What's new

Wavedashing in MK11

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
If youre still struggling with this, Ill do my best to try to describe how it clicked for me and I began to be able to practice it more practically.

Take time to watch yourself cancel a regular dash. Notice that you can block to cancel at any point during the dash. Now spend time watching the regular dash animation.

Youll notice for the most part, the first half of a characters dash is what travels the most the fastest. You want to cancel at the moment it slows down, or as close to that as possible. After that, you can simply “plink” forward-Blk, forward-blk.

The first dash is what matters, the rest is simple rhythm.

Matix218

Get over here!
I dont see this being a huge deal except for characters that have a slow forward walk but a really fast forward dash. I main scorpion and this does not seem like something that would benefit him very much. But I am going to play with it in training mode anyway.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Anyone saying it doesnt make a difference isnt playing the game. Perfected, this would make you move so fast that you would control the screen. Zoning would be much less effective. Footsies would be dumb easier. Of course only once you could effectively use it.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
I was initially practicing with Skarlet, before @Eddy Wang discovered she has the fastest walk and dash speeds in the game. Not sure if i was doing it correctly, but the times it seemed i did i feel she was actually travelling slightly more slowly than her normal dashes, though likely more safely. She would probably never want to wavedash in however, so i'll practice it backwards tonight.

When i did it with Kabal today, it was quite obvious when it was done correctly. Huge speed increase.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Oak describes it pretty well, definitely has to do with rhythm of button presses.

I haven't been able to get it down precisely but one thing that helped me understand it when first practicing if you dash and at any point during the dash tap block then F you should see your character quickly start the block animation and then dash forward again. From there it is about figuring out the F, Block, F, Block rhythm.

I can't do the wave dashing consistently but can consistently get out the above mini wavedash. Helps me with positioning a bit closer to my desired mid-range as Kotal, not sure its as helpful to characters will not as good dashes.

K3M1K4l

Banned
I refuse to learn something that looks so stupid (animation)

I’ve already ran into multiple people using this technique and it is clearly advantageous. You may want to reconsider.

I will say I’m having trouble getting it down with raiden. If anyone uses that char, fwm with some tips.

Last edited:

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
But how useful is it in an actual match? It looks like if you do one too many you'll get punished to hell and back and, at least to me, it doesn't look like learning this would be more important than continuing to practice tricky combos and useful setups.
You can immediately cancel with block. It’s useful because not only is it fast but you’re basically blocking during the whole advance.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You can immediately cancel with block. It’s useful because not only is it fast but you’re basically blocking during the whole advance.
Huh, okay that's interesting. I'm able to do it with Jax, I feel that it's useful for him.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Idk it seems pretty useful to me. During one of Sylvrrye's matches at CB he was 100% full screen zoning his opponent before he started wave dashing and he ended up right next to the dude in one second

For Kotal it could be a game changer since you could in theory get good oki off his normal command grab with it. You already get meaty F24 so you could train them to block then wavedash right up to them