What's new

what are your personal thoughts in mk11 that holding back to be very good game?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Breakaway I hate more than anything in any NRS game to date. I fucking can't stand it, especially when paired with Krushing Blows and regenerating defensive meter. The game is supposed to be slow paced and neutral focused, but when you get a touch the opponent has breakaway to escape. Then your Krushing Blows only work once per match, so the majority of fights don't even have KB combos since the opponent almost always has the meter to break out of them.

I love NRS games for the combos. And MK11 is the least combo friendly game yet. String, launcher, string, ender is what you get for most characters, it's stale af.

xKMMx

Banned
Nothing really I just find the game stiff and boring. All the mechanical quirks aside it lacks a certain element of fun that I have enjoyed in the past with games like MKX which was just a shit load of fun even if it was wild and a 50/ 50 fest. I at least found it very fun. Only thing keeping me playing is that I have a very limited amount of time in my life to play video games so I usually only play one at a time so that I can focus my efforts at being as good as possible. Once something comes out that Id rather play Ill probably just abandon the game and learn the new game.
Ive started to learn Tekken but having never played Tekken and not having a stick I am finding it extremely difficult so Im taking tiny little bites of that apple at a time. But once I feel up to speed with TEkken ill probably play that 90 percent of the time.

xKMMx

Banned
Breakaway I hate more than anything in any NRS game to date. I fucking can't stand it, especially when paired with Krushing Blows and regenerating defensive meter. The game is supposed to be slow paced and neutral focused, but when you get a touch the opponent has breakaway to escape. Then your Krushing Blows only work once per match, so the majority of fights don't even have KB combos since the opponent almost always has the meter to break out of them.

I love NRS games for the combos. And MK11 is the least combo friendly game yet. String, launcher, string, ender is what you get for most characters, it's stale af.
Yup> Honestly I think they got tired of their games being looked at as niche games and they let that dictate how they were gonna make this game for some credit. Problem is they kinda alienated a lot of people who play MK games for the insane wild shit they are known for. They kept the blood and corny as humor but ditched the play style that made their games fun.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The blows, meters, and variations are what do it for me. I feel like they were shooting for a more simple, neutral based games, but the inclusions of the blows and weird meter management is what really holds this game back imo. What made mk9 so much fun was that is was a pretty barebones game. Simple use of ex moves and xrays.
Well said couldn't agree more.

Jbog

Noob
Seriously we need a few or a bunch of og mk stages wit stage fatalities! Like top screen spike mk2 and pit 1 and 2 and dead pool i mean seriously theyre mk staples!!! And just the origional mk 1 stage with all the mk 1 statues in the background and the courtyard the stage that started it all anyone agree!!

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
For me, some of it is mechanics and some is more character / story driven.

To begin with, I just find it a bit boring. After MK9 and MKX, MK11 feels so sloooowww. The fast pace of the previous two titles allowed flashy combos which were exciting to watch and provided a random element when watching games (will they stick the combo or not?). Part of what I loved about MKX/MK9 was going in to Practice mode for hours labbing / discovering crazy combos and finding the optimals that you wont drop during a game. The lack of pace and flashy combos instantly makes it less exciting to watch regardless of how much depth the game has. Ultimately, from a spectator point of view, MK9 and MKX were just more fun to watch.

The Fatal Blow mechanic is cheap and flawed. You should only get one chance to use it in a game - if you miss out on sticking it, too bad.

Having to perform fatalities in order to get currency is tedious. Fatalities are boring after you see them a couple of times and I much prefer the outros

The variation system seemed stale this time and I think it needs to go. Just give us one complete character with all of their tools. Unlike MKX, the variations seem a bit cobbled together too.

The roster, for me, is not great. With no Mileena, Tanya, Ashrah, Li Mei it is a bit of a yawn (thankfully Sindel made it!). It has been said a million times

before, but it feels like NRS is just being willfully contrary for no good reason with Mileena - she is clearly the most popular character omitted.

The storyline was terrible, dull, uninspired and just a gimick to reboot the series. There was so much possibility after the ending of MKX – what would happen with Dark Raiden, Emperor Liu / Empress Kitana, Cassie / Johnny’s green glow, D’Vorah’s deception etc. I think these could have been explored and then the ending of that game alluding to the existence of Kronika.

