What's new

What’s next after 3rd variations?

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I think that this is something we should consider in terms of longevity and everything. I love that the third variations are coming and I am so happy they are coming now because I personally have felt the game getting a bit stale for me, does anyone else feel this way?
However, after third variations does that mean we’ll be getting a fourth one eventually or will customs be legal at that point? And if so, when?

the game released in April, with 6 months passing (October) it is now a third variation. So a year into the life cycle do you think we’ll finally have customs or we’ll have fourth variations? Or is it a full stop?

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I think they should make classes that have kustom moves that combo with each other. They have alot of those and i only have seen chem burn and molotov together

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
Give all the base characters more strings and possibly special moves (like how Tekken does it) . A lot of fighters feel barebones and lacking in combo and special move variability.

Like give Raiden his teleport on all variations. Seriously, what's Raiden without his iconic sparkport? A fucking tragedy, that's what. I'm still appalled that they did this to him.

I've only played MK a handful of times since the end of the first kombat league season (Elder God:p 200+hrs played) because the game has gotten stale due to my favorite characters being neutured and bastardized versions of what they once were. If NRS gives the cast more to work with then I can definitely see myself playing the game all of the time again.

The latest patch was a nice change to the meta, though I think they should have gone a little more conservative with the nerfs and a bit more liberal with the buffs (especially in regards to fighters with widely unused variations).
I look forward to the upcoming patch and DLC characters, though in future patches I think all encompassing character changes (Tekken!!!) will be necessary to keep MK11 alive and fresh.

Slymind

Noob
I believe that it's still possible to make a 4th variation, many characters will still have moves left. It will take some time naturally, but i think it's possible.

The inevitable slow decline and waiting for the next game.

If Ranked stays the way it is (Kombat League with its several bullshit and no other way to play Ranked during season) I'll take a break after December. For me the kombat itself is the best in the NRS era and I enjoy the matches but everything else is lacking.

Single player is nothing but Multiverse with more modifiers as you can also equip modifiers now - and its a must to balance the AI modifiers. That's not variety for me. The last time NRs went for something original was Injustice Gods Among Us. You could play Heroes/Villains only which was so refreshing! Why would you beat up and murder your daughter as Johnny Cage when you can beat up the whole rogues gallery? Kombo Heaven was something else for the dexterous kombo-kings. Fully charged was another kombo-heavy mode where you can do the kool shit without caring about meters. I enjoyed Full House a lot more than Endless because I don't want to play endlessly, I want to beat the whole kast then want my rewards for beating the whole kast. But in Endless you must lose in the end. That kills the whole fun for me. When I beat Full House without a loss, it was so satisfying. That was taken away from us with Endless. That's a dealbreaker for me.

So IGAU had variety among the ladder modes but all we have since then is Towers with modifiers but no real variety. Towers of Time and Multiverse are basically the same without any kreative add-ons.

Injustice 2 had Kompetitive and Kasual Player Matches. So NRS could include a two in one mode if they wanted to. So a lot of us hoped that MK11 will have Tournament Ranked and Kustom Ranked with the tourney legal variations and Kustom moves. But no, you can't even play Kustom Variations in Ranked even if you want to. Why?

We have first-to-3 Sets in Ranked at launch. They removed it kompletely, you can't even choose to play like that. Why? Intead giving you more kontent, they limit you several ways in MK11 and that makes it boring.

If I could play FT3 Ranked whenever I want or play Kustom Variations in Ranked at home whenever I want I could see myself playing MK11 for a long time. But right now it's ranked or nothing for me. And when I'm fed up with KL stupidity I don't even want to play Ranked=I don't feel like to play the game at all. So since Spawn was my most wanted kombatant, I'll definetely return when he is released but if everything stays the way as it is now I'll take a break from December to March. That's how much I'm interested in Joker.

Last edited:

kantboy-2

Ripper
After Spawn comes out they should wait a few months, then scrap all variations and start from scratch for KP2.

Make base loadouts more complete. STRING EXTENSIONS SHOULD NEVER BE CONSIDERED AS SLOT MOVES ON ANY CHARACTER.

Add new worthwhile strings and a few new special moves for everyone, a bit better dash speed and make non-revenant and light raiden the default looks on the select screen. It's been 6 months already and everyone already knows the plot twist.

I think that this is something we should consider in terms of longevity and everything. I love that the third variations are coming and I am so happy they are coming now because I personally have felt the game getting a bit stale for me, does anyone else feel this way?
However, after third variations does that mean we’ll be getting a fourth one eventually or will customs be legal at that point? And if so, when?

the game released in April, with 6 months passing (October) it is now a third variation. So a year into the life cycle do you think we’ll finally have customs or we’ll have fourth variations? Or is it a full stop?
great question and its why my other thread was so huge. the game lacks depth. I think this is the only dlc pack we are getting and its why they spread it out so much. I do not see the game thriving after a year or so except with the super hardcore tournament players trying to make a living.

I believe that it's still possible to make a 4th variation, many characters will still have moves left. It will take some time naturally, but i think it's possible.
Many but not all, for instance Kollector doesn't have anything left while Baraka has his Flag moves. Even if they tweak them I can't help but feel 4th variations will for the most part feel like Leftovers or in Sonya's case comical cuz all she would get is her jumping fly kick.

