What's new

What do I do against Joker?

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
hey y'all. I didn't play IGAU and I'm finding myself getting mauled by joker in the corner and unable to compete with him full screen zoning.

I know joker is considered bad, but I have zero MU knowledge or experience against him and I got 3-0d last night by a good joker who really abused the teeth setups and had his oki on point. WU wall mb seemed to get stuffed, delayed getup earned me another knockdown, etc.

I feel like some of the shit he was doing wasn't real, but I have no idea.

Can anyone give me just some general and specific advice fighting joker as GL? Anything would help, thanks guys!

CountHyuga

Old man Hyuga.
Delay wake up or backdash his teeth and block the overhead. You don't want to wake up with him, he stuffs everything. In corner you'd want to push block to get him off you. Gunshot is a hassle, since gl suffer zoning. You must get into b1 range by feet, do not try to contend with nothing but mbbf1, which is super fast. You could sneak in some db2 between his shots to knock him down.

Challenge every time he does a string into teeth.
Delay wakeup every time
B1 outfoosies joker all day
D2 is a great anti air against his jump-ins

Joker vs Green Lantern is fairly close imo. I play a lot of Joker nowadays so here's my two cents.

Joker is strong in the corner. It may sound obvious but you shouldn't let yourself get cornered in the first place. Avoid it even if it means using your clash or rolling out or mb interactables.

Don't wake up. If I'm playing Joker and I do a teeth set up the very first thing I'm doing is mb Crowbar. I'm trying to condition you not to wake up and I will spend every resource to do it. The truth is I don't even need to spend resources if we're even on life. GL is part of that section of the cast whose wake ups don't move them forward. I can just throw teeth and do whatever I want. You'll pop up and I'll get hit but I can still follow up if I'm quick enough. It's really similar to Captain Cold's wake up in that w/r/t trading with teeth.

Push block gets rid of teeth. If you're blocking 113 or 213 you can spend a bar and make some space for yourself.

Delayed wake ups will allow you to try to block a cross up instead of a teeth set up. While it's not ideal I would say always block towards the corner. The reasoning is that if you end up getting crossed up you might take damage but at least you will be out of the corner once the thing is over.

Joker has 2 plus strings and only 1 string can be cancelled into. 21 mids which are +3 and 113 high into overhead which is +5. Uh... Push block, armor etc.

Midscreen you should have everything you need to maul Joker. Better reach, safety, plus frames you can't backdash and annoyingly powerful Oki. This is your bread and butter. B1 makes any Joker approach really dangerous. Joker's wake up game is garbage. Jump in or b1 or cross up. Just do whatever the hell you want EXCEPT go for constant mbf3 or b3. I will parry those if you wanna do it all day.

If Joker knocks you down midscreen then the answer is usually backdash. Not always though. If i know you're backdashing all day I'm gonna start ending combos in f21 and then following up with a jump in.

Joker wins from far range. Even with all Green lanterns projectiles Joker just needs gunshots and he can win trades. It's not cheap though. In low life situations Joker might be forced to come in instead of trading projectiles.

32 special is not real
11 special is not real.
You can backdash 21*3

He's got holes all over the place but he seems a lot stronger if you don't know about them.

When you have Joker in the corner one option is just backing up and letting Joker stand up then pressuring. There's basically nothing he can do because b1 is such a threat Joker is not going to parry and going for a crowbar is equally stupid.

Last edited:

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
I want to thank you all so much for your input it's incredible. I'll parse the info better later, but thanks a lot for the serious and detailed replies.

After I made this thread the joker I played last night added me and we went into online practice for over an hour.

I learned a lot!!! And a lot of what I learned coincided with the advice here. I gave up mb wall wakeup, and started mixing in short and long wakeup and it helped....some. Seems like some of those teeth setups are very HTB and I'm still not sure about whether the crowbar or jump in attacks or the 2 hit string with the flip overhead ender hit before or after the teeth. Sometimes it seems they hit on the same frame lol.

My best success was definitely mid screen in b1 range and baiting jump ins and trip guarding and AA with b1. I had very little success with my d2 aa though...unless I made the read. Just seems like his jump in is like batmans and very tough to beat.

I learned the hard way not to try my usual corner shenanigans of mb f3 after it got parried 3-4 times haha. Other than that I felt great on oki with b1 and j3 crossup or not mix.

I started challenging his teeth setups out of canceled block strings midscreen with b1 which was great because he was slow to start respecting it, and even when he simply blocked after the teeth, I was able to stagger b1 and open him up, or be safe after b13. Probably should've went savage here and there and tried b1xxbf2 with trait for the knockdown and oki.

Again, great replies and I can't wait to get home and work this shit. Man, joker is fucking scary in the corner!!!!

I'd really like to have a thread like this for damn near every matchup.

hey y'all. I didn't play IGAU and I'm finding myself getting mauled by joker in the corner and unable to compete with him full screen zoning.

I know joker is considered bad, but I have zero MU knowledge or experience against him and I got 3-0d last night by a good joker who really abused the teeth setups and had his oki on point. WU wall mb seemed to get stuffed, delayed getup earned me another knockdown, etc.

I feel like some of the shit he was doing wasn't real, but I have no idea.

Can anyone give me just some general and specific advice fighting joker as GL? Anything would help, thanks guys!
Don't get in the corner

One thing I recently mastered was d1 poke him out of his meterburn launcher (don't know the name, but the one with the green smoke or sumn)

i play cyborg and he has a 7f poke. It doesn't stuff entirely, but it interrupts the animation of him shooting the canister, which in turn makes the whole thing just whiff. The timing is pretty tight, but if you have a char with good mid (maybe not as much "good" as "fast" lol), then it shouldn't be a problem.