What's new

Weapon System/Weapon variation switch mid match theory

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So here is the thing, i've seen some backlash on the possibility of weapons returning and some people even said they don't need to see to classify it as trash.

And i'm really curious to see how NRS its going to do this, remember, this is just speculation and we will only be able to confirm AFTER we see some gameplay, but chances are similar to MKA, MKD, MKDA and MK40, you will be able to switch to a weapon stance and utilize extended hitboxs in match.

We don't know how this is going to play out yet, but you really shouldn't worry as much, some may even think that this system wasn't tried before in a 2D fighting game setting, i just want to let you know, that it was.

If you look for it there is a 2D fighting game named Ninja Master's Haoh Ninpo Cho, where a player picks any character in the game and on top of having normals, specials, supers and desperations, and the fun part, that game plays like a combination of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, meaning you have normals, command normals, specials, a dial string system, a back to block system and to top it off at any given point in the game, you can press Strong Punch and Weak Kick (B+C) and draw a weapon your character carries and use moves available at your disposal.

So i'm thinking maybe NRS its going to take a similar Ninja Master's Route based on what they learned from previous games, this including the 3D era which its only fair if it does resembling it more, so switching into a weapon variation might be possible in the game and everyone with access to a weapon will possible have extended normals, Disjointed hitboxes and so on.

I can already imagine the "Many people complained about disjointed hitboxes, so lets give everyone a variation where most of the moves have disjointed members so it becomes fair, ranged vs ranged, fighting fire with fire" phrase, so trully sounds like something NRS would have done.

But as a learner and by trying to make an MK game on my own before, i always though this could be the next logical step possible if executed right, so lets wait and see.

Its hard to find decent gameplay on Ninja Masters these days and people play it more for combos, but there is a some around if you look for it.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
To quote myself:

One of the things I didn't like about the 3D era games, from MK4-MKA, is that every character was appointed with a weapon to wield. And a lot of those weapons just didn't fit the characters, imo.

There are already a good bunch who have weapons in their moveset - Kitana with her fans, Mileena with her sais, Jade with her staff, Scorpion with his swords, Kenshi with his katana, Takeda with his whips, etc. Those characters should of course keep their weapons as part of their natural moveset.

However, then characters like Johnny Cage, Sonya, Ermac, Reptile, Liu Kang, etc, who don't have weapons naturally as part of their moveset, I personally don't think they should get a weapon shoved into their hands JUST to have a weapon. I'd rather the NRS team would be more creative with their movesets than just going "Here, Sonya, here's a stick!".

From what I understand of the description of the gameplay we've gotten so far, we will be able to customise the characters' movesets in different ways and then save them as Variations, instead of them being pre-made as in MKX. And I find that a lot more appealing than the characters getting a "Weapon Variation/Style" each, like they did in the 3D era games.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
To quote myself:

One of the things I didn't like about the 3D era games, from MK4-MKA, is that every character was appointed with a weapon to wield. And a lot of those weapons just didn't fit the characters, imo.

There are already a good bunch who have weapons in their moveset - Kitana with her fans, Mileena with her sais, Jade with her staff, Scorpion with his swords, Kenshi with his katana, Takeda with his whips, etc. Those characters should of course keep their weapons as part of their natural moveset.

However, then characters like Johnny Cage, Sonya, Ermac, Reptile, Liu Kang, etc, who don't have weapons naturally as part of their moveset, I personally don't think they should get a weapon shoved into their hands JUST to have a weapon. I'd rather the NRS team would be more creative with their movesets than just going "Here, Sonya, here's a stick!".

From what I understand of the description of the gameplay we've gotten so far, we will be able to customise the characters' movesets in different ways and then save them as Variations, instead of them being pre-made as in MKX. And I find that a lot more appealing than the characters getting a "Weapon Variation/Style" each, like they did in the 3D era games.
I agree with this so much, some characters are who they are with their weapons and some aren’t. Kung Lao’s hat is is one of his biggest features so having it worked into his move set works, but Liu Kang really shouldn’t have a weapon

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
I think MK9 nailed it with having some moves being made by a weapon, while others were with limbs.
Ermac with an axe doesn't sound right, while Raiden having a staff just sounds good.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I have to wonder how you make the play style situation even more fluid and expect to deal with all the competitive balance complaints. I'm sure they have thought about all that, but then I wasn't really a fan of how they solved what gear did to IJ2.

I never got to take any advantage of all that gear stuff in IJ2. At least variations were a part of the core game for MKX and the player base wasn't fractured in between two groups. I don't really want to play another game where the casual corner is where all the cool stuff is.

And at some point infinite freedom isn't a positive. Variations were focused and character appropriate. When the public gets to slap together all kinds of rando stuff, it kind of ruins artistic cohesiveness of a product, and severely limits creative options to go deep into something that doesn't translate into another context.

All that said there is way too little go on and freak out too much over. I had more fun with MKX than anything I had in years before it, but I really need to know more before I can begin to have any interest MK11. Right now I feel like I know nothing and sit somewhere between 0-2% hype. I'll just chill until that January reveal event, and see what I think then.