The two new characters having no depth in their storylines and felt pointless – they are both just lackeys. Half the characters in the MK universe are just lackeys anyway, so why bring in more? It would have been better to have Reptile/Ermac/Erron/Rain/Kabal/<insert popular lackey character> get greater powers similar to Geras for some reason.

There are good points about the game, but these are the major reasons that this is my least played MK game since Deadly Alliance.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
For me, some of it is mechanics and some is more character / story driven.

To begin with, I just find it a bit boring. After MK9 and MKX, MK11 feels so sloooowww. The fast pace of the previous two titles allowed flashy combos which were exciting to watch and provided a random element when watching games (will they stick the combo or not?). Part of what I loved about MKX/MK9 was going in to Practice mode for hours labbing / discovering crazy combos and finding the optimals that you wont drop during a game. The lack of pace and flashy combos instantly makes it less exciting to watch regardless of how much depth the game has. Ultimately, from a spectator point of view, MK9 and MKX were just more fun to watch.

The Fatal Blow mechanic is cheap and flawed. You should only get one chance to use it in a game - if you miss out on sticking it, too bad.

Having to perform fatalities in order to get currency is tedious. Fatalities are boring after you see them a couple of times and I much prefer the outros

The variation system seemed stale this time and I think it needs to go. Just give us one complete character with all of their tools. Unlike MKX, the variations seem a bit cobbled together too.

The roster, for me, is not great. With no Mileena, Tanya, Ashrah, Li Mei it is a bit of a yawn (thankfully Sindel made it!). It has been said a million times

before, but it feels like NRS is just being willfully contrary for no good reason with Mileena - she is clearly the most popular character omitted.

The storyline was terrible, dull, uninspired and just a gimick to reboot the series. There was so much possibility after the ending of MKX – what would happen with Dark Raiden, Emperor Liu / Empress Kitana, Cassie / Johnny’s green glow, D’Vorah’s deception etc. I think these could have been explored and then the ending of that game alluding to the existence of Kronika.

The two new characters having no depth in their storylines and felt pointless – they are both just lackeys. Half the characters in the MK universe are just lackeys anyway, so why bring in more? It would have been better to have Reptile/Ermac/Erron/Rain/Kabal/<insert popular lackey character> get greater powers similar to Geras for some reason.

There are good points about the game, but these are the major reasons that this is my least played MK game since Deadly Alliance.
I liked ermac more in the first timeline where he wasnt a lackey once he became a good guy tha ks to kenshi freeing him. I feel.like most characters in alot of.franchises are lackeys or pawns but how developed they are determines their personality. Remember ferra torr? Lol and yeah geras while his powers are cool is literally kronika pawn lackey. She says jump geras he says how high, he is probably her booty call too lol

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Guaranteed that anyone who can’t admit that MK11 is a good game now, especially after this most recent patch, won’t be able to admit it in the future, no matter what they change.

This isn’t to say that it’s perfect — but there are things that can be improved in every fighting game.
I believe a fair assessment of the game is that NRS decided not to take any risks with custom variations so there is significantly less creativity with predetermined variations.

On the other hand, many people in this community must confront reality and admit the following: If a locked special move were broken, they would complain. If the locked special that was normalized belonged to their favorite character, they would complain. If the locked special move were balanced, they would move on with their lives and eventually stopped caring.

Because the community largely have no idea what they want, I highly suggest NRS keep following "the vision" and continue doing what they have been doing thus far. The game is after all, as you state, a good game and the most polished Mortal Kombat game of all time.

Dr. Cheesesteak

pygophile and podophile
No more timed exclusive things (whether via Krypt Event or Store or whatever).

Re-work of FB (as others have suggested, maybe a one-use approach. Or just give a whiff/blocked FB a longer cooldown before re-use, maybe not until next round?).

Better character balance (lol...i know...).

Less grindy shit in order to unlock things (I get why they do it. But I think the ppl the grind is aimed at would still play regardless).

Better PC support (lol...i know...).

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
To me it boils down to longevity: it’s more than support and DLC characters that are needed, I need intricate or at the very least large amounts of creativity. Having only a handful of strings makes that hard, and they have customs locked behind the fear of opening the floodgates makes it even more difficult.

truly, the solution is different for everyone, for me, MK11 should have been a closer MK9 model

Art Lean

Noob
No more timed exclusive things (whether via Krypt Event or Store or whatever).
Ah yes that’s definitely another feature that can go to hell. Still missing Young Justice Liu Kang for this reason and it’s really annoying me. They started reissuing the golden events and just stopped for some unbeknownst reason and moved onto these crappy KL gear vaults instead.

