What's new

What do YOU think defines a high level player at UMK3/MKT?

NoDoubt

nasty
OJuggernaut0 said:
Then you guys are posting in the wrong topic.
This topic was about defining what we think makes a high level player, and most of the things have already been mentioned. Me and MKF just added that we appreciate high level players....who use low tiered characters very well, especially against higher tiered opponents. We did not say low tiered character users = makes a high level player....

If you personally disagree with our opinion or appreciation for low tiered character users, then so be it cuz this topic is a discussion like other ones and is open toward different perspectives.

X820

Noob
NoDoubtArion said:
This topic was about defining what we think makes a high level player, and most of the things have already been mentioned. Me and MKF just added that we appreciate high level players....who use low tiered characters very well, especially against higher tiered opponents. We did not say low tiered character users = makes a high level player....

If you personally disagree with our opinion or appreciation for low tiered character users, then so be it cuz this topic is a discussion like other ones and is open toward different perspectives.
Yeah, you.. Let it go, point made, you are repeating yourself again.

moving on....

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I've been thinking back and forth if I was going to join this discussion. The reason why I couldn't decide is because I have a tendency to speak what's on my mind and a lot of people don't usually like my bluntness. But I guess this time if you don't like it, you can get bent.

First of all, I would like to THANK HANZO for making this thread. Great introduction to us, I have mad respect for you and your crew. I still get shocks down my spine when I think back to the set we played online about a year ago. I hope to see more info from you soon.

As far as what I think defines a high level player, here goes nothing. (sorry if I regurgitate anything previously said)

- proper and quick cancelling for runjabs and special moves
- rarely to never drops a combo
- rarely to never misses an opportunity to punish
- takes advantage of many to all opportunities to anti-air and corner trap
- can take control of or maintain their own tempo of the game

And that's basically it. There are a lot of details to these points, much of my opinion leans more towards the ability to do as much damage as quickly as possible. That's of course a no brainer.

NoDoubtArion said:

Hmm...

MKF30 said:
if someone is versatile enough with most characters to compete with most of them if not all that's also a sign to me that they're a high level player or if someone can manage against higher tiers with a lower character(which is not easy to do) I consider that.
NoDoubtArion said:
completely agree
I didn't even quote you two when I made the statement. But please be more defensive for no reason, it's cute.

REO

Undead
high level sheeva > high level anything else.

kabal players and hsmoke players are cheap and boring.

McNasty

Moist.
Blocking, buffering, run jabbing, frame awareness, understanding a characters normals and how they react with other characters. Big damage combos and punishers are a must. The rest is up to reading your opponent and executing your own strategy.

BiohazardR30 said:
high level sheeva > high level anything else.

kabal players and hsmoke players are cheap and boring.
A Sheeva owning while she is in the corner is most impressive, especially if she's against Kabal.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
lol ok jugg I wasn't being defensive just wanted to establish what I meant buddy, but to add further more here ;)

I also think being unique(which we all are) and being effective with it is key :) I'm sure everyone will agree to that right? I mean if everyone played the exact same things would get a little dull and there would be no challenge or having to adapt to someones own, yet effective style.

Oh boy now this will turn into Kabal/H.smoke players vs. everyone else haha kidding..

I do think some variety is good though personally, that's all I'll say.

S

SuGaR

Get that ignorant shit out of here. There's no such thing as cheap in this game. Lose like a man, all of you.

MKK hanzo

Part 3!

Thx everybody for the feedback and their opinions. All are welcome. Dont worry about the off topics, I tend to do that a bit too, so its ok hehe.

Seems like the mid topic is about handling low tier chars. Well thats a big part of the high level play. One important thing about UMK3 and that all of you know it (and that is why we love it) is that almost the entire cast can compete-win even in uphill battles. BUT remember that TIER LIST exists and is there to remeber you that Kabal and h Smoke are there for somethin and that and Sheeva is dead last (IMO) for other stuff too.

Knowing oyur matchup and exploiting your rival character weakness is very important. Stuff like NW cant jump punch start combos on female ninjas is a character advantage on its own. Stryker avoiding some chars LP is an advantage of its own, etc.

As Scheisse said MKT Sheeva on the right hands can be a monster. here is a niiiice clip on an MKK tourney featuring no other than RZP (homo smoke) and Reinaldo, arguably the best Sheeva in my country. Its just sick even if you ban the corner inf is sick. Fast recovery HK FTW.

