What's new

What do you lot think of the sound design in MK11?

So the more streams and uTubes I have been watching the more I have started to think that the sound design is a big step backwards from MK11. Now I get it is early and I am watching vods but listen to the 1st match of this..

It isn't just this video.. it is all of them.

The characters spend so much time grunting and screeming that the over all "soundscape" of the game is just a constant grunting. Maybe there will be sound setting so you can mix it as you like but often you can hardly hear the punches.. it is just I dunno... messy sounding. Like it is all flat, one constant noise.. rather than pits of silence and loud punch noises and crying when something hard happens. MK11 feels like a blanket of sound all one constant level.

Compare that to the crisp sounds of MKx.

All the punching and screaming is still there but it doesn't "blend" into a big muddy mesh of sound. I dunno.. I am not an audiophile so I am not sure how to describe this.

I just spend a lot of time thinking that I would rather hear more punching noises and sound effects and a lot less "arrr, ow.. urrg" noises or something.

Anyone else feel this and able to explain it better? Or do I need to buy new speakers? lol
Not to be that guy but...is mostly everything you start a thread on is about you complaining about petty things about mk11? First it you didnt like them saying fatality first then you didnt like the finish him freeze frame, now this? Lol I think you might want to sit this MK out since its giving you such a headache

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
To each their own I guess, but do you honestly think that your two songs come even close to something like this:

I personally don't. If you ask me, then whoever is picking the music for the character reveal trailers at NRS should get a promotion and become their main music guy.
Mick gordon was to K.I what Nathan Griggs is for MK 11
Just as Robin Beanland and Greame Norgate are K.I icons Same is Dan Forden and Rich Carle for MK in general.

To what Nathan is doing it fits MK Standards and it cannot be compared to anything else, MK has its own signature in music, and Nathan is doing an amazing Job, this is just my favorite piece of him so far, but you will be hearing a lot more from him, because he has been on a drive lately and according to Dan he pieced a lot of songs for MK 11.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Not to be that guy but...is mostly everything you start a thread on is about you complaining about petty things about mk11? First it you didnt like them saying fatality first then you didnt like the finish him freeze frame, now this? Lol I think you might want to sit this MK out since its giving you such a headache
what rubbish. I'm actually very positive about MK11. I have started exactly one thread to discuss the sound design, and I did comment on a thread already pages deep. So basically 2 negative posts in the entire life of MK so far.

I think there is such a thing as being to negative. Criticism, especially aggressive criticism is fun to write and to read (for some people). Sometimes it feels as if there is nothing ut hate in the community for anything, but very few people make posts like "I love this".. it is just how people communicate.. we tend to comment on things that annoy us and not comment when things are going good, apart from supporting in a "bad' thread.

Even so, just as someone is a fan of the game and loves it, like I love MK11, I am not a "fanboy" completely afraid to make any critical comment of any kind. NRS is very vocal about listening to reasonable criticism from its fans. There is a big difference between hating on something and going, well this is something I do not like that much.

Loving everything with no conditions is being a fanboy, but I am just a fan. Still, two posts in all this time that are not positive... pretty crazy to call me out on that imo.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Mick and Nathan can't be compared at all. MK11's music isn't bad at all, it's just boring. KI's music is still bomb workout music to this day.

JagoMIH

Noob
I like the sound and music. The menu theme sounds like it has bits of the MK1 and MK2 character select music. Black Dragon Fight Klub is great. Kabal's voice acting and dialouge is badass. Noticed one small thing that I hope could be fixed:

When Jade wins, she says her victory quote then immediately after says "too easy" and she says it too quickly after her win quote like she's interrupting herself. There should be a longer pause in between.

Last edited:

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
preference, i think ki music is boring

In all seriousness though I think special forces stage music is solid but I still miss dan fordens touch

I think others have mentied it but going back and forth to mkx there’s a meaty “punch” (pun intended) to the over all sound fx that at the moment I havnt heard..I mean it is a beta weeks away from launch but I do wish some of the in game sounds were beefier..

And also still no toasty 2 games in a row nrs..?

OBS|KH Rattlehead

real life Kenshi of the MK community.
As a game with sound only guy, I can safely tell you that they are using a lot of Injustice 2 sounds. The hits and when characters are knocked down are the exact same sounding audio files. Also notice how the announcer is really loud in the default settings. The music and character sounds are leveled, but the announcer really stands out. There is more I can point out, but those are just some examples.

The hit effects sound the same, the bone krunching is still there (hear Scorpion's D3). The weapon effects are great. The music is leagues better than MKX, although I still wish it had more melody.

There are some level issues in the demo. Music is too low, announcer is too loud, voice is too low, some effects are too loud. Hopefully it's balanced better.

I also think there are some sound mixing issues where sounds drown each other out, which brings me back to the hit effects. While I did say they are the same, there are these new / more pronounced squishy blood squirting sounds (hear Scorpion's D2) and it drowns out the bass of the hits you used to hear in MKX.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

In all seriousness though I think special forces stage music is solid but I still miss dan fordens touch

I think others have mentied it but going back and forth to mkx there’s a meaty “punch” (pun intended) to the over all sound fx that at the moment I havnt heard..I mean it is a beta weeks away from launch but I do wish some of the in game sounds were beefier..

And also still no toasty 2 games in a row nrs..?
I understand what you mean, i'm pretty sure Dan has its own reasons to not compose music for the games currently since he focus is redirected to other things now.

I Think they do this since MKDA until they find someone that sticks they will continue to make auditions with new composers every game until someone gets the sinergy they need for a full band.

I remember Rich Carle and Vince Portanelli audited in MKDA and they went along really well that ended up composing for 3 games straight, for some reason after this Vince Stepped out, and Rich became regular, they both worked since MK vs DC until MKX on their own, and since Injustice 2 they're auditing again.
In MK11 I think Nathan came from COD or something, but it seems he is doing great so lets just wait to hear what he has to say, i don't really judge books by its cover.

To me, MK music has a few ingredients in either is techno or Metal, and anything outside of that feels a bit weird, its something Dan has already pattented through the series as it went so its kinda hard to unhear it.

Those elements usually are:
Gritty atmosphere on songs (To give a sort of horror feeling)
Asian feel, either melodic or drums
techno or metal mixed with all above
African tradicional ethnic style of drums

Its easier to understand checking some of his music references
MK1 (Temple Gate, Throne Room)
MK2 (Deadpool, The Tomb)
MK3(Graveyard)
The entire MK Mythology Soundtrack
The entire MKDA/MKD/MKA soundtracks

So apparently the music may change according to what's bumping in a certain Era, right now we have music with cinematic feels like MCU and stuff, but to me MK has really found their blueprint with MK Mythology ad MK3D era, the music from those games style its something i think MK franchise should always trive to achieve.

With Nathan entry we don't exactly get the Mythology neither the Cinematic feels, something like in between so i'm curious to hear what he will bring.