Can’t they just stick him in the crystal store or make it a random tower reward at this point?

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
I believe a fair assessment of the game is that NRS decided not to take any risks with custom variations so there is significantly less creativity with predetermined variations.

On the other hand, many people in this community must confront reality and admit the following: If a locked special move were broken, they would complain. If the locked special that was normalized belonged to their favorite character, they would complain. If the locked special move were balanced, they would move on with their lives and eventually stopped caring.

Because the community largely have no idea what they want, I highly suggest NRS keep following "the vision" and continue doing what they have been doing thus far. The game is after all, as you state, a good game and the most polished Mortal Kombat game of all time.
Thank you for making this post Dave.

If anyone has been here since the beginning of MK9's release they can tell you how vacillating and contradictory the scene can be.

The community are the people ruining the game in my opinion.

Let's start with MK

I definitely agree with a lot of this.

You'll know better than most people as I know you've been since MK9.

NRS actually do address or implement changes better and more often than pretty much any other developer.

However, the community is vacillating in pretty much every regard.

-MK9-
"I hate that they keep patching the game"

During this time NRS was one pretty much the only developer reading and commenting in forums and having conversations with players and tournament organisers to get the game to where it ended up.

Most of the fuckery that ended up in the game was actually because NRS was pandering too much in regards to community feedback.

-IGUA-

I didn't play this game so much but I know it went from 1.01 to 1.06 and at the end of its life span it came together quite nicely.

This when the NRS Community started becoming known for having their games constantly patched.

-MKX-

"This game is a broken, armored, 50/50 Rushdown fest"

This game came out in 2015 with a wave of new players (which is always nice, tbh) and so much attention was put on the game (Fatal 8, NRS Prize Pooling, etc).

What happened during this time is we all learned that NRS was in fact listening.

So what did that become:

"This move really needs to be an overhead"

"This move really needs to be a low"

"Why doesn't mine launch?"

etc, etc

-i2-

"This game is boring, zoning fest with annoying 50/50s."

This is when NRS started to tone down how often they patched their games because so many people complained about it in previous titles.

All that happened is players complained that the game wasn't getting patched soon enough.

Admittedly, the game had characters and mechanics which were harming the game (just like the previous game) but my point is I feel like they attempted make Injustice 2 the more 'traditional' FG and ramped up the full screen game because players whined so much about running in MKX.

-MK11-

"This game is uncreative and boring"

I can break down so much hypocrisy and contradiction when it comes to this game.

Well, I categorically tell you that when Kustom variations were potentially on the cards for all of us to enjoy the feedback was so negative it never had a chance to come to light.

It's by no means perfect but I want to illustrate part of the mentality that NRS players hold.

"Kustom variations make it impossible for us to know the match and it's going to be broken."

Bro, Marvel Vs Capcom (or any team/assist based game) and so many other FG's have literally thousands (sometimes millions) or permutations within their gameplay and mechanics have been fine.

Now people are begging for Kustoms to return to the game. When it's so clear that it should have be implemented from the beginning.

"This character is so dumb. Why do I have to guess"

Strike/Throw is one the underpinnings of any fighting game and most other games have WAY move mixup than this game does.

Nobody wants to guess at all.

Even though, in the last game we could run up to someone and make them guess a Plus on Block, High/Low (and Left/Right in Injustice), Advancing Mid, Launching combo starter that could be combo'd into a MB Throw Restand (in MKX) for like 50%.

Yet, the idea or having to guess between a teachable throw and a strike is somehow so broken that characters need to be 'deleted'.

"NRS aren't patching the game and responding to feedback"

The game has JUST become one year old.

Even the best developers with the highest budgets don't patch games (especially FGs which mature and develop over time) as much as this community exprcts them to.

"All I see is the same characters in Top 8"

Well, firstly the same few players keep winning (which is fair enough) but we also keep asking for characters to be 'nerfed to the ground' or 'deleted' which in turn negatively affects variety as the top players (and most of the fan boy/bandwagoners) will migrate to a more capable character.

---

I've typed this on my phone so please excuse any grammar and I know that some this opinions could be better articulated but it's been on my mind for a while.

Personally, I feel that making the tournament standard 3/5 rounds like Tekken and allowing the players to create a quick Kustom Loadout would help the game the most.

This game has issues but it's only a year old and most other games take at least 2-3 seasons become decent.

