What's new

What changes do we want for Ivy next patch?

myri

Time Warrior
So currently I think Ivy is a pretty solid character, sitting about right in the middle of the the cast as far as strength goes. She still suffers from a pretty weak defensive game when it comes to her anti-airs and wakeups but those have been helped out slightly. I think it's become clear over time that Ivy is best played as an offensive character rather than a defensive one even if her tools like bark skin, trait and drills encourage her to play defensive, she stills benefits greatly from an up close pressure and mixup game. So what changes do we want to see for her next patch?

Here is what I'm hoping for:

First and most importantly MAKE THORNS USEFUL.

We've been asking for this since pretty much day one. Countless ideas have been tossed around to make this move useful as it is currently the most worthless base special in the entire game. Give it more damage, make it recover faster, make it stop dashes or jumps, just please make it do something so everyone who plays Poison Ivy actually has a reason to use this special.

Second, slightly speed up the startup of vine drills. Currently it's 24 frames, which is slow considering its Ivy's main zoning tool. I would like to see it be sped up to about 18-19 frames just so Ivy can compete and trade a bit more easily with some of the more hardcore zoners in the game like Dr. Fate and Darkseid which are some of her hardest matchups.

Third and lastly, reduce the recovery on trait and bark skin by a small amount too. Both are currently 50 frames of recovery, it'd be cool if they were reduced to something like 30 frames but thats probably asking a bit much. If they were dropped to 40 or even 45 frames of recovery that would be nice, once again with the aim of helping Ivy to compete against those more hardcore zoners, allowing her to sneak in a trait or bark skin to help her compete, but not make her so crazy as to become an over the top zoner herself.

That's pretty much it. Honestly if Ivy stays as she is currently she is in a pretty good spot overall, she still has those same weaknesses she always had (by design no less, so it's okay) but these would be some nice changes to push her in the direction I feel the character has and will continue to develop.

Mostly I just wants thorns to be worth using.

So yeah, what are your opinions on the Queen of the Green?

9_Lives

Noob
I think based on @xKhaoTik's thread alone it sounds like an overwhelming consensus goes towards an anti air of some kind either a better d2 or some faster ji1 for preemptive etc.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I think based on @xKhaoTik's thread alone it sounds like an overwhelming consensus goes towards an anti air of some kind either a better d2 or some faster ji1 for preemptive etc.
It's probably the main thing stopping me from playing her really. Like I'm not asking to anti air Batman J2 10/10 times but there are some really easy jumps in that can be beaten that are very hard to deal with as Ivy.

On top of the fact her whole kit is about her being a defensive character using trait, drills, thorns (also trash) as special abilities. B2 and F3 are extremely good against aggressive opponents moving when they shouldn't, and she has pretty good stagger pressure with most of her combo strings (from what I think).

You would think a decent anti-air would be among those. I think it should be like Brainiac's D2, where it's not insanely fast compared to some other anti-airs like Beetle's or Aquaman's, but covers a lot of space and crouching when performing it.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I'm not saying she can't or shouldn't be buffed. But to me her not having a good D2 is them attempting to balance her, particularly for when she has nightshade out. I see people criticize that aspect of her character design but I think she was made with that in mind.

DavesHotnJuicy

jmack_215
Idk, I’ve been doing just fine with her honestly. Idk what would be a good buff for her, That’s a tough decision. make thorns useful, but it would only apply if u could keep the opponent cornered. Bc other wise they can walk right past it.

Cursa

I seriously think D2, maybe not a godlike one but you can't anti air shit.

or i'm just trash but that was why I initially dropped the character. Or give thorns the Abigail's Garden ability where people can't jump while in it since that would solve the problem if you placed it correctly.

gam224

The world's least hype player
Maby an alternate anti air something along the lines of red hoods back 1. If they buff her already existing down 2 too much she’s going to be more of a wall than sub

Cursa

I'm not saying she can't or shouldn't be buffed. But to me her not having a good D2 is them attempting to balance her, particularly for when she has nightshade out. I see people criticize that aspect of her character design but I think she was made with that in mind.
I don't think her having nightshade out is that scary if all she's doing is zoning. Yeah it's a lot of chip but it's sort of whatever, I'm just going to get in after it's over and jump in into my own pressure and chip

Jinxx

9 Lives
-No gap in mb datura hammer
-Vine drill start up is 18-19 frames
-Barkskin and trait recovery reduced to 35-40 frames
-Make bed of thorns useful
all she needs, then I can finally be loyal to her lol

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Some of y'all are crazy.

D2 needs to be 12 frames.

IIthink Dril should be faster be let's be reasonable. Drill by itself is -12 which is really good for a ground tracking so making it 18 frames would be a little too good. 21 frames would be good and it might combo into d1.

She does not need to be easier. Her execution makes her fun.

Thorns need to be useful. Make it faster and less recovery.

Honestly Id be happy with a just 12f d2