What's new

What character do you see as the scrubbiest?

To begin, I would like to give my definition of what a scrub is. In my opinion, a scrub is someone who is bad at the game but blames everything under the sun except their own lack of skill. Players like this tend to gravitate towards characters that can make up for their lack of skill; usually in the form of easy-to-use, high reward gameplay. They don't care about the risk associated with what they use, just that it can get them results.

Now that that's out the way, I would like to name Sindel as my pick for the scrubbiest character in this game. I have never once come across a Sindel player that does anything intelligent. Everything is caution to wind. Let me break down why I feel this way.

Whip & Flip: This move is supposed to be an anti zoning tool. However, scrubs will just randomly throw this out for no reason. But the worst part about this move is that reward is mediocre for the risk you take to use it. Unless you're fishing for the KB, it's not worth being -22 on block for 12%.

KB Scream: There is never a worse feeling than being hit by this. Comboed into 40% because you hit a button at the wrong time for 3/4 the screen. I've been hit by this because a Sindel just burnt both bars one after the other and I got hit by the second trying to push my advantage. 0 risk taken for amazing reward.

F4U3: I tried a lot of things to see what can punish this and I can't find anything. It doesn't have a gap, so a flawless block attack can't punish. Even in the corner she can't be punished. Hell, F4 by itself is only -7, so unless you have a 6 frame jab, good luck. 0 risk for a decent amount of reward.

Now I ask you, TYM, what characters do you label as scrubby?

Zviko

Noob
It's a tough one between Sindel and Jade but I gotta give it to Sindel I think. I can somehow adapt to random Jade but when I play against Sindel with a stuck up button I want to punch something. From jump in they go into B2 or Whip and Flip and when you start anti airing or even preemptively air to airing they start whiffing their kicks and Whip and Flip still comes out. Like why is that a thing? If you whiff on the ground you can't cancel into special, why can you in the air?

I think that specific example is the most scrubiest thing. It's not even a character, it's game design and a scrub who plays like that doesn't even realize it.

Well most of the scrubs I run into play sindel, sub zero, jade, and mileena. I don't think mileena is a scrubby character but its rare for me to come across one that doesn't play braindead.

Well most of the scrubs I run into play sindel, sub zero, jade, and mileena. I don't think mileena is a scrubby character but its rare for me to come across one that doesn't play braindead.
I almost picked Sub-zero as well. Most scrubby sub zeros run the same set: Amp Iceball with Creeping ice. The only thing Amp Iceball does is allow him to combo start from overhead. The antizoning aspect is covered by slide so, in my opinion, using two slots just to allow mix is dumb. Especially when yolo overhead into amp iceball is unsafe. The only reason I edged Sindel over Subzero is creeping ice. At least subzero players have the capacity to make themselves safe if they miss. Sindel players literally don't care and will let it rip no matter what.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Heaven forbid if someone sucks ass at the game, plays braindead and without actual strategy because they just want to have fun and isn't about finding the right combo/mix-up/whatever, and doesn't feel like blaming anyone when they lose.

Just having fun.

Holy shit.

Or, maybe they just play online because it's the only way to unlock kl gear and just pick a character and play until they do.

Zviko

Noob
Heaven forbid if someone sucks ass at the game, plays braindead and without actual strategy because they just want to have fun and isn't about finding the right combo/mix-up/whatever, and doesn't feel like blaming anyone when they lose.

Just having fun.

Holy shit.

Or, maybe they just play online because it's the only way to unlock kl gear and just pick a character and play until they do.
Who made you the scrub police? FFS man, there's nothing wrong with how people play. No one is hating on players, just on shit they get away with.

Jaccqui Briggs is a free card for anybody who dont have any idea what a fighting game is just press some shit and give trouble to the opponent.

The game is a mess, but, Jaccqui....just play her own game. It is not even a fighting game when you fight her.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I almost picked Sub-zero as well. Most scrubby sub zeros run the same set: Amp Iceball with Creeping ice. The only thing Amp Iceball does is allow him to combo start from overhead. The antizoning aspect is covered by slide so, in my opinion, using two slots just to allow mix is dumb. Especially when yolo overhead into amp iceball is unsafe. The only reason I edged Sindel over Subzero is creeping ice. At least subzero players have the capacity to make themselves safe if they miss. Sindel players literally don't care and will let it rip no matter what.
Amp ice ball is actually a lot more than that.

Regular ice ball does no damage, amp ice ball does. So by confirming into amp ice ball after grounded strings, deep freeze users enjoy a boost in unbreakable damage whenever they see fit.

It's a GREAT counter-zoning tool since it eats opponent's projectiles and grants a free combo.

