What's new

What Do You Consider Toxic In Fighting Games?

What Do You Consider Toxic In Fighting Games?

• Hitting opponent's dead body after round end

• Taunting

• Teabagging

• All of the above

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Good golly Ms Molly got another GOLD one to share from Reddit LOL

All of the above.

If I were to do any of these things in any other competitive setting, I would be rightly regarded as an asshole. There are elements of them that are acceptable - like pregame taunting at a MMA fight - but fundamentally these things convey a lack of respect for your opponent and the time both of you are putting into the game. You can say that the mind games are a part of the larger game, but I’d be irritated if someone teabagged empty air in real life after a match. They’re free to do it, but they’re still an asshole.

If your goal is levity or to bring more fun to the game, why not just message the opponent after and congratulate them for playing well, or constructively say you enjoyed a part of the fight? Why would you choose a method that makes it completely impossible for the opponent to understand your message - I’m teabagging so don’t take this seriously; lighten up! - when you can just tell them what you mean later?

If your goal is to motivate a player to play better, why not do it in a way that builds them as a player rather than just irritating them? Counter their predictable moves in ways that make it clear you’re reading them, for example. Show them this is an opportunity to learn, not just to lose.

If your goal is to demoralize, then fine. You’re “just taking every advantage.” But you’re an asshole. You’re free to choose to be an asshole. Maybe it’s fun for you. But you’re still an asshole in the same way a fighter who rubbed his balls on a picture of your face IRL after a match would also be considered an asshole. Some people say “that’s just the culture,” as if culture is some monolithic unchanging thing. Culture is made up of behaviors. You can change yours.

Any constructive goal you want to complete by being toxic can be achieved through less toxic means. If you choose to be toxic, then you should know you’re doing it because you feel like it, not because it actually uniquely accomplishes any constructive goal. And nobody has any obligation to play with you if they feel they aren’t gaining anything from the experience.

Where to even fucking start...?Question mark?
Soft.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
I think it's kinda a dick move to tbag beginners if they are trying to get better(unless you know them well). Especially if they are trying to get better.

Funny thing is i deal with hate/racism better than hovering over rematch lmao. That shit is irritating when you dont have alot of time to play.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
None of the above. They are more amusing or more insulting only in context. When playing with my buddies in local VS we laugh if someone actually does it and make them pay for it later. What's truly TOXIC in ANY game? Online gamers and the way they think it's ok to act because they believe themselves shielded by anonominity.

Vagrant

Noob
Vagrant you're alive! I thought you replaced your password with the random 8,000 digit random character string so you couldn't return
I did. Unfortunately you can just reset your password. Quitting smoking proved to be easier than quitting TYM.

Must be all the great discussion...

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Take more frigid than SZ nipples: toxicity is usually a lot more out of the game than in. Being called a racial epithet in a PSN message afterwards, for example. Or spending more than one minute listening to random online guy give his opinion about women.

smaddy

I'm your huckleberry
It’s probably because I’m an old fart but I really dislike taunting and teabagging. I’m from the arcade days so you were not doing that shit unless you were looking for an ass beating or if you just happened to be a huge motherfucker and invited conflict. Win/play like the guy is standing right next to you IMO. Don’t let the shield of internet anonymity give you false bravado, win OR lose. Be respectful. But that’s just and old dogs view.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I did. Unfortunately you can just reset your password. Quitting smoking proved to be easier than quitting TYM.

Must be all the great discussion...
I was trying to make a Tym/smoking/cancer joke but I couldn't put it together, maybe somebody more clever than me can make it happen

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think "beef" and "trash talk" is a fun and enjoyable experience for both the players and the viewers. There is a reason that Boxing and other sports or combat sports have had the "press conferences" where they get in each others faces. There is a reason WWF mimics all that in their soap opera parodies. People love it and it is good for the game.

In short this is the Generation of the Offended. IMO, people need to harden the fuck up and stop acting like victims. Who gives a shit if your tea bagged or w.e.

That being said the recent Tweedy / Chris.G beef did nothing for nobody. There is a difference between beef and obnoxious behavior that damages the entire scene. I guess it is a fine line but it is there and I think most people have a sense of what is acceptable behavior.

For example the Tweedy thing was toxic as fuck... but the the Forever King / Wound Cowboy thing was one of the greatest moments in MKx. Both were form beef... both said some full on things. One was all in the game, the other was just fucked.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
None of the above. They are more amusing or more insulting only in context. When playing with my buddies in local VS we laugh if someone actually does it and make them pay for it later. What's truly TOXIC in ANY game? Online gamers and the way they think it's ok to act because they believe themselves shielded by anonominity.
@JBeezYBabY I was going to end up writing something long but I'll try to keep it short.

The toxicity today is soft. Like many people today. Touchy feely type softness of toxicity. It comes in the form of a message, or a triggered action by the person your dealing with. Online. Online where that person means nothing to you. A vage memory in under an hour. That is toxicity nowadays. It not teabagging or jumping over your opponent n shit. That's more like mind games and building salt.

You see it's not like back then in the arcades or community centres were you could get dealt with in many many different ways if you or your crew acted a fool. You see if your deliberately causing a ruckus, being a douchebag or generally being toxic. It would be shutdown right then and there inside or out. I've seen it quite a few times but those dudes don't last too long.

Nowadays its far more soft. Toxicity is in the form of the messages, Social media & your rep.
Let Uncle JBeezY tell y'all a little story. AHEM once upon a time recently, I was playing an online ranked match against a person on SC6, right, and he sucked by spamming the RE (Reversal Edge) over and over again. If you're not familiar its a very annoying one button parry that leads you into a rock paper scissors game. Imagine that with HORRIBLE lag on top of that. I was frustrated, so I kicked his ass and teabagged him. No rematch.

