What's new

What are some good anti Robot Smoke tactics?

Hello everyone :D

Recently, I just purchased UMK3 for XBLA, mainly for Sega Saturn nostalgia and Live play. However, I realize that while I may have thought I was good 10 years ago against my friends, in the overall scheme of things, I suck at it. I never realized that UMK3 has such depth to it, and after viewing some combo vids, I want to get good at this game.

I'm picking up Stryker at the moment, and after reading his Character Guide here, I seem to be doing well with him (still working on that infinite though). However, there seems to be one character that I have great difficulty in fighting: Robot Smoke, particularly when they turtle. I've heard the general "bait out the teleport punch" strategy, and while this works to an extent, against better players I find I have some trouble. As far as I can tell, jump-in = aaTP, run = TP as soon as I get in range to attack/start attacking, or if they block, they hold away so I can't throw, and when I try to chip them I end up eating yet another TP.

My question is: what are some good anti Robot Smoke tactics? Counter characters are welcome info as well, since I've been thinking about learning some other kombatants. Any help to improve my game against him would be much appreciated.

The only good tactics I have is when you fight Robo Smoke WITH Robo Smoke. When the fight starts, The CPU Smoke will probably turn invisible. Do a teleport uppercut (f,f,lk) to avoid any confusion where CPU Smoke is. When CPU Smoke jumps, be ready to do your harpoon (b,b,lp) when he lands. From there, if you time it right, Do your 5-hit combo (hp,hp,lk,hk,lp). Two things that are cool about this method is it actually works on anybody and it's useful when somebody's entering the scene in an endurance match. Hope this helps ya.

PLAYA96

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Run in, LP, and cancel with block, in short incriments. Try to bait a Spear or Teleport uppercut out of them, and punish. You can't jump over him really because of his air throw, so try and stay on the ground, ready to block, and immediately counter at all times.

Derek

Noob
Shock said:
Run in, LP, and cancel with block, in short incriments. Try to bait a Spear or Teleport uppercut out of them, and punish. You can't jump over him really because of his air throw, so try and stay on the ground, ready to block, and immediately counter at all times.
You could have just said turtle like a mofo :)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Sorta. If you turtle he'll RJ you to death. You want to be defensively offensive!