevermind87 said you'd basically be giving characters almost unlimited meter. So you'd probably need to tone down the effects of special moves.

BSJeebus

Future Karate Expert

BSJeebus

Future Karate Expert
Ok, so he basically did 50% damage without using any resources, correct? He could just do that combo as often as he lands the hit?
Correct. It depends entirely on execution... Yeah, I see what you're getting at

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Correct. It depends entirely on execution... Yeah, I see what you're getting at
I mean I'm a big fan of Virtua Fighter which has no meter system whatsoever, so I'm not against it.

I wouldn't mind a hybrid system, where you earned meter and in order to use it it means doing a Promove. If nothing else I think Jacqui had her F2,2 move which had a slightly higher execution barrier that resulted in her uppercut launch thing. They could certainly put in more moves like that across the roster, which seems similar in spirit.

BSJeebus

Future Karate Expert
I mean I'm a big fan of Virtua Fighter which has no meter system whatsoever, so I'm not against it.

I wouldn't mind a hybrid system, where you earned meter and in order to use it it means doing a Promove. If nothing else I think Jacqui had her F2,2 move which had a slightly higher execution barrier that resulted in her uppercut launch thing. They could certainly put in more moves like that across the roster, which seems similar in spirit.
Hmmm, a hybrid system could work pretty well, actually.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
In all honesty, I’d want it play like MKX but with no run, no interactables & the stamina bar is for cancels. The 3 variation system from MKX is fine but changed to 4 just for legacy characters. The fourth variation is for legacy characters so they have a retro variation just as they played like in MK9 with their retro looks from MK9.
I also wouldn't mind if it was just like MK9 but no invincible moves or ridiculous armour.

[ D2s and D1s are - 8 and are punishable and D1s have pushback on hit to prevent spamming.
[/QUOTE]
Why should a poke be punishable besides from a whiff punish? A poke is supposed to be safe.

It should play like MK9

But fr, if the rumors of 12 playing like "11 with X mixed in" I don't think I'd I'd too upset. In 11 it felt like they took away a lot without adding in anything else to compensate. But if the compensation is a starting roster of 50 characters, then the depth comes from the amount of characters, which would make me more open to idea of characters having limited movesets.

But putting aside all the rumors, if I could make a ground up MK game, I'd have it play like a mix of MK9, Tekken 7, Killer Instinct 3 and King of Fighters XIII. Have movement like KoF, character uniqueness like KI3, combos like a mix of T7 and MK9, and fill in the rest like meters and whatnot with MK9. Every character should be fun to use, make movement fluid, otg's as an MK first and traits like KI's Instinct to help make everyone stand out. Also could get a normal zoner instead of a projectile zoner? That'd be nice.