Or just doing what you gotta do. Basic punishing and rushing can do if your opponent is not well prepared or nervous. mileena vs Ermac is a hard battle for Mileena specially taking in account the damage output of both of them. 75% against 45% from an AA punch? Wow. (LOL at the AA dive kick with Mileena)

Shotouts to Dreamcatcher, ShaneyMC Grady, DC Hustle, Scheisse and CD who played a lot of GREAT macthes against me either XBL or NDS. Good times. And to Tim Static who just loves that Mileena match hehehehe and also all being good friends.

hey hanzo, i always called Robot Smoke Homo Smoke lol

man i wish everyone played like venezuelen's, it's completely different (better) style from us americanos.

i think high level ppl should know basic punishments like a blocked Kung Lao Spin and Ermac's TKS you can get a jump punch starter combo t0 max out ur Kombo. Marvirasta fucked me up every time i did the spin w/ Lao a while back when i played him last, hell it prolly in the video i made on u2b but not sure.

MKF30

RollTide8569 said:
hey hanzo, i always called Robot Smoke Homo Smoke lol

man i wish everyone played like venezuelen's, it's completely different (better) style from us americanos.

i think high level ppl should know basic punishments like a blocked Kung Lao Spin and Ermac's TKS you can get a jump punch starter combo t0 max out ur Kombo. Marvirasta fucked me up every time i did the spin w/ Lao a while back when i played him last, hell it prolly in the video i made on u2b but not sure.
Sweeps>>>>Kung Lao spin! Works everytime since someone can just cancel it into block :) It does WONDERS man plus whenever playing a good KL player, NEVER rush constantly lol...

MKK hanzo

MKF30 said:
Sweeps>>>>Kung Lao spin! Works everytime since someone can just cancel it into block :) It does WONDERS man plus whenever playing a good KL player, NEVER rush constantly lol...
You can perfectly if you cancel the LP with a tap BLK instead of RUN. Its called "option select" in terms of SF methodology. Same applies when rushing ANY charcter that has any inmediate special (Kabal Spin, NW SR, Kano ball, etc) and it works 100% of the time.

I can do a vid of it soon but I dont promise much. In fact it could be a short clip lie the 4 axes clip.

EDIT: There are other "option selects" in UMK3 that most ppl arent aware of. Some more risky then others. I really should do a vid of it . Nothing fancy just basic stuff and some character specific. Some of them are the stuff that MarvinRasta does. Its also a basic on the "Dominican" MK playstyle.

Its way easier in pad then stick though.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I'd love to see what option selects you know.

Lex told me a long time ago when we were playing on XBL of one with robot smoke against teleporting ninjas. When you run jab, ever time you run forward do it with f, f, lp and keep them tight. If the ninja teleports, your jab never comes out and you spear them before they hit the ground. I was never able to pull it off in that set of matches, but I know it works.

You can do similar things like with Kabal, run jab with f, f, lp~b+lk. If they teleport, the spin comes out. If they don't, the b+lk input simply cancels your jab like normal. This is strictly theory fighter, but it makes sense. I don't know if a ninja teleport would hit the spin or not. Seems solid.

A potentially dangerous one against teleporting ninjas is with Ermac, again theory fighter. Run jab with lp~fdf+hk. They teleport and eat a full naked tks combo! If anyone tries this, let me know if it works.

Simple option selects are like run jab with a low block (be careful with sonya lol) to stop sweeps while you advance.

Against Kitana fan lift, Sindel scream, Lao spin, up close...just do a lp~block and you will block it every time.

I'd like to know what you have hanzo.

X820

Noob
MKK Hanzo_H said:
You can perfectly if you cancel the LP with a tap BLK instead of RUN. Its called "option select" in terms of SF methodology. Same applies when rushing ANY charcter that has any inmediate special (Kabal Spin, NW SR, Kano ball, etc) and it works 100% of the time.

I can do a vid of it soon but I dont promise much. In fact it could be a short clip lie the 4 axes clip.

EDIT: There are other "option selects" in UMK3 that most ppl arent aware of. Some more risky then others. I really should do a vid of it . Nothing fancy just basic stuff and some character specific. Some of them are the stuff that MarvinRasta does. Its also a basic on the "Dominican" MK playstyle.

Sounds interesting :)

Lookign forward to it!

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MKK Hanzo_H said:

This is 100% correct. I never sweep Lao, you can still get spun in some instances where you would just do more damage with a karajab to combo instead.

MKK hanzo

Konqrr said:
I'd love to see what option selects you know.

Lex told me a long time ago when we were playing on XBL of one with robot smoke against teleporting ninjas. When you run jab, ever time you run forward do it with f, f, lp and keep them tight. If the ninja teleports, your jab never comes out and you spear them before they hit the ground. I was never able to pull it off in that set of matches, but I know it works.

