What's new

What do you think MK12 should play like?

I hope MK12 has some legacy and is a neutral/grounded based fighter(that MK11 kinda was but had poor execution) even tho MKX has my favorite gameplay. The combo system should be like MK9/MKX. The wakeup system is like MKX but you can also backwards roll for 1 bar. No variations but characters will have big movesets to compensate, like MK9. The 3 bar meter system is back with manual meter building. You can still gain meter by special moves or taking damage but whiffed special moves will not gain meter. Blocked moves will though. Although projectiles will not gain meter unless you actually land them. D2s and D1s are - 8 and are punishable and D1s have pushback on hit to prevent spamming. Krushing Blows are still here but are only granted on counters/punishes and are only combo extenders. Each character only has 3. You can save KBs after meeting the requirements so you can extend combos. Fatal Blows are still here but they only come after BOTH players get under 40% and after 10 seconds. They have no armor, no pushback, and are -60 on block. If whiffed or blocked, they do not come back. Combine this with a good roster, story, and singleplayer content and you've got the greatest MK ever. What do you guys think? Sorry if this was long.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Make it 3D and have it play like Virtua Fighter.
As much as I would love this as I love Virtua Fighter & 3D MKs but if MK went back to 3D it would literally create chaos & split the community again between 2D & 3D players which happened before, not the most fun of time...

Anyways...
It would hurt NRS because MK11 already created a huge rift in the community by changing so much between MKX & MK11. They would lose a big part of their player base because they don’t want to play 3D fighting games or tired of NRS’s bullshit, they would go to other 2D titles like Guilty Gear, Street Fighter & maybe Killer Instinct, older NRS titles such as MKX or lose them completely until they go 2D again & it would be unlikely they would have a game as good as MK9 to save them again.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm mostly kidding about the 3D idea for MK, I think 2D is the way to go. Although I really do like how VF handles it's general frame data and core elements.

I'd be curious to see how MK would play with more of an emphasis on meterless launchers, like normals or strings to start combos, and special moves being more of an ender or mid combo extender as opposed to being a launcher. Similar to VF, certain strings could lead to bigger or smaller combos, with them being safer or less safe depending on the potential damage.

Right now a lot of MK/Injustice is simply any cancelable string/normal into the same launching special move each time, and then it's into the same middle string and into an ender special move. All roads lead to the same combo.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
That's how it was in MK9 and X.

It's like they went out of their way to handcuff you in MK11.
Was that the case? I'm more familiar with Injustice 2 and MK11. Never played MK9, and only briefly played through story mode of MKX. Watched some high level MKX tournaments and online play, but didn't really play too much of it myself. In my mind I think of MKX still mostly being String into Launcher, but I could just be mis-remembering.

Was that the case? I'm more familiar with Injustice 2 and MK11. Never played MK9, and only briefly played through story mode of MKX. Watched some high level MKX tournaments and online play, but didn't really play too much of it myself. In my mind I think of MKX still mostly being String into Launcher, but I could just be mis-remembering.
You could launch Metreless in both games easily, off of launching moves or certain strings. For example Mileena's Ball Roll launched, no Metre required. Kitana in both games had string that launched (F2,1 in Mortal Kombat and F2,2,U4 in Mortal Kombat XL as examples.

It's like they went out of their way to handcuff you in MK11.
They completely changed the style of play. I know people who like it, people who don't, and people in the middle line. Having said that, I know a lot more people who picked up and enjoyed the game casually, people who don't normally play fighting games. It was certainly more accessible as a result.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
You could launch Metreless in both games easily, off of launching moves or certain strings. For example Mileena's Ball Roll launched, no Metre required. Kitana in both games had string that launched (F2,1 in Mortal Kombat and F2,2,U4 in Mortal Kombat XL as examples.
Cool. I was thinking specifically about launching normals and strings. In MK11 Raiden's only launching string mid screen is 21, which scales heavily and only really leads to either a quick ender or the one launcher he'd likely have equipped. In MKX it looks like he has a couple strings that launch mid screen and then can be followed up with another string or advancing normal to do a combo.

I just think it'd be interesting if the game was more about "string/normal into string/normal" and then into a special move or ender or whatever, instead of now how it's basically "string/normal into special move launcher into etc".

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Yeah I want to say at least 90% of the cast could launch via a string they were given, or a meterless special. The only character I can recall at the moment who couldn't was Shinnok. But even then, he could launch with his overhead stomp b3, and follow it up with f221+3 restand with bone shaper. Though the b3 was unsafe on block.

They completely changed the style of play. I know people who like it, people who don't, and people in the middle line. Having said that, I know a lot more people who picked up and enjoyed the game casually, people who don't normally play fighting games. It was certainly more accessible as a result.
Yeah you know which side of the fence I'm on lol. It's fine though. I realized early on that I was not part of the target audience for this game.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
In MK11 Raiden's only launching string mid screen is 21, which scales heavily and only really leads to either a quick ender or the one launcher he'd likely have equipped. In MKX it looks like he has a couple strings that launch mid screen and then can be followed up with another string or advancing normal to do a combo.
Yup. In MKX he was fun to play. Your main midscreen punish was f12b2 into b14 fbrc into 214 electric fly for 28% meterless. His b2 was the same as it is in MK11 except it recovered way faster so you could combo from it. Midscreen you could something like b2~run b14 electric fly. In the corner, you could loop it. b2, b2, 214 ex shocker, b14 fireball for like 42% and leaving you around +15 lol

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Yup. In MKX he was fun to play. Your main midscreen punish was f12b2 into b14 fbrc into 214 electric fly for 28% meterless. His b2 was the same as it is in MK11 except it recovered way faster so you could combo from it. Midscreen you could something like b2~run b14 electric fly. In the corner, you could loop it. b2, b2, 214 ex shocker, b14 fireball for like 42% and leaving you around +15 lol
I think I'd like that kind of combo system for MK12, but without as much of the constant high hit advantage 50/50's of MKX.

So I guess my preference would be:

Pace of MK11
Combo system of MK9/MKX
Wakeup/Breaker system of Injustice 2
Character variety of Injustice 2
Frame data/fundamentals similar to Virtua Fighter (I also really like in VF how properties of moves can change on Counter hit vs Hit)
More Ninjas
More Monsters

As long as that legacy has nothing to do with MK11, I'm down.
Also, we tried the "neutral/ground based" thing with MK11 and that was boring as hell. NRS needs to go nuts with the next MK. It's so far away though, it's hard to really care.
MK11 wasn't boring because it was neutral based, it was boring because characters lacked complexity, lack of combo creativity, the wakeup system which made meaties basically non-existent, and the FB minigame.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Cool. I was thinking specifically about launching normals and strings. In MK11 Raiden's only launching string mid screen is 21, which scales heavily and only really leads to either a quick ender or the one launcher he'd likely have equipped. In MKX it looks like he has a couple strings that launch mid screen and then can be followed up with another string or advancing normal to do a combo.

I just think it'd be interesting if the game was more about "string/normal into string/normal" and then into a special move or ender or whatever, instead of now how it's basically "string/normal into special move launcher into etc".
Functionally, what difference would that make? You’re still talking about hitconfirming into a launch and going from there.

MK pretty much has always revolved around string into a capture or launch special and so on.

Unless you go into a link combo structure like SF or something, that’s just how string based fighting games go.

I don’t see why it would be more fun or novel for example to have a string like let’s just say f211+3…. You’re saying that it would launch itself. Ok, so to finish the string on block would be punishable, and if you see it’s blocked you would stop at f21. How’s that really more fresh than if the rather than the string launching itself and hitconfirming into the 1+3, you would cancel into db1 or whatever?

Personally, I’m fine with the string into special into jump normal/stand normal into string into special ender sort of combo shape. I just want more creativity in what links, harder optimals, and longer more fluid and dynamic combos. If they had gone back to combobreaker, toned down fatal blow, and made combos more extended and flashy, MK11 would’ve been amazing for me.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
MK11 wasn't boring because it was neutral based, it was boring because characters lacked complexity, lack of combo creativity, the wakeup system which made meaties basically non-existent, and the FB minigame.
completely agree. I didn’t mind the lack of run, the lack of OH/low 50-50’s, etc. I just really missed the ability to do combos like in MKX. Doing Kitana, or predator or tremor combos in mkx just felt so fun, as did so many others.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
In all honesty, I’d want it play like MKX but with no run, no interactables & the stamina bar is for cancels. The 3 variation system from MKX is fine but changed to 4 just for legacy characters. The fourth variation is for legacy characters so they have a retro variation just as they played like in MK9 with their retro looks from MK9.