I'm not shilling or riding this game as I do appreciate the community's grievances but a lot of the gameplay we have is because players asked for it.

"Remember when MKX was supposedly too much about 'Long juggle combos' and "Dumb Oki".

Now it's "The combos are boring" and "Wake-ups are too strong"

Last edited:

Komatose

The Prettiest
Character mobility since they focused on a “neutral heavy” game. Whatever that means. All the characters’ movements feel slow as shit. Combo potential is non-existent for a high execution player like myself, and the brutality combo potential sucks. They’re not even brutalities just quick fatalities. MKX did it perfectly reminiscent to UMK3... MK11?.. Terrible.

Those are my only gripes. Graphics and core gameplay is legit, plenty to do in the Krypt and towers, story was iight, Kombat League could be better but online will be online, I love the idea and still mostly have a blast in it, it’s an okay game but I would actually like it or LOVE it if the above mentioned was included which it won’t be.

They’re not even brutalities just quick fatalities. MKX did it perfectly reminiscent to UMK3... MK11?.. Terrible.
In MKX they were fatal versions of normals/specials etc. With some being throwbacks to the older fatalities. If they do exactly the same again people will complain "it's the same", so some might be slightly more elaborate such as more throwback fatalities, but still infinitely quicker than the short form movies of the current ones.

UMK3/MKT brutalities were never anything like MKX. Not sure what game you were playing? Last i recall they were a 10+ button combo performed after Finish him leading into a 30hit combo ending in an explosion. Yep... the same as MK11...

MK11's are essentially the same as MKX, except that there's a few extra conditions for some (mercy, under 50% life etc.). Otherwise most are performed in the same way. hold button on last hit with move YYYY, buff must be active and last hit from move AAA.

Komatose

The Prettiest
In MKX they were fatal versions of normals/specials etc. With some being throwbacks to the older fatalities. If they do exactly the same again people will complain "it's the same", so some might be slightly more elaborate such as more throwback fatalities, but still infinitely quicker than the short form movies of the current ones.

UMK3/MKT brutalities were never anything like MKX. Not sure what game you were playing? Last i recall they were a 10+ button combo performed after Finish him leading into a 30hit combo ending in an explosion. Yep... the same as MK11...

MK11's are essentially the same as MKX, except that there's a few extra conditions for some (mercy, under 50% life etc.). Otherwise most are performed in the same way. hold button on last hit with move YYYY, buff must be active and last hit from move AAA.
They were alike (UMK3 and MKX) in terms of longevity. As you said, 30+ hit combo. In MK11 it’s what? Like two? And most of them they have to be grounded which heavily limits your options even more in terms of prolonging the “brutality” “combo” so yeah. And notice how I put both in parenthesis. Because they’re both shit in this game, as I mentioned. I don’t like your cocky keyboard fingers so I’ll stop the conversation right here. The topic asked for my opinion, I gave my opinion. In a very logical manner at that. If you can’t connect the dots given to you, you may be slightly retarded. Welcome to the block list. Try not to be an asshole when replying to others who haven’t done you anything. For future reference. Goodbye.

Last edited:

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
I know I repeat myself but for me, just change fatal Blows to "you have to cancel into them". Doesn´t matter if canceled on block or hit (if you cancel on block your own fault), no more yolo/raw FBs that take 30% away from your healthbar for basically nothing. I don´t have a Problem when someone kills me with it when it´s a Combo ender, I got hit by something before so I did a mistake (of Course you could argue now that if I got hit by a raw FB I made a mistake too). Wouldn´t feel so salty anymore lol

And maybe throws shouldn´t eat D2s ;) (I know it´s on me if I press D2 to early)

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
Pretty much, fatal blows...theyre bullshit, also jaqui’s bitchass is poison. Other than that, i think im 50% good, 50% Yolo

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Let the winner skip cutscenes please god !!
Fatal blow once per match blocked hit or whiff
Do something with the buffer windows my execution has gone to shit cause nothing is consistent but i wouldnt know how to do that
Fatal blow and krushing blow animations halved
Get rid of the weird load screen animation where you pick your char and it does this glitchy thing where its tryin to load your customs its dumb just make it instant
Wifi filter or lower the quot threshold to 100 ms
Allow customs, people worried about matchup knowledge but the chars are very one dimensional so i doubt it will be a big issue
Can we just have a one button tech or am i being too scrubby?
Those are my gripes (there may be more) but i do enjoy the game mostly