THIS MUTHAFUCKA of course sent me a lovely piece of hatemail but i ignored it. But here's the gag....this creep all of a sudden found my INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT AND CONTINUED TO HARASS ME IN MY DMs! I was like...WHOA! How in da fuck did you find my social media online when its not linked to my PSN? Thats some next level stalker creep shit. Its a video game at the end of the day. I blocked his ass of course, and took a screen shot on who he looks like to keep 'receipts' ya know....just in case cuz muthafuckas are crazy out here and Uncle JBeezY does NOT play those types of games.. .And yes, he is described to be a "neckbeard" in every form of the definition. Now THAT is toxic!

Now before you little soft tulips go say, "Oh but you teabagged him." I did. And? That does NOT give permission for ANYBODY to harass people online over a fucking video game. If you get really butthurt over a taunt, a teabag, or a kick to your dead body online, then young'ns toughen up because trust me REAL LIFE will kick your ass alot harder than antics in a video game. Whoop there it is.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Let Uncle JBeezY tell y'all a little story. AHEM once upon a time recently, I was playing an online ranked match against a person on SC6, right, and he sucked by spamming the RE (Reversal Edge) over and over again. If you're not familiar its a very annoying one button parry that leads you into a rock paper scissors game. Imagine that with HORRIBLE lag on top of that. I was frustrated, so I kicked his ass and teabagged him. No rematch.

THIS MUTHAFUCKA of course sent me a lovely piece of hatemail but i ignored it. But here's the gag....this creep all of a sudden found my INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT AND CONTINUED TO HARASS ME IN MY DMs! I was like...WHOA! How in da fuck did you find my social media online when its not linked to my PSN? Thats some next level stalker creep shit. Its a video game at the end of the day. I blocked his ass of course, and took a screen shot on who he looks like to keep 'receipts' ya know....just in case cuz muthafuckas are crazy out here and Uncle JBeezY does NOT play those types of games.. .And yes, he is described to be a "neckbeard" in every form of the definition. Now THAT is toxic!

Now before you little soft tulips go say, "Oh but you teabagged him." I did. And? That does NOT give permission for ANYBODY to harass people online over a fucking video game. If you get really butthurt over a taunt, a teabag, or a kick to your dead body online, then young'ns toughen up because trust me REAL LIFE will kick your ass alot harder than antics in a video game. Whoop there it is.
THAT is some next level butthurt. I agree that behavior is the worst, I mean if you can't take losing at a game you probably shouldn't be playing them at all, especially if you have to resort to straight-up stalking someone because you really NEED to tell them how angry you are that you lost at a video game.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
THAT is some next level butthurt. I agree that behavior is the worst, I mean if you can't take losing at a game you probably shouldn't be playing them at all, especially if you have to resort to straight-up stalking someone because you really NEED to tell them how angry you are that you lost at a video game.
RIGHT!? It was during the night time too so i guess thats where the disgruntled folks come out to play. But man....i never experienced shit like that. He was some big ass White dude with a brown beard and he has a pic of him in a Snap Chat reindeer filter....yeah....

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
RIGHT!? It was during the night time too so i guess thats where the disgruntled folks come out to play. But man....i never experienced shit like that. He was some big ass White dude with a brown beard and he has a pic of him in a Snap Chat reindeer filter....yeah....
Forgive me, but I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

I'll generally leave a set after the round finishes if my opponent's teabagging simply because its usually a sign they'll rage quit or leave the moment I start running it back.

But by itself it's not really toxic and I do it a bunch to my friends. Taunting all the time too. Really it's just if I don't know the person then it's a sign I'm not going to have a productive set.

I kinda wish MK had taunts like KI

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
I don't know if any of that is toxic tbh. Teabagging is one of the more frustrating things on the list, but I don't even know if I'd call that toxic per say.

honestly, one of the more toxic parts of online gaming is the lag switchers and router kickers of the world. they will ruin any fun of a match because they can't handle taking an L.

Nail on the head here. Nothing more infuriating than dealing with a manbaby that literally cant fathom losing a game fair and square.

Interestingly, doing shit like this automatically makes you a bigger loser than losing the fight would have.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Im pretty ok with all of them as long as its not abusive. You wanna teabag at the end of the match, cool.

But dont teabag for the whole ''Finish him'' sequence > even worse if you end it with a fatality > even worse if you just leave after that > even worse if we've only played one game that you barely won.

total waste of time...that's probably what bothers me most.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.

Yep...I agree with you 100% I've had that done to me as well but on the job. In real life. Not gaming. Not online. In. Real. Life.

Yep. People nowadays are soft. Weak. Entitled. Pitiful specimens of human beings.

Sorry to hear you go through that. Be thankful that it didn't escalate further.

Rizz091

Noob
I don't personally go out of my way to taunt opponent's, but if they do it to you, it's up to you how you react. Getting angry means you let them win.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
@JBeezYBabY, Duuude. I'm sorry. That kind of way out of line shit is what I'm talking about. People think they can say/do whatever vile crap they want because they rarely face real consequences.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
If you use nicks that are easily traceable it is also on you. The point of nicks is to obscure your real life. If you use the same gamer tag as your twitter and your facebook and emails and all that then you are just being foolish. If I left my keys in my car and the door open while parking it in the city and it got stolen, the thief is an ass, but I was also kinda making it pretty easy as well.