What's new

What Changes Ivy Needs and WHY/ PATCH RANT

, let me first start off by saying that i was going to post this before patch today, and i just wanted to say that giving poison ivy awake up wasn't the answer to solving her problem especially a useless wake up ability that you can hop over and you stated " that was punishable on block" and im pretty sure you cant meter burn it i maybe be wrong because the patch notes haven't came out yet.. either way its the stupidest thing ever! her not having a wake up wasn't the problem just like black Adam not having a wake up wasn't a problem... its the fact that she has poor zoning and no good up close game and its rarely her turn against or when it is she cant open people up, she has to respect people WAY TOO MUCH... and the only people that will disagree with me is the people that haven't never played ivy or lose to her because they don't know how poor she is... the main problem that needs to be addressed is her trait ITS NOT OKAY! and honestly after watching the stream i really don't care about visual changes anymore cause clearly they cant get the actual buffs she needs right! and now that they buffed every other character in the game that didn't need buffs, shes definitely going to be
out shined.... anyways this is all before the patch notes came out so i could be completely wrong and she got more buffs but by what they said on stream she got nothing really
NECESSARY BUFFS

SPECIAL MOVES:

Bed of Thorns- poison ivy throws seed onto the grounds sprouting a bed of thorns. Enemies that step into the thorns take damage over time and are unable to jump or dash

Meter burn: Increases the damage and size of bed of thorns

Notes: Double the damage, increase the tick rate, and decrease the start up and increase the size slightly

Why?

Poison Ivy- Bed of thorns
Meter less Damage: 30.55
Meter burn Damage: 61.1
Scales
Not stackable
Tick/ tick rate: 5 ticks (slow)
Area: ground

Doctor fate- trait: nabu’s curse
-Meter less Damage: 61.1
-Meter burn Damage: 244.4
-Scales
-Stack-able: 2 max
Tick/ tick rate: 10 MB: 20 (fast)
Area: Circle/ orb

Yes you’re reading that correctly the seeds do scales in a combo so you don’t even get the full 61.1 damage and it really doesn't matter because they have to stay relatively close to the ground so you won’t even get all 5 ticks to hit.

And also the grounding part of the seeds will help her be able to zone better without pet by forcing them to take 1- 2 vine drills on block

Rhytidome skin- poison ivy covers her in a bark like skin reducing incoming damage and preventing chip damage

Notes: reduce the recovery

Why? As of right now there is a point to using this but it’s hard to get off against zoner which I assumed it’s used for since they chip the most. Some of you might say just use it between the zoner’s gaps. I would say would you put up nightshade in the middle of someone zoning? No? Because it’s not fast enough to be safe… then I would say then why would you use rhytidome skin? If you look at the data they have the same start up of 1 and recovery of 50… case closed

TRAIT:

Nightshade- poison ivy summons her pet nightshade

D4 - poison ivy commands nightshade to burrow knocking the opponent off their feet

Notes: I initially thought poison ivy’s pet should controllable because of the annoyances that come with it and if you MAIN ivy you definitely have experienced this. for examples:

- Nightshade can make moves plus on block negative or punishable

- Nightshade can make moves safe on block punishable

- Nightshade can make moves on hit blockable by creating gaps in strings that shouldn’t exist

- Nightshade can make moves on hit punishable

- Nightshade can interrupt grabs and moves that hold the opponent

- Nightshade can make you drop combos that you NEVER EVER drop

- If you’re still in block stun and the opponent is attacking you and they get hit Nightshade resets their recovery and they can still attack before you can. So basically it’s still their turn even though they got hit

- Nightshade goes away on hit

- Nightshade goes away on grab even if you tech it

- Nightshade goes away on push block. Even if you’re near the opponent and you don’t touch them AT ALL if they block nightshades projectile they can push block you away

- There is a window between summoning nightshade and when it starts to shoot so opponents can easily get in and grab you

- Nightshades burrow doesn't travel the entire screen even though poison ivy has one of the most traveling combo strings in the game

- The pet cannot shoot upwards so anyone with an air projectile or hover or air dash don’t get hit AT ALL by nightshade

- People can duck nightshades projectile if they extend the screen

- Nightshades tracking is horrible when it has to turn around especially if its multiple times

- Etc.