It also allows for juggles that wouldn't be possible without it. For example, after a d2 KB, they can go into b32~amp ice ball into j2 whatever. Or AA with b2, dash, 12~amp ice ball etc.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Kung lao, joker, cetrion, kano are by far the easiest to do well with in my opinion.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
By your own definition, Sindel is not a "scrub character".
  • You said it yourself, whip & flip is high-risk/low-reward if used recklessly. Throwing it out randomly only becomes a winning strategy if Sindel's opponent refuses to adapt to her yolo game play.
  • She gets to use her scream KB once a match, that's it. Bait it out early (before she has FB) and from far away, and a bad player probably won't even be able to convert for much. Then there's practically no more reward for throwing out random screams.
  • f4u3: This string is oppressive, it's true. She wouldn't have it if she'd been given a more well-rounded design. You can't play vs. Sindel at f4 range, but under pressure she loses pretty much all her best options.
The character who fits what you're talking about is Sub-Zero. It's not even close. His slide is much harder to react to, and has a better, cheaper, easier reward to cash out on than Sindel's scream. His 50/50 mix requires no difficult execution and will work, by definition, about half the time regardless of the opponent's skill level.

Sub is pretty much the definition of a luck-based rather than skill-based character. That's not to say he can't be played with high skill, but if you're someone who just wants to roll the dice and get a lot of wins based on lucky breaks, Sub is your boy.

• You said it yourself, whip & flip is high-risk/low-reward if used recklessly. Throwing it out randomly only becomes a winning strategy if Sindel's opponent refuses to adapt to her yolo game play.
  • She gets to use her scream KB once a match, that's it. Bait it out early (before she has FB) and from far away, and a bad player probably won't even be able to convert for much. Then there's practically no more reward for throwing out random screams.
  • f4u3: This string is oppressive, it's true. She wouldn't have it if she'd been given a more well-rounded design. You can't play vs. Sindel at f4 range, but under pressure she loses pretty much all her best options.
The character who fits what you're talking about is Sub-Zero. It's not even close. His slide is much harder to react to, and has a better, cheaper, easier reward to cash out on than Sindel's scream. His 50/50 mix requires no difficult execution and will work, by definition, about half the time regardless of the opponent's skill level.

Sub is pretty much the definition of a luck-based rather than skill-based character. That's not to say he can't be played with high skill, but if you're someone who just wants to roll the dice and get a lot of wins based on lucky breaks, Sub is your boy.
Its personal experience why I chose Sindel. People don't seem to want to break out of doing yolo with Sindel more than Subzero. But maybe your experience is different. :)

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Its personal experience why I chose Sindel. People don't seem to want to break out of doing yolo with Sindel more than Subzero. But maybe your experience is different. :)
We've probably had similar experiences; just trying to explain why Sindel and Sub-Zero are different imo.

The funny thing about Sindel is that when she first came out, everyone thought she was trash; no one played her online. It wasn't until a few high-level players like Koisy really put in the time and started wrecking with her that casuals finally took notice.

Thing is though, Sindel does not carry. She does have a few cheap tricks she can use that appeal to scrub players, and they're annoying af, but you can adapt to them. The reason scrubs won't come off yolo with her is b/c they don't know what else to do; it takes a lot of practice and skill to develop a higher-level game plan. That's one of the reasons it took a long time for casuals to start picking her up.

On the other hand, Sub-Zero is literally a press-your-luck character by design. Even scrubs can fool you into thinking they're executing a high-level game plan with Sub, because mixing you over and over is exactly how the character is supposed to be played. You can't really adapt to it; you just have to guess. Or figure out a way to zone him out--after which the Sub player will hate mail you, claiming you're the scrub for not letting him mix you. I don't see how anything gets dumber than that.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
It’s hard to say which characters are the “scrubbiest” since not many characters in MK11 require that much brain capacity. The scrubbiest characters to me are Subzero and Scorpion. Maybe it’s because of online experience, but I’ve never encountered one that isn’t relying on wifi or bullshit.

Sindel isn’t a scrub character, she’s a simple character that’s effective against people that like to whiff moves. At a higher level she really can’t do much if someone knows how to fight against her. Sindel is a very unsafe character, so I don’t really see how a unsafe character that’s simple to play is considered a scrub character.

Well to be honest, MK isn’t really known for its complex execution, it only has strict execution with certain timings.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Well to be honest, MK isn’t really known for its complex execution, it only has strict execution with certain timings.
At a base level sure, but MK has def had its execution heavy characters. MK9 Skarlet, proper MK9 Kabal, lot of MKX characters had tight cancels, even MK11 has some solid stuff.

I mentioned it before, but this combo literally took me hours to pull off

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
As much as I think she's bottom 5, D'Vorah deserves to be in this discussion.

1. Katipo Rush guaranteeing safety, making every single touch of hers a mixup on block as to whether you're allowed to press buttons after, and creating pressure loops at +13. It's also a mindgame in itself as to whether it's punishable due to the threat of amplification.
  2. A combo extender teleport.
  3. Long range normals.
  4. One of the most insane D2s in the game.
  5. Autopilot anti-air special that also has easily one of the top 10 best KBs in the game.
  6. Strepsiptera. Dont want your opponent to play? Dont want wakeups to matter? Want to go back to mashing blockstring pressure and Katipo Rush loops? Want your OH/Low mixup to be entirely safe if not plus? Want to threaten a loop into another combo that will lead into another Strep setup? Want to throw out a YOLO Fatal Blow in neutral with 0 risk involved? Just drop the bug-farting bug.
D'Vorah is capable of boosting autopilot players pretty well if their opponent isnt experienced at fighting her. She only flies under the radar cause most of those kinds of players arent interested in a grotesque bug woman (that, and she's not very good).