Slymind

Noob
Many but not all, for instance Kollector doesn't have anything left while Baraka has his Flag moves. Even if they tweak them I can't help but feel 4th variations will for the most part feel like Leftovers or in Sonya's case comical cuz all she would get is her jumping fly kick.
Yes, but it's possible that they can create some new moves and/or tweak old ones. Not saying it will happen, but maybe it could.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I doubt we'll be getting a fourth, but the two things that might happen are:
  • A general shifting around of moves, addiing of some extra things, and rebalancing, a la late into MKX's life.
  • Opening up of custom variations eventually once they feel that all the movesets are significantly balanced
MK11 is in a good state balance-wise, and I think it's smart to ride that out competitively before messing with the formula. It's going to take several months just to flesh out everything after this new patch.

We don't even have the 3rd variations yet though, so we should probably just explore those before worrying about the next move.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
This. DLC is still coming.

On top of that, the general game systems have ALL undergone changes since release due to feedback (ToT, getting currency playing online, the Krypt, game balance, KL) and will likely continue to get changes to address other issues as time goes by. There's balance changes coming with the 3rd variation patch. There's more updates coming to ToT with the 3rd variation patch. Terminator releases in a little over a week IIRC with Sindel following in a little under 2 months.

At this point, I feel that customs are not going to come to ranked / pro play at any point in this game's lifespan. NRS is locked into the preset variation system from both a design and a balance standpoint. I've come to this conclusion predominantly based on what Steph said on the recent Kast: that the non-preset-variation moves were never intended for ranked / pro play so they were never balanced to be. That tells me that the 2 variation system was decided upon long ago and the pre-release balancing efforts went entirely to those variations as that would be the core of the game. Consider all the other potential moves a bonus for casual play just like they were in IJ2.

If the argument being made for customs is less about having all options and more about the mixing of the moves so you're not locked to whatever NRS has decided on, I dont see the point. It's been said any number of times here: full customs would only result in the best combinations being utilized per character with the only deviations being matchup specific. Player expression would likely surge up greatly immediately after the opening of customs; but said expression would also immediately plummet to even worse than it is now as everyone looking to win settles on the best 1-2 combinations per character, resulting in the same sort of 1-2 variations we have now.

I really do not see customs ever happening. It makes 0 logical sense for NRS to scrap ALL of their design and balance work up until this point. Suddenly every balance decision is no longer made within a defined character space of the variation moves are in. Instead, every balance decision has to be made with every possible variation combination in mind which would be insanity for the balance team.

To conclude, I'd like to give a hot take I've thought about for quite a while: the people who are kicking and screaming about this game NEEDING customs would still not be satisfied if they came. It's clear the base game of MK11 just is not for them and making an immense change of that scale would change very little in the long term for them.

To conclude, I'd like to give a hot take I've thought about for quite a while: the people who are kicking and screaming about this game NEEDING customs would still not be satisfied if they came.
Yep. Bookmark that. The day that it happens, after the first posts of Finally!, About time!, Woohoo!, it's going to go straight back to the same complaints.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
If customs were made legal my complaint Would be that most likely the variations people use would always be made up of the best moves and there would be little incentive to pick others
Let me use skarlet as an example:

I don’t know many people that would pick Skarlet to have Boiling Point over Ratch they both do the same thing ones safer and faster and they conflict
Few people would ever choose to forgo to the god like teleport, so the true wiggle room for a custom would be the parry or something else, and I don’t see people picking only buffs when the best skarlet is clearly made one way

The custom moves as they are now wouldn’t make custom variations fun, so when I advocate for it I also advocate for an overhaul on the moves but I think that’s asking too much

I'm so conflicted with this game. On one side I love NRS and all things MK and the game is too gorgeous to not play. Characters look and act cooler than ever. Although I agreed with some that it feels too injusticey but that's another story. Gameplay wise.... Eesh. We are playing rock, paper, scissors the fighting game. With an mk skin. I still have fun at times and I honestly feel like this game has improved me as a player, neutral and footsie wise. But Jesus Christ is it dry. Playing long sets is a chore. anti airs give me a boner but combos are so cut and dry. You have like one choice of ender for so much of the cast.

I've said it before but they should just open the floodgates and let every move be part of a characters kit. Fuck variations and (sadly) fuck balance. Maybe a patch or two would help the latter. This will never happen tho.

On the plus side maybe time will tell different. I thought the same thing about MKX and its variation system, but seeing players like ninjakilla and onisamma blew my mind a little and made me rethink the MKX meta. Maybe nrs are really onto something. All said and done tho I do not like variations as every character feels incomplete. And it hurts my soul to say this as a life long mk player but.... Whens injustice 3??

Sorry for rambling, kudos if you read this far. Booze cowrote this

hopefully mechanics changes and hitbox fixes. full customs unlocked. wifi filter. the ability to purchase whatever we want with time coins

Last edited:

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
Customs can’t become legal or you will see shit storm of unbalanced play . Give lui kang dragon gift , lower fireball and teleport . People whine now .. oof