But then I thought if she could control her pet she would just be as annoying, broken, skill less, as batman’s trait or atrocious’ trait… even though she’s the only one who actually has the power to control plants

So the changes I think need to happen to the pet are:

- Increase the block and hit advantage of the pets projectile

o Note: not necessarily easily combo punishable but it should be her turn

- Increase the tracking of nightshade letting nightshade anti air

- Change the visual of poison ivy’s bar of her trait to have points to show when the pet is going to shoot

ex. [__] [__] [__] [__] [__] [__}

the gaps in between the blocks would be when the pet shoots. and the last block would give you time to burrow nightshade

- Pet has a smart sensor to not shoot and stopping at the next shooting point during grabs and combos that hold the opponent such as her B2, D2, 2+3 string or deadly kiss and shooting after with the remaining amount of projectiles left

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Did anyone read this novel?
I honestly tried. Today I failed at something.

Sometimes I feel like every now and then I ask for too much... then I see stuff like this and I'm like "nah man, you're fine" :p

To OP: Sometimes SIMPLE fixes are way better than overcomplicated redesigns (and you're not going to see a big redesign so far into the game's life, it takes a lot of production time). I mean... some of those changes are even just cosmetic.

smile

Noob
This kind of reminds me of maxter's wall of text posts back in mk9. Also i read your name as "in denial" which is ironic given the nature of this post. On a serious note ivy did get the lamest buff ever so i understand you ivy players' frustration.

Meep8345

Noob
A more in detail tldr would be so helpful because I didn't read the full wall of text. I think she needs her d2 buffed, her wakeups are trash so just give her a great d2 idk why they didn't. Buff her trait and make the projectile plus and make it drain the trait bar when they pushblock like dexstar.

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
I'd suggest finding footage of some high level play: GuamoKun, Mr J, Emperor Chap, etc. Get a better idea of trait usage from them. There's a lot that can be done with it, but it requires a certain rhythm both in pressure and combos. Mr J especially has a combo video that I think you would get a lot out of. Once you've done more research into trait - studied the frame traps, setups, conversions - you might change your mind.

Reactions: Vex

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Not jumping to conclusions just yet but of all the things we asked for and all we get is this shitty new move, NRS will be lame for that

I'd suggest finding footage of some high level play: GuamoKun, Mr J, Emperor Chap, etc. Get a better idea of trait usage from them. There's a lot that can be done with it, but it requires a certain rhythm both in pressure and combos. Mr J especially has a combo video that I think you would get a lot out of. Once you've done more research into trait - studied the frame traps, setups, conversions - you might change your mind.
#1- I have see mr j #2 she doesn’t have any true frame traps.... there are gaps some maybe small or bigger #3 setups are only good on mb kiss #4 converting? With Ivy’s pet? Have you seen it... it’s possible but basically impossibl. You have to take in your moves the pets projectile speed, travel time, distance. I know poison ivy I search her name up everyday to see if someone one has found some ground breaking tech I don’t know about and that has yet to happen... and you clearly don’t play ivy enough because clearly there is such a thing called push block that gets rid of her setups and pressure lol

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I play ivy. All of the changes you listed with the exception of the Nightshade changes seem fine to me. The changes you’re requesting for Nightshade make Ivy v Robin 8-2. Possibly worse. A faster d2 and these changes to bed of thornes and the bark skin are way more then enough to put her in top 10 convos.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
This is not actually a buff list.. this is a total redesign of the character and it is "make my character top tier" type list we get all the time from players.. this is why players can or should not ever be involved in game design. Imagine what Sub would be like if Tom Brady did the work on him lol

This is not actually a buff list.. this is a total redesign of the character and it is "make my character top tier" type list we get all the time from players.. this is why players can or should not ever be involved in game design. Imagine what Sub would be like if Tom Brady did the work on him lol
How is it a redesign?.... all I talked about was skin, thorns , and trait and it was even character changing it’s making what she has actually good and worth using .... but my she’s a brand new character! My bad