What's new

What do you think about Comeback Mechanics?

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
I personally think there needs to be some mechanic given to defending players. It doesn't have to be like an anime episode where the main character gets beaten to a pulp but then unleashes a giant beam of energy that kills the strong villain in one shot. But it should give them some chance to get back on their feet.

What games do you think implement comeback mechanics very well? I think Killer Instinct does it well with the instinct mode because it gives specific characters specific tools that complement their traits. Although I would like to see some drawbacks and disadvantages that come with, such as Gargos having limited mobility for the price of becoming armored (unless they hit you with heavy attacks). Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Savior actually did this with some of their characters using Dark Force, such as giving some disadvantage for the price of amazing enhanced attributes. Lord Raptor (although being S+ tier) could not utilize his air mobility for the price of having a long ranged chainsaw that replaced all of his moves. At least the MK11 fatal blows make it one time use only per match so you dont want to just blow it away whenever you can.

Technically MK9 - MKX super meter works more like comeback because you gain more of it when you get hit. Offensive players can get it more by attacking opponents who block and doing specials but it generally favors the losing player. Xrays are not generally worth it which is common knowledge, posting this in a NRS based fighter forum.

Here are Daigo's thoughts about comeback mechanics and Street Fighter's way of using them. He says that the offensive player should be the only one gaining meter. To be honest, the reasoning behind that would make comebacks more epic and special. However I don't think I would want my opponent to get stronger if I'm losing health and defending myself. Imagine if your untouched opponent has everything like V trigger, instinct mode, Xray, 3 EX moves to combo you to death, level 3 supers, astral finish, all that other good stuff. That's pretty strong for the winning player to gain all that stuff. Even if the winning player has 3 ex moves or 1 super while the losing player barely has anything is kinda tough.

The way you gain the resources and the effect the mechanic has is what really matters.

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
the fatal blow mechanic in MK11 is a nice touch , but should it be limited for a "one-time only" use , regardless if you missed it or not .... that could make it FB being very good fit for comeback mechanic

I personally think there needs to be some mechanic given to defending players. It doesn't have to be like an anime episode where the main character gets beaten to a pulp but then unleashes a giant beam of energy that kills the strong villain in one shot. But it should give them some chance to get back on their feet.

What games do you think implement comeback mechanics very well? I think Killer Instinct does it well with the instinct mode because it gives specific characters specific tools that complement their traits. Although I would like to see some drawbacks and disadvantages that come with, such as Gargos having limited mobility for the price of becoming armored (unless they hit you with heavy attacks). Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Savior actually did this with some of their characters using Dark Force, such as giving some disadvantage for the price of amazing enhanced attributes. At least the MK11 fatal blows make it one time use only per match so you dont want to just blow it away whenever you can.

Technically MK9 - MKX super meter works more like comeback because you gain more of it when you get hit. Offensive players can get it more by attacking opponents who block and doing specials but it generally favors the losing player. Xrays are not generally worth it which is common knowledge, posting this in a NRS based fighter forum.

Here are Daigo's thoughts about comeback mechanics and Street Fighter's way of using them. He says that the offensive player should be the only one gaining meter. To be honest, the reasoning behind that would make comebacks more epic and special. However I don't think I would want my opponent to get stronger if I'm losing health and defending myself. Imagine if your untouched opponent has everything like V trigger, instinct mode, Xray, 3 EX moves to combo you to death, level 3 supers, astral finish, all that other good stuff. That's pretty strong for the winning player to gain all that stuff. Even if the winning player has 3 ex moves or 1 super while the losing player barely has anything is kinda tough.

The way you gain the resources and the effect the mechanic has is what really matters.
I'm a simple man I see daigo on a post and I upvote. Btw, EVERYTHING Daigo says is the truth. Daigo number 1!!!

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
the fatal blow mechanic in MK11 is a nice touch , but should it be limited for a "one-time only" use , regardless if you missed it or not .... that could make it FB being very good fit for comeback mechanic
That would be interesting. Now if you are in a position where you really need to use it, you are now thinking about making it count rather than to mash it and believe you have another chance. The stakes are higher now.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
That would be interesting. Now if you are in a position where you really need to use it, you are now thinking about making it count rather than to mash it and believe you have another chance. The stakes are higher now.
yep, make FB an universal value of 33% damage for all characters, and make it one time use .... this will make people use it much more strategically .... the way it is, is a braindead tool, that change all the pace of the match and round once it's active, make things turn into a boring mind guess games .... anyway, it's a polemic subject already discussed and shown off in anothers threads .... my 2 cents then, hehe :p