What's new

What’s next after 3rd variations?

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
If customs were made legal my complaint Would be that most likely the variations people use would always be made up of the best moves and there would be little incentive to pick others
Let me use skarlet as an example:

I don’t know many people that would pick Skarlet to have Boiling Point over Ratch they both do the same thing ones safer and faster and they conflict
Few people would ever choose to forgo to the god like teleport, so the true wiggle room for a custom would be the parry or something else, and I don’t see people picking only buffs when the best skarlet is clearly made one way

The custom moves as they are now wouldn’t make custom variations fun, so when I advocate for it I also advocate for an overhaul on the moves but I think that’s asking too much
Right it’s too late in game life change all the moves in the game like that .

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
After Spawn comes out they should wait a few months, then scrap all variations and start from scratch for KP2.

Make base loadouts more complete. STRING EXTENSIONS SHOULD NEVER BE CONSIDERED AS SLOT MOVES ON ANY CHARACTER.

Add new worthwhile strings and a few new special moves for everyone, a bit better dash speed and make non-revenant and light raiden the default looks on the select screen. It's been 6 months already and everyone already knows the plot twist.
Scraping the variations will make whole new game pretty much . That not happening . Wishful thinking :(

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
If customs were made legal my complaint Would be that most likely the variations people use would always be made up of the best moves and there would be little incentive to pick others
You aren't wrong, but this will always happen when any kind of choice is involved. It's like saying NRS shouldn't bother adding new characters since KL will still be filled with Kangs.

The issue is that the devs are using the limited ability slots as a shortcut to balancing the variations and abilities instead of taking the time to address the bad or unbalanced abilities themselves.

I not very familiar with Skarlet, but if Bloodport would really he as common as you say it ge erally means one of a few things:
  1. The character is broken/fundamentally flawed without it and needs it to function.
  2. The other options are too weak and require changes to be viable alternatives.
  3. Bloodport is too strong compared to the other options and needs to be toned down.
You could of course split it up from the other stuff via variations like NRS is doing, but that doesn't really fix any of the potientual issues it just puts then in a neat box to the side where they hope the problem will go away.