You can do similar things like with Kabal, run jab with f, f, lp~b+lk. If they teleport, the spin comes out. If they don't, the b+lk input simply cancels your jab like normal. This is strictly theory fighter, but it makes sense. I don't know if a ninja teleport would hit the spin or not. Seems solid.

A potentially dangerous one against teleporting ninjas is with Ermac, again theory fighter. Run jab with lp~fdf+hk. They teleport and eat a full naked tks combo! If anyone tries this, let me know if it works.

Simple option selects are like run jab with a low block (be careful with sonya lol) to stop sweeps while you advance.

Against Kitana fan lift, Sindel scream, Lao spin, up close...just do a lp~block and you will block it every time.

I'd like to know what you have hanzo.
Konqrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hahaha you are spoiling the content of my vid!

Joking. Basically all that Lex told you is in fact true. You can buffer taps into your Lp rush and if the opp. tlpts out he will get catched with the spear, SR, spin dash, etc. mileena to some exent with the Dive Kick (in a vid I posted before) can do "run bursts" masking the FF taps and if the opp. jumps is a free dive in the head. Lao dive kick crossup into LK combo can get option selected too into sweep etc.

Its nothing nw that you dont know, just wanted to show the "technique" behind it. At leat on stick I do it on a particular way:

When I LP rush I ALWAYS HOLD RUN with my thumb finger and "piano like" tap LP with my index finger then BLK with my middle finger.

There is ppl that do it in an entire piano motion from RUN-LP-BLK in that fashion but I dont trust it that much.

In a pad obviously is far more easy if you have BLK on the shoulder buttons.

EDIT: There is a little vid in wich you can see my hands doing it but I want to do it more clearly.

EDIT 2: LOVE this match specially round 2, not even 1 combo in all the round. When a match is like that, down to the wire and ALMOST no mistakes you know that shit is for sure haha

There can be other options hat pay a lot if you can manage them like only opting for HP starter with NW and specially Lao when BOTH players run to each other or when YOU are on the defense of a rush LP player.

You can MASH HP while holding BLK+BACK (Lao case mash HP+LP) and if the priority in the round is yours you will get an almost free combo. I mention those 2 cause their HP starters seems to me that have less starting frames than Kabal for saying something.

Dreamcatcher said:
This is 100% correct. I never sweep Lao, you can still get spun in some instances where you would just do more damage with a karajab to combo instead.
100% true. I forgot to add that. I NEVER try to sweep Lao in his Hat Spin animation.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
MKK Hanzo_H said:
100% true. I forgot to add that. I NEVER try to sweep Lao in his Hat Spin animation.
I think that the only characters that can't safely sweep Lao during a spin are the female ninjas. But it's still better to kara jab block it for a full combo.

yea i'd much rather have a JPS Kombo than a stupid sweep ;)

can't wait for ur vid Hanzo

im gonna try to remember the f f lp trick, that could help me alot

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
uSub has one too, but I don't think it's very safe. Kind of a surprise move.

Run jab holding forward and hold LP~then add Block+LK. You get a slide if they teleport and if they don't the block+lk is close and makes an easy rhythm.

Konqrr said:
I think that the only characters that can safely sweep Lao during a spin are the female ninjas. But it's still better to kara jab block it for a full combo.
not quite necessarily true.

it's not just female ninjas, in fact i think you have it backwards.

female ninjas actually have a harder time sweeping the spin even in max range. i've performed this several times, to know that is true.

i believe they have a fatter hitbox when crouching to sweeping then let's say for example sonyas.

Nitrogoose said:
not quite necessarily true.

it's not just female ninjas, in fact i think you have it backwards.

female ninjas actually have a harder time sweeping the spin even in max range. i've performed this several times, to know that is true.

i believe they have a fatter hitbox when crouching to sweeping then let's say for example sonyas.
Yeah I think he had it backwards. Or maybe he meant "can't" instead.

MKF30

MKK Hanzo_H said:

Oh I'm more then aware of kara jabs, jabbing into block etc but that's not my game. I prefer to play it "safe" most of the time sweeping from arms length works fine for me or I can simply shoot a projectile which is a "have nothing to lose" situation, if they cancel and block it fine. Either way they have to stop spinning and block it/avoid it or B. they get caught....;) and I can get a full combo that way ;)

Or if I'm Sektor dude, they'll just eat 2 seekers and you watch how fast they stop spinning lol.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with things like Kung Lao's Spin.