What's new

Question What do you do in the first few moments of a match to gauge your opponent's mind set?

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
You're playing an opponent you've never played before, and you need to quickly assess what kind of player they are and what weaknesses in their game you can exploit. What do you do?

This is an area that I personally struggle with, and I'm hoping to get some insight because I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a hard time adapting quickly in a FT2 or FT3 situation.

As an example, I'll try to frame trap an opponent as early as possible to see if they respect plus frames or not. I'll also jump at them early in a match to test their reactions/anti-airs. These two things are helpful to know at a lower level of competitive play, but at the top player level, certain things are implied. So, as supplement to some of the base level things I should already be implementing, what are some deeper level tests or traps I can use at the beginning of a set?

Thanks

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Honestly, if I have ZERO read on the guy/girl going in and they could be anything from an utter newb to a skilled player, I dont do anything.. I backdash or back up. I play defensive for a bit and see what they'ye doing,, then I do exactly what you mentioned, and when I go get some offense going, I try to see what they'll do with plus frames.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Interesting thread. I just do my best to start my gameplan right off the bat because it's what I think works best on every character. I don't underestimate anyone. So if I'm playing against a bane I wanna runaway from the start. I go from there. I see how they get through the zoning now. If they try to charge at me all game and blow through venom like it's nothing then I know he's not patient at all and I'll probably win, or if he is patient then I know what to switch up to keep him on his toes.

Aside from the first few moments though I try to find something that's difficult to deal with that I know you have to have labbed to beat it. For me as a Batman players it's B112 in the corner. Essentially on block I can just loop this on most characters if you haven't labbed this and figured out a way to beat it

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I'll do one of two things, depending on the character I'm facing.

If I want to run away I either walk back or back dash. This gives you time to anti air or trip guard a jump and whiff punish a normal then you go from there.

If I want to be aggressive ill just start off with my best advancing normal, as long as it's safe. With Firestorm for example ill start with his B2 cause it reaches from the start of the game, is safe and catches jumps. With Supes ill use D+F3 (lol jokes F2) for the same reasons

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
That's a really good question, but also really difficult to answer. It all really depends on the character matchup for me. But I always want that meter for landing the first hit. If I'm playing a character with great normals, I'll go for it. That being said, if I'm using the same character and the opponent is playing someone with slow, non-advancing normals I guess. Are they smart enough to know I'll beat them out and just block, allowing me to dash in and throw, or are they stubborn and going to try to beat me out anyways? Regardless of whether or not I guessed correctly and got the meter, I now know whether or not they know their frames.

From there, I never intentionally let them get their game started in an attempt to size them up. Acting is always better than reacting.

MadeFromMetal

Interesting thread. I just do my best to start my gameplay right off the bat because it's what I think works best on every character. I don't underestimate anyone. So if I'm playing against a bane I wanna runaway from the start. I go from there. I see how they get through the zoning now. If they try to charge at me all game and blow through venom like it's nothing then I know he's not patient at all and I'll probably win, or if he is patient then I know what to switch up to keep him on his toes.

Aside from the first few moments though I try to find something that's difficult to deal with that I know you have to have labbed to beat it. For me as a Batman players it's B112 in the corner. Essentially on block I can just loop this on most characters if you haven't labbed this and figured out a way to beat it
I like this a lot; especially in Injustice where random armor isn't as prevalent as MKX. Having something safe and abusable is one of the criteria that people use to explain their position of certain characters on the tier list, so it makes sense to test someone's knowledge of it just in case they don't know.

MadeFromMetal

I try to see if they're a maniac, as an Aquaman main I'll just walk back and see if they jump and if they do I know it's about to be fun.
If you don't mind, can you expand on this? Are you always ready with an anti air? Do you play defensive minded first and rely on your opponent hanging themselves?

Varies depending on what character I'm fighting and what character I'm playing. Scarecrow I almost always d2 at the beginning. If they get hit, next round I do a sweep (unless I truly read them as not that smart). Bane it's d1, Grodd it's secret sweep/d2 etc... BUT (back to Scarecrow) if I'm fighting say Bladam or Supes I'm more careful of f12 and f23 since both beat my d2. So then I block. This line of thought also applies to archetypes for me like if I'm fighting a comer like Deadshot, I usually go for a sweep more often than d2.

