What's new

What do you lot think of the sound design in MK11?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
So the more streams and uTubes I have been watching the more I have started to think that the sound design is a big step backwards from MK11. Now I get it is early and I am watching vods but listen to the 1st match of this..

It isn't just this video.. it is all of them.

The characters spend so much time grunting and screeming that the over all "soundscape" of the game is just a constant grunting. Maybe there will be sound setting so you can mix it as you like but often you can hardly hear the punches.. it is just I dunno... messy sounding. Like it is all flat, one constant noise.. rather than pits of silence and loud punch noises and crying when something hard happens. MK11 feels like a blanket of sound all one constant level.

Compare that to the crisp sounds of MKx.

All the punching and screaming is still there but it doesn't "blend" into a big muddy mesh of sound. I dunno.. I am not an audiophile so I am not sure how to describe this.

I just spend a lot of time thinking that I would rather hear more punching noises and sound effects and a lot less "arrr, ow.. urrg" noises or something.

Anyone else feel this and able to explain it better? Or do I need to buy new speakers? lol

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Sounds fine to me. There's also no stage music playing in the MKX video so it's hard to compare when you have that going on too. When I play I don't even really pay attention to the audio though cause I'm usually listening to my own music. (Even though the music for MK11 is really damn good so far. Props to whoever's making it because they stepped up this game)

Last edited:

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Yeah, I'm not an audio guy either, but I think I see what you mean. I just played through a few tower matches with the music turned off to have a better comparison to the Mkx video, and the blows overall have a much meatier, more bass-y 'thwack' to them. I don't think that's objectively worse in and of itself, but i'm pretty sure I know why it sounds so different compared to Mkx.

I think the key difference is that in Mkx, the punches and kicks were all accompanied by what sounded like bones breaking under the impact. It's subtle, but it gave the attacks a nice, sharp 'oomph to help it stand out above everything else. I don't hear that same crunch in MK11's combat, at least not with the same emphasis, so that'd explain the muddy feeling to the sound; there doesn't seem to be as much to help elevate it over the rest of the noise. Even the footsteps sounded sharper and more distinct back in Mkx. MK11 actually reminds me a lot of Injustice 2's sound design, and I wasn't a fan of that either for similar reasons.

It's a matter of personal preference, and I'm sure NRS has their reasons, but it's definitely not a speaker problem lol.

As a game audio guy, I definitely agree. MK11 audio so far is ass. MKX has the best sound design out of all MK games. Lets hope these sounds in the beta were placeholders or work-in-progress sounds. As for the music.... well all MK games have bad soundtracks in my opinion.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I actually like the sound design in MK11. The weapons sound amazing. The fighting itself is good enough. The music on the other hand... could be better. It's not bad music, but it doesn't stand out like it does in a Capcom fighter. Or in Tekken. Or in Guilty Gear. I want music that gets me fucking pumped and gets me fucking going. In NRS games I need to focus to perceive the music in the first place.

And that's a complaint I read quite often from players. Not sure why NRS doesn't adress that. Or at least gives a little bit more hype music in general. Just hire Mick Gordon, who did the soundtracks for Doom and Killer Instinct. Imagine Mortal Kombat with Killer Instinct music. Oh mah gawd.

Last edited:

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Yeah MK's music has always been butt-trash. At best Mortal Kombat's music can be mildly catchy. But it's F tier in comparison to any other major fighting game.

Queen Sindel

Divine Enlightenment
MK11 audio might not be that legendary as it was in MK2-4, but its still immersive and great and fits perfect Mortal Kombat spirit. And i like it.

Menu theme could be better in my scrubs opinion, but again, audios in this game is great!

...as long we wont have rap in the game its fine with me....

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
What? MK1-2-3 had amazing music, and MK4 was the highest point in the franchise regarding music. From then on, I agree, it has been mostly disappointing. But it wasn't always like that.
Guile theme, King theme, Ken theme, Jin theme, cvs2 London, those are amazing tracks. MK's best music can't even touch that of its rivals.

There's a reason every single youtuber who makes a video on MK uses the Reptile movie theme.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
What? MK1-2-3 had amazing music, and MK4 was the highest point in the franchise regarding music. From then on, I agree, it has been mostly disappointing. But it wasn't always like that.
This. And the Sega port for MK1 had a better soundtrack than the arcade, I think. I’ll still actually put the MK1 soundtrack on from time to time. And the MK3 cathedral music...boner.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Sounds are amazing, also Kabal' second fatality that sound when he puts the hook swords in your mouth kind makes me cringe a little. lol Like it just sounds painful....

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Nathan Griggs is doing an amazing job as composer
To each their own I guess, but do you honestly think that your two songs come even close to something like this:

I personally don't. If you ask me, then whoever is picking the music for the character reveal trailers at NRS should get a promotion and become their main music guy.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Spent a while comparing the last few & MK11 is so much better its not much or a contest sfx wise. The difference between hits, blocks, weapons or body is immediately apparent even in its variants. The voices are a little turned down & muffled if your character is wearing a mask which is cool but overall the effects may be too much, gotta say it depends a lot on setting. In surround sound it is much better balenced.
Music wise it's all preference, personally I never liked much music in fighting games, don't think anything from street fighter or tekken was any good, Menu music is usually so damn annoying after 2 days. I think KI uses music enough to make it fit good & I do like that soundtrack. MK11 so far I like, its not annoying & its mostly background the best so far is Black dragon club & it makes sense music would be more prevalent there. I mkstly don't use or notice in game music after a week anyway though.

They really need to add a sound when a match is found. I'll be searching for a while with the spinner going so I look at my phone for a bit only to look up and see that an opponent has been waiting there for a while.