What's new

What "control scheme" Classic, Dynamic or Modern?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
So what is the deal with these new control systems... are there any restrictions between match ups? Like if I am using modern or dynamic... doesn't that give me an advantage for people running classic? I mean sure you have some extra control in classic, but is that really a big deal, particularly at non-pro levels?

1. Classic is the old 6 button layout
  2. Modern is basically an IJ Pad Layout, with AI choosing "medium or heavy" somehow for you and effect buttons like Drive set to bumps and triggers. It also has a "special" button that you press + a direction to choose a special. The downside is that all specials are of the one strength. Basically, this is a IJ2 layout.... BUT it has a flat 20% damage reduction applied to all Modern style inputs. All Special moves and supers deal 20% less damage compared to using those exact same moves in the Classic control scheme
  3. Dynamic is a button mash thing where pressing 3 buttons and it will pop out full combos for you. I've heard it called AI Assistant... but as in YOU are assisting the AI. Probably a good choice for a console set up to play with my 8 year old's party or something.
Thing is, how dose this effect the online space, will Modern eventually replace Classic, as the older crowd age out of the competitive scene?

What controls are you using?

Last edited:

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I still haven’t found my character yet so I’ve been dicking around with multiple, and what controls I use kind of depends on what character I’m playing. I like Marisa with modern, but Manon feels way more comfy with classic.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm using modern for now, I might switch when I get better but I play Marisa and you can still do a ton with her without having to do those annoying fireball inputs that I've always had a ton of trouble with. Feels more like MK and my brain can pretend I know how to play easy enough. :laughing:

Jynks

I'm using modern <snip> I play Marisa
it's crazy to me that most people play her with modern and when playing modern you have a 20% Damage Debuff.... just think about that.... most of the time you see her.. she is working with a.... twenty.... percent, damage debuff. lol

Last edited:

Jynks

I just watched a Justine Wong video where is is saying Modern is dominating the top of the Japan scene at the moment..... it may be the new normal. I wonder what / if they will have any rules on scheme for the capcom cup and other majors.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
it's crazy to me that most people play her with modern and when playing modern you have a 20% Damage Debuff.... just think about that.... most of the time you see her.. she is working with a.... twenty.... percent, damage debuff. lol
damn, well I don't mind honestly. I'm guessing they'll nerf her damage tho especially in classic. Smaller damage makes me learn to play neutral better and capitalize off punishes.

Jynks

she dose enough damage already lol... make modern -40 and classic -20 lol

Zviko

Noob
I’m on classic because if I want to optimize stuff it’s the only option and it’s better to get used to it asap if I want to switch to it at some point anyway. And not even for going pro or tournaments, just to feel better about it. I do this for all games I play. If it’s not the hardest setting I’m not happy about it.

Jynks

I'm playing classic, as that is all I have ever played. I tried the other modern mode, but it feels so wrong to me.

If it’s not the hardest setting I’m not happy about it.
um.. that is a super bizarre attitude.. but you do you bro.

Agilaz

It has begun
Classic Dhalsim right now

Being able to do motions is an intrinsic part of fighting games, and if you play more than one it's good to be able to keep your execution up between games.

Rizz091

Noob
Classic. Street fighter without a 6 button layout and motion controls just isn't right to me. Tried modern just to see what it's like and it felt so wrong. Idk if I'd use it just to casually mess with extra characters though.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Yeah I'm playing JP and I don't get how he could even hang with the modern control scheme, but it's interesting to hear that people are running with it. Feel like the ranked/competition scene will all move towards normal but I haven't dug that deep into modern. Like I guess charge characters might get easier specials?

Currently view it as a nice feature for more casual play or those who aren't already sold on 6 button layout which could be a barrier for entry. And anyone can use any character with that scheme

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Been playing classic as of launch day with no modern in sight so far

glad they made modern for those who may not be used to the 6 button layout

Jynks

What I find interesting about modern is that it is being really embraced in Japan and Asia-Pacific, but US and EU it is almost a mark of shame to use Modern. Many of the capcom pro legends in Japan are all on Modern now and melting faces. Justin Wong for example, as a youtuber, has been playing modern in the top ranks and 1/2 the matches against people like Zhen and Kawano who are all running modern. Also all the young 14 year old savants are on modern, so that scheme is only going ot get stronger.... only us old fogies are running classic. The simple fact there is no hardware barrier (it is designed for controllers like MK) will make it super popular.. in fact I am sure modern is all about the controller barrier as it has often been theorised that MK is so popular as liturally anyone with a console can buy and play with out needed anything extra, like a 400usd arcade stick.

I'm calling it now... Evo or CC will be at least 1/3rd Modern next time, with a Modern winner in the next 3 years.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Personally using Classic as Modern felt so very weird. However, Modern is fascinating as it's truly an entirely different style. There's very notable downsides (damage reduction and lack of access to full kit), but it opens the door to a new flow to controlling a character. Anyone who is calling Modern a "crutch" have no idea what they're talking about.

I've also been watching some top end players, like Jynks noted, who are doing insanely well using Modern. Honestly quite scary.

Jynks

I didn't spend 1000s on different arcade sticks to start using gamepads in fighting games!! lol

REYTHEGREAT

I was using modern but switch to classic. I was also watching the Dream Hack tournament and top 48 were all using classic.

Zviko

Noob
I'm calling it now... Evo or CC will be at least 1/3rd Modern next time, with a Modern winner in the next 3 years.
I don't think so. Pro's mentality is optimizing stuff to last detail. They excel at execution which is the whole point of modern - making it easier for new players. I don't think pros need that and they certainly won't give up so much damage for it.