Last edited:

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
I generally try to backdash and go into b22 rmc with flash. Or through out a few rms cancels to see how they react. From there I either D12 or F21 depending on their reaction.

PharaohLite

Run Cancels Breh
check if they are capable of blocking the cross-up f3 from GL or delayed wakeup, and change future setups accordingly

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If you don't mind, can you expand on this? Are you always ready with an anti air? Do you play defensive minded first and rely on your opponent hanging themselves?
Defensive minded first and see if they will hang themselves. I'll walk back and be ready to D2, or whiff punish with B123. If they're willing to hang themself then I'll let them. If they hang back(which they will probably want to if they just ate 350 from a D2), I'll start zoning to build meter then start my trident rush offense when they go in.

But my first plan is to always determine how antsy and impatient they are or aren't.

Edit: unless it's a matchup like Ivy or Deadshot where I feel like I need an early life lead and the first hit meter, the I go in

Last edited:
Usually I do some risky shit if I know the players are decent. Keeps them on their toes, usually the best players get away with too much because of all the respect they get. Bad players or players im not sure about i play defensively

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I usually do an instant b3 to test if they're tym members that read fifty upplay threads about scarecrow d2 reaching from round start and they jump back.

So they eat the b3 into a bazillion % then i teabag.

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
I just try to get into my character's optimal range immediately and try to establish my game early on. I'll get them to respect my pressure with true blockstrings and checking people in frame traps and when they start to respect me I'll loosen up and go for more complicated/gimmicky things

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
As Atro I do F1. It beats anything except jump back or walk back. I'll also usually throw out F2 puddle to see if they fall for it. It usually takes me a few games to really figure people out though.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Well im not a good player so what I say here holds little weight but if I know nothing or the player, I kind of play based on the character. So if im fighting Deadshot or Fate ill start off a bit aggressive, trying to prevent them from getting space to do their stuff, or f its a rushdown character ill just back up a bit and throw out some things/test the waters etc.

Or if im fighting Flash I submit to the ass beating im about to get because for some reason I can't beat Flash.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
Varies depending on what character I'm fighting and what character I'm playing. Scarecrow I almost always d2 at the beginning. If they get hit, next round I do a sweep (unless I truly read them as not that smart). Bane it's d1, Grodd it's secret sweep/d2 etc... BUT (back to Scarecrow) if I'm fighting say Bladam or Supes I'm more careful of f12 and f23 since both beat my d2. So then I block. This line of thought also applies to archetypes for me like if I'm fighting a comer like Deadshot, I usually go for a sweep more often than d2.
D2 as Scarecrow beats Black Adam's F12 every time when starting a game. His F1 is a high that Scarecrow easily beats out with his D2 before the Mid 2 comes out of that string.

Bladam F12 = 13 frame start-up
Scarecrow D2 = 11 frame start-up

As an example, I'll try to frame trap an opponent as early as possible to see if they respect plus frames or not. I'll also jump at them early in a match
This is good and bad. I love frame traps. But random jump ins will get blown up, and you will tell just from playing footsies if they are good....... says the blue beetle player....... irony

I dont do anything.. I backdash or back up. I play defensive
Don't do this (though, watch out for fast starting hits) the first hit matters. And a good offense it the best defense.

I kind of play based on the character. So if im
Yeah, a lot of it comes down to MU. some characters have great openers. learn to expect those. But if you are playing a character where your advantage is close footsies, or say range, do that! do whats good all the time, and adapt from there to the player.

Aside from the first few moments though I try to find something that's difficult to deal with that I know you have to have labbed to beat it.
yeah, make THEM adapt. And when they learn that they HAVE to do something in a certain situation, then you can easily make a read on them doing it..... if they can adapt that is...... also tourneys are exhausting..... Save your brains for a good fight in the tournament. If you can stick them in the corner, or space them the whole game, you should do so.