What's new

What are the worst MU in Injustice 2 and how to fix them

Belial

Noob
I am known as a hard critic for NRS games, but I must say I'm pretty satisfied with Injustice 2 so far. A lot of really bad stuff from previous games have been fixed and some good character designs been introduced. But some really bad MU still exist in the game.

When you consider patching you try to achieve balance, as such, to diagnose a problem we must look at absolutely worst MU in the game (like 7-3 or worse) and think - why exactly this is happening? What kind of tools or chraracter interaction created this. Instead of mindlessly nerfing and buffing characters there has to be a pattern to it.

Personally, the trouble with most characters in Injustice 2 stems from MU where char A has to advance on char B, where char B has some broken tools that negate footies or has overwhelming footsies himself. I.e Catwoman can play vs Deadshot zoning but absolutely cannot play vs Batman zoning b/c bats negate footies. Same way atrocitus cannot play vs Black Adam b/c he has to advance and Adam has superiour footsies. Same Canary vs Aqua (other reasons too) etc. Batman has bad MU vs Fate b/c fate orb destroys his ability to get in and heavy zoners like Fate/Deadshot build tons of meter to negate batman footsies etc etc. Injustice 2 is about footsies but some MU just completely ignore that.

So post MU that you think are 7-3 or worse and give your reasoning.

PS (in case NRS people bump into this thread): One general change I personally would like to see is that some moves have frame data of plus 30~50 on block. No matter what kind of move it is it shouldnt provide advantage that massive, b/c eventually people will find a way to abuse this to ridiculous extent. This is a lesson not learned from MKX (where all such moves were patched out eventually)

I think that Grodd into AM has a strong case for one of the worst matchups in the game. AM's footies outrange all of Grodd's close and near-close options. AM's D2 anti-airs almost all leap and float options and even if you get your restand game going, Grodd's offense intentionally leaves AM grounded and traitable at just about any time. Feels super rough imo.

Solid point, no purpose balancing 4.5-5.5 MUs if a 7/3 MU exists.

The tricky thing about balancing is tweaking these 7/3 MUs in a positive way, that doesn't negatively effect another MU.

Because changing a character's tools WILL affect other MU's

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Harley vs Aquaman for pretty much the exact reasons you described is pretty terrible. She loses the ranged war, so she has to go in, but he heavily outfootsies her, and if you aren't careful, you'll end up getting full combo punished for opening him up.

Would not be surprised if Aquaman has the most 7-3's because this is exactly what he's designed to do. He zones and counter zones with ridiculous damage, while being unpunishable himself by a majority of the cast at range, while having some of the best footsies in the game, and his trait (which admittedly is much more fair than it was). He's totally a problem character

Top tier Zoners vs Captain Cold. Solution: make wall and ex wall projectile invulnerable during all It's animation (all ot them I mean... even traits). also, give him his gear air platforms as normal moveset; and, allow Him to charge trait on crouch animation.

Swamp Thing vs almost everyone. Solution: make His f2+3+3 have better recovery so... He can land better combos, His trait musn't go away on hit and on block and reduce his standing 2 into 20 frames, standing 3 to be special cancellable for real.

Braniac vs Zoners. Solution: allow his trait to not go away on block.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
With a possible few exceptions I think most of the 7-3s in the game are coming from characters who are really bad vs. characters that are way too good. Most of us know by now that the reason the top tiers are so dominant is because they are a threat everywhere on the screen (Atro's probably an exception to that). When you pit characters like Swamp Thing or Brainiac that have no real strengths against characters that have every strength it's going to be a bad time.

What needs to be done for balance sake is to nerf the top tiers and buff the bottom tiers. Other than that I think the balance in the game is ok.

Brainiac vs AM or the road to depression can get hit by FTD after calling your trait, can't use your mobility because of the crazy range of his d2 it is the same as the Grodd MU
I think that Grodd into AM has a strong case for one of the worst matchups in the game. AM's footies outrange all of Grodd's close and near-close options. AM's D2 anti-airs almost all leap and float options and even if you get your restand game going, Grodd's offense intentionally leaves AM grounded and traitable at just about any time. Feels super rough imo.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Supergirl vs Aquaman
Supergirl vs Black Adam
Supergirl vs Atrocitus

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
With a possible few exceptions I think most of the 7-3s in the game are coming from characters who are really bad vs. characters that are way too good. Most of us know by now that the reason the top tiers are so dominant is because they are a threat everywhere on the screen (Atro's probably an exception to that). When you pit characters like Swamp Thing or Brainiac that have no real strengths against characters that have every strength it's going to be a bad time.
Atro is still kind of a threat from everywhere, due to the need to respect raw puddle, and the ease of him getting in once he has trait out.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Supergirl vs Aquaman
Supergirl vs Black Adam
Supergirl vs Atrocitus
I don't see how Atro 7-3s Supergirl at all.

Atro is still kind of a threat from everywhere, due to the need to respect raw puddle, and the ease of him getting in once he has trait out.
He doesn't get in easily vs. every character though. A lot of time he has to crouch walk his way in either way. All F4 does is make him get in a little faster but he's still not a threat until he actually gets in.

Puddle is good from fullscreen but again against some characters he can;t even get it out due to startup, whereas something like Aqua's FTD can usually come out in between projectiles.

Atro to me is top tier because he has such ridiculously good footsies and utility. But unlike most of the other top tier there are areas where he does have to struggle just a little bit.

Last edited: