What do you do when you realize you gravitate towards low tier characters?

Discussion in 'Komedy Central' started by HellblazerHawkman, Jul 10, 2018.

1. HellblazerHawkman

HellblazerHawkman Confused Thanagarian
    News Editor

So I was kind of making a list of my mains across the games I play and I noticed a trend:

MXK: Venomous D'vorrah (no other variation)
    Injustice 2: Black Canary and Enchantress
    BlazBlue proper: Noel
    BlazBlue Cross-Tag: Noel and Yukiko
    DBZF: Krillin and Frieza
    Marvel 3: X-23
    UNIEL: Enkidu

The characters I typically play end up being low tier. The highest tiers I ever played were Elphelt (Guilty Gear) and Hawkgirl (IGAU) and they are Upper Mid at best. What can I do to fix this? Plz halp. I'm tired of always struggling and hating the games I'm playing at a given moment

Second Saint and JBeezYBabY like this.
  2. The_Tile

The_Tile Just a sip, and an overhead, and a low, yeah.

(EDIT: LOL MOPPED BY THE FILTER!)

Killl youurself

(EDIT: LOOOL I MOPPED THE FILTER #FUCKTHESYSTEM)

Icefyre, God Confirm, Cursa and 4 others like this.
  3. Braindead

Braindead High-functioning Scrub

4. JBeezYBabY

JBeezYBabY Mr. Righteous

I mean, its good to realize who top tier characters are, BUT don't play them just because they are top tier because you will still not enjoy the game as intended. I tend to go towards the same type of low tier characters i guess. But its 1) instinct and 2) a challenge. At least for me.

When EVERYBODY plays the same characters over and over and over, the shit is not fun for me. So i always try to be different and make it fun for myself. Whoever tickles your fancy. And if ur not having fun, move on to the next. Its that simple.

Sazbak and HellblazerHawkman like this.
  5. Ram

Ram You can't fight physics

PSN:
    Ramarix
    Here's another way of thinking about things that may help...

By putting characters into tiers, you are effectively making excuses for yourself. "I'm only losing because my character is low tier", "the only reason this guy is beating me is because his character is high tier", etc etc.

Just pick a character(s) that you believe you will succeed with and roll with it. In my case, I can only succeed with a character if I like them and have fun playing with them. That may or may not be the case for you, but make a choice and make it work and don't worry about "tiers".

Espio, Yoaks, Roy Arkon and 3 others like this.
  6. Second Saint

Second Saint A man with too many names.

Steam:
    Coin Flip
    As a fellow Venomous main, that at least also had Brood Mother, I feel your pain. It's also been Harley for every Injustice game.

Why do we do this to ourselves?

HellblazerHawkman likes this.
  7. HellblazerHawkman

News Editor

See, that's what I do. I just pick characters that I have fun with, but once tier lists start rolling it, it turns out I was playing a bad character. Then people start figuring out why these characters are bad, then I start struggling a million times more later in the game's life. Cross Tag is fine, because I've been playing Noel since I got into the FGC, but it's also part of the reason why I don't play I2 anymore

8. Ram

PSN:
    Ramarix
    My point is that in my opinion, there are no bad characters. It all comes down to the player using the character which determines success.

People can learn how to counter the tools of a character you use, sure. But then it's up to you as a player to overcome that (i.e., don't blame the character for your losses).

EDIT: my advice regarding tier lists is to have a look at them for fun/interest, but that's it. You don't have to treat them like they are some godly text which gives the secret to success.

P.S. I don't mean to single you out Hawkman, what I'm saying here are my feelings regarding tiers and tier lists in general for everyone's sake.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  9. Marlow

Marlow Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Is Black Canary even really that low of a tier? For some reason I thought she was closer to mid tier than low tier. I haven't paid much attention to the character though, so truly I have no idea.

I'd say try an established top tier character for a month and see how it feels.

10. VSC_Supreme

VSC_Supreme The Anti-Nerf Equation will be mine.

Get really good at your low tiers and be one of those people whose known to be great with a low tier but never makes it past top 8.

Or learn the "strengths" to playing a low tier. I mained X-23 in UMvC3 as well and was able to win a lot of matches thanks to her. Nobody knew the match up in my favor lol

Icefyre and Cursa like this.
  11. Second Saint

Steam:
    Coin Flip
    Y'know, I never played MvC3, but I always thought I'd use X-23 if I did. Was she that bad? I thought she was supposed to be a good anchor with the Dirt Nap setups. There was even that one guy I can't remember the name of who had his whole team designed around them and if he got one combo started, he would infinite your whole team with ironman, hold them in place with Dante's assist, Dirt Nap unblockable, rinse and repeat til dead.

I nearly shed a tear the first time I saw that. It was just so beautiful, man.

12. HellblazerHawkman

News Editor

X-23 probably wasn't even that bad, it's just that Wolverine was better. I also was just SUPER casual in Marvel, so take any opinions I have there with a grain of salt.

