What's new

Question What do you do in the first few moments of a match to gauge your opponent's mind set?

I'll get them to respect my pressure with true blockstrings and checking people in frame traps and when they start to respect me I'll loosen up and go for more complicated/gimmicky things
this is also solid advise. Play as safe as possible. So they learn not to mash buttons/can't find openings. Once you have life lead, you can play high risk high reward.... or if you are about to lose..... then you play high risk high reward..... You can play 'defensive' and still be on the 'offense'

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
(Quote from entropic design) I dont do anything.. I backdash or back up. I play defensive (end quote)
Don't do this (though, watch out for fast starting hits) the first hit matters. And a good offense it the best defense.
I don't think it's bad advise at all, it's not like backing up will mean you're automatically getting hit or will be in a worse situation. Your opponent could just as well overextend and get punished for it.
Just blocking is a great way to scout out player habits

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
As a joker player I completely disrespect the opponent, regardless of the character, unless they know the MU. If they do, I assess who the character is, what they have and how I can keep myself as random as possible to stay effective and stray from patterns. If I have to play defensive, try my best to read my opponents movement.