What's new

Question What buffs would Noob need to become S-tier?

recently, people have been talking about making a community patch to rebalance mk9, similar to the Project M mod for Brawl.

the PM team decided to buff everyone to the level of the top tiers instead of giving out nerfs, and i think this is the best way to balance things(makes for fastpaced gameplay with high techskill ceilings)

so im wondering, what sort of buffs would Noob need to place him up in S-tier with Kabal?

Last edited:
@laos i thought it would be cool if ex tackle was unblockable(i mean youre getting tackled, you cant block that)

@taffy i was thinking normal shadow ball should have the effect last longer, ex version makes it so they can't jump along with scrambling inputs(i think maybe it just reverses them right now, it should totally randomize them)

thanks for the non-troll replies. a rarity around here

Wigy

There it is...
Most of his game is based on grabbing gimmicks and his up shoulder. His zoning is awful and his damage output midscreen is pathetic. Portals should have same controls as shang tsungs up balls, so they are easier to use. He basically needs more viable tools and faster normals that lead to some kind of damage.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
His blocking disabled projectile is now unblockable and has the same hitbox as Ironman's proton cannon.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Rather than throw shadows at u he should become the shadow that he throws.if u block he's at advantage,if it hits it launches for a combo,noob top 3? C'mon guys use your imagination lol.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Higher dmg, some kind of change to his Ex teleslam or tackle. Maybe his Ex tackle could be like his old special in MK3 I believe it was, where the clone would grab and throw the opponent back towards Noob, which could lead into a potential juggle combo, or having his Ex teleslam pop up the opponent for a juggle combo, similar to how Shazam does his grab thingamajig.

In front and behind Ex portals would be nice too instead of always being on top.

A 6 frame d1 wouldn't hurt either.

Less recovery on his clones.

Upknee is fine as is imo.

Maybe a little bit faster normals.

Idk, just a few quick things I can think of right now. I don't think they would make him S tier though.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
15 frame b.1 for footsies
make EX tackle a pop-up and EX slide a hard knockdown

i think the reason noob's clones were made so negative on block was NRS assuming his portals would be more important than they are now (think if cyrax had less damaging set ups). this in mind, you can do one of two things to make portals useful; decrease the start-up, or decrease the recovery. both would be helpful and essentially lead to the same scenario

as for a fireball, i think his ghostball should be safer. that's pretty much all i want for it, for a faster recovering and safer generic fireball. -10 to -15 works for me

he shouldn't have faster normals (maybe standing 1 since you won't get any reasonable damage with it) because he's a zoning character at heart, but I'd like a 6 frame d.1 since that's pretty important in this game to have.

GGA Fill Pops

The Ultimate Bastich
quote="Wigy, post: 1219320, member: 10999"]Who did you beat?[/quote]
All I'm saying is I got props from evo top eighters and there were over hundreds at the venue.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Honestly from a lot of observation, you need nerfs. I don't know who came up with the idea that they're a bad thing -- because when you try to make every character in a game broken tier, you just end up with a broken mess of a game that's still not balanced due to how polarized individual matchups are.

It's much better to balance toward the middle -- give people help that need it, and tone down stuff that's out of control. When you try to put characters on par with 100% robot resets, you're in trouble.

Last edited:
Honestly from a lot of observation, you need nerfs. I don't know who came up with the idea that they're a bad thing -- because when you try to make every character in a game broken tier, you just end up with a broken mess of a game that's still not balanced due to how polarized individual matchups are.

It's much better to balance toward the middle -- give people help that need it, and tine down stuff that's out of control. When you try to put characters on par with 100% robot resets, you're in trouble.
a fair point, perhaps Kabal is too godly to properly balance the game around. however i still wonder what buffs you would want for noob to make him mid tier.

also, id like to bring up www.projectmgame.com thats the website for the brawl mod that seeks to make it play more like melee and balance it overall. they left the top 4 characters exactly the same, and then brought everyone up to their level. its an insanely fun game, and in fact a lot of people say it is better than any of the official smash bros games.

Flagg

Noob
If NS is buffed to ridiculous levels, like coating him in Armour, he will just become another Kenshi.

His portal set ups need tweaking so that they can lead to legit set ups. Buff his damage. The ghost ball glitch where he gets the damage boost should be left in. Unintentional glitches like that are kinda cool and unique.

What Kabal needs to be balanced, is a air gas blast nerf. One fireball should mean one fireball, meaning he cant fire another one until the first one has passed through the screen. Perhaps slow down the speed of the airfireball as well. Kenshi needs his specials to be unsafe with no push back except for push back on EX versions. Just my $0:02 yo.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I'm surprised I didn't see this thread earlier in the week. I'd make quite a few changes for Noob. He needs some work to be honest.
  • Shadow Tackle and Shadow Slide need to not be shitty projectiles. The fact that they're so negative on block and even worse when whiffed is just absurd.
  • If they truly feel that the recovery is necessary, then what they need to do is allow movement right after a projectile is thrown, but have a cool down time in order not to abuse the projectiles. Similar to Ryu in SF4.
  • EX Tele-slam needs to bounce, so you can continue your combos midscreen, and et cetra.
  • If the above is not possible, then just an overall increase in damage needs to happen.
  • Fix noobs EX portal moves. EX portal is glitched and they all go in the same space even when you put in different inputs for them. (Close, sweep, far). EX Portal sort oft racks the opponent, so having a close and far EX portal, but they all go to the same spot is fucking lolzy.
  • 1,2 XX anything should combo. It would make for a nice pressure tool. You can 1,2 xx throw, or down poke, but it's gimmicky and your opponent can poke out of it.
  • The hitbox for upknee needs to increase in size again, but not how it was during release week. Noob still needs a "Get the fuck off of me" move like everyone else has. He is an aqueduct zoner, but looses when people pressure him. What makes matters worse is that Noob has ZERO comeback factor. I'm not one who likes comeback mechanics, but if you have a game with a bunch of characters who can easily come back from a shitty situation, then having someone who doesn't causes them to fail in competition.
  • Why isn't upknee a good wake up move? It's pretty much a Tiger Uppercut.
  • Personally, I'd like to see EX Ghostball do something else and regular Ghostball do what EX Ghostball does now. It's still gimicky, but not broken. You can easily get around it, so having EX Ghostball take away a bar of meter, or something worth while would improve his corner game as well.

These changes would probably make him jump much higher in the tier list, which I have no problem with. He needs it.