As for Black Canary, she'd be fine in a game that wasn't an NRS title. Ignoring the fact you can just pick Aquaman and keep her out forever, she has to work super hard to get in on anyone with a projectile. It's just another scenario where the character has to work harder than a good chunk of the cast to do the same things.

In general though, it's really game dependent. Yeah, Noel is "low-tier" but I've been playing her for 6-7 years, so I know the character better than most people know their flavor of the month. Yukiko is the real problem on that team, but I'll be picking up Yuzuriha as a 3rd when she drops. This was mainly just a funny trend I noticed in my mains, it's like I subconsciously reach out to failure

13. dribirut

dribirut BLAK FELOW

I understand you picking a low tier some of the time but when people pick low tiers alllllllll of the time IMO, you are subconsciously picking them as an os to losing and also with the slight hope you will be best with that character since a low tier will be underrepresented.. who knows

14. Roy Arkon

Roy Arkon Noob

PSN:
    RoyArkon46
    My take on this is that you don't need to put that much emphasis on the tier lists. If you like the character enough as a character and/or like that char's playstyle that much that you can play that char so well, then tier lists and/or character overall streatgh doesn't have that much of importance. Of course if a char happens to be one of the better ones in a game then by all means, but if you take out the character itself as a char or even it's playstyle out of the equation (although that's less likely to happen as probably there will be a top tier char that fits your playstyle well) and go for the top tier ones just to get the easy win then all you do is lying to yourself, and you won't enjoy the game or the char as much. You need to actually have a connection with your character, not to use as what the Capcom PR guys said back then for MVCI, "just functions".

The only time I think you could've change your char is in case that you just can't play that char either because of playstyle or level of exection. If it's not comfortable to you, then you need to change chars, adn even then, go with what you would like more in terms of char and playstyle, don't think about tier lists and char's strength.

So just go with that you make a connection with. Hope that it helps :)

15. Second Saint

Steam:
    Coin Flip
    Seems odd to me that so many people are saying that OP should just pick the character he likes and stick with it when that's his whole problem. It seriously gets frustrating after awhile when you're dealing with mostly bad matchups. Yeah, you can adapt, overcome, specialize, lab, whatever, but at the end of the day, there's only so much of that you can do while remaining competitive. Case in point: even Honeybee has a secondary these days.

That'd be my advice. Pick up a secondary that covers a good spread of matchups, specifically your characters worst ones.

16. Ram

PSN:
    Ramarix
    And I agree with that. I never said don't pick up other characters, I just said don't worry about "is this character good/bad"

Roy Arkon and Second Saint like this.
  17. HellblazerHawkman

News Editor

Yeah, I need to get it more in my head that I should probably just roll with 2 characters in the next NRS game. I doubt D'vorrah (who I'll be playing when she returns) will be bad, but I tend to get burned by not learning another character too late. Like, if I picked up maybe Cheetah (who I was eyeing and never thought was THAT bad) I might have stuck with I2 longer than I did

18. Wigy

Wigy There it is...

Non top tier is usually the most fun.

19. Skedar70

Skedar70 Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

I've been playing "Low tiers" also. I just pick characters based on if I believe they have a cool and unique design. I usually don't care if they are good or not. If they are actually bad, developers usually patch the game and boost them or tone down the other ones.

Once you get good with a character you notice that tiers don't matter and it is actually how good you play that decides your games.

I've been playing lots of Raph lately (his my favorite turtle) and although I do believe he is the worse character in the game I have started winning a lot with him. I believe its probably because of all the loses I had with him since day one I have learned to play matches better and what works and what doesn't.

Just stick to whoever you like. These tier list are subjective af.

looneyloopz likes this.
  20. Roy Arkon

Roy Arkon Noob

PSN:
    RoyArkon46
    Same as @Ram , I never said that @HellblazerHawkman shouldn't pick more then one char. If he feels that he should pick more then one then by all means. All I said is that he should pick the ones he likes the most and not put too much emphasis on Tiers and char's strengths.

Very true.

Ram likes this.
  21. methademic

methademic UPR Methademic
    Premium Supporter

22. Second Saint

Steam:
    Coin Flip
    And all I am saying is that is exactly what he did in the first place. He's picked characters regardless of tier, purely based on his own personal preferred criteria. Said chosen characters have regularly proven long term to be sub-par, which has lead to understandable frustration. As such, the advice you are giving is not advice so much as essentially telling him to not let the exact thing he's doing bother him so much. That's not helpful to the situation of "I am bothered by how often I have to fight uphill."

23. Ram

PSN:
    Ramarix
    In that case I don't really know what kind of advice to give, sorry Hawkman :/
    Just keep grinding I guess!

24. Roy Arkon

Roy Arkon Noob

PSN:
    RoyArkon46
    Well I guess I can't help either.

@HellblazerHawkman I'm sorry as well if that's the case.

25. Marlow

Marlow Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

I guess if your criteria leads to picking low tier characters, either find a way to change your